Quarantine Order from Greece

reck

Has anyone received a Quarantine Order from the Greek Government?  My husband and I were quarantined in Greece for 10 days as required by their laws.  (5 days strict quarantine and 5 days additional with a negative result to return to the US.)  We have Allianz insurance and they will not accept our state lab positive result, letter from the hotel who implemented the quarantine, change of flights and subsequent negative test result.  I have contacted the Greek Ministry of Health and  the Tampa Greek Embassy who say they do not issue such a document.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.

4 hours ago, reck said:

Has anyone received a Quarantine Order from the Greek Government?  My husband and I were quarantined in Greece for 10 days as required by their laws.  (5 days strict quarantine and 5 days additional with a negative result to return to the US.)  We have Allianz insurance and they will not accept our state lab positive result, letter from the hotel who implemented the quarantine, change of flights and subsequent negative test result.  I have contacted the Greek Ministry of Health and  the Tampa Greek Embassy who say they do not issue such a document.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.

“State” lab? 
Positive before cruise (and denied boarding), during cruise (if so, why didn’t cruise line pay your expenses), etc.?

Who told you that you had to quarantine? Do you have the letter the authorities say doesn’t exist?

In all honesty, you post makes no sense with incomplete info.

When you post on the CC insurance forum, I advise making a list of the facts in chronological order.  Making an insurance claim requires you to do specific things in specific order ... the insurance company is always looking for an excuse to deny the claim.  Everything must be done 'just so' when it comes to filing a claim.  A situation like yours is complex and nobody can help you unless they understand exactly what happened. 

• Like 1

I read this as a positive test result from gov't sponsored lab in Greece prior to the quarantine.  The Insurance carrier seems to want a letter of quarantine from Greece public health.   

It sounds as though they traveled to Greece and either took a pre-cruise covid test or a pre-flight to US covid test and had to quarantine for 10 days.

I think the first step is to contact Allianz and find out specifically what documentation they need. If what they want doesn't exist, you could try filing the claim and then appeal it when it's denied. 

I think we can surmise that the OP was tested, prior to the elimination of the testing requirement, in order to return to the USA.  In Greece there are many testing places some of which are public and others operated by private labs.  Before we flew home from Greece we needed to be tested and simply went to a government authorized lab (at a small urgent care facility) on the island of Paxos.  We had our test results within 10 minutes and given a print-out from the facility that we used to satisfy the airline.  

As to Allianz, we have seen a few recent reports that they are hesitant to pay claims related to travel.  In fact, there was recently an interesting post on the CC/Cruise/Travel Insurance blog about Allianz rejecting a trip interruption claim for strange reasons.  The funny thing was that once the party posted their negative experience (and a few of us commented with suggestions how to get the claim paid) the Allianz folks strangely e-mailed the poster and said they had reconsidered the claim and were now going to pay it in full.

So I would suggest to the OP that they not accept the claim denial without taking it to the next step which is to appeal and request reconsideration.  If that fails they can take the issue to their State Insurance Department and also bring it to the attention of Elliott.org which is an excellent consumer advocacy group that works on behalf of travelers.   But folks need to keep in mind that when appealing negative insurance company rulings, it is very important to have all your ducks in a row including adequate documentation.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1