Room Steward and First Time Cruisers

Zeke Eak

A lot of people on this site mention how appreciative they are of their Steward, and how wonderful he/she is. However, most of the people posting on this site seem to be "professional" cruisers with a lot more clout than a first timer. 

I'm wondering as a first time cruiser how often I will see (and potentially interact with my Room Steward). I'll be on the Majestic in September.

Thank you

Normally the steward will introduce themself to you when you first arrive in your cabin.  That is a good time to tell them if you have any special requests.

Thereafter,  you will probably bump into them in the corridor from time to time,  when you will exchange pleasantries.  

Unless you have any special reason to talk to him/her,  that will be about it. 

A good steward goes about their work so efficiently that you do not even know they are there. 

PS - just make  sure you switch on the cabin free sign when you leave your cabin in the morning,  so the steward can service your room. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LACruiser88 said:

In our experience, we interact with our Room Steward frequently.  We usually get to know them and they us pretty well.  A good Room Steward can really enhance your cruise experience.

Enjoy!

I suppose it depends on what level of service you require.  

The steward is in the cabin for 20 minutes a day. We will chat if we bump into him/her in the corridor. That is about it. 

The stewards have multiple cabins to service. The more time you spend "interacting" with them, the harder they have to work elsewhere.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Your room steward will be in your hall every morning and every evening as they clean rooms and provide turn down service and so you are likely to bump into them a couple times a day.  How much you interact with them beyond greetings is up to you and how often you need things from them.  

• Like 3

Just now, prmssk said:

Your room steward will be in your hall every morning and every evening as they clean rooms and provide turn down service and so you are likely to bump into them a couple times a day.  How much you interact with them beyond greetings is up to you and how often you need things from them.  

Unless things have changed in the last 6 weeks,  no turn down service any more. (Thank goodness)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Unless things have changed in the last 6 weeks,  no turn down service any more. (Thank goodness)

It happened automatically on the Caribbean Princess just a few weeks ago.  And it has been available upon request all along so room stewards have still been in the hallway in the evenings for those rooms that requested it.  I personally like it.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, prmssk said:

It happened automatically on the Caribbean Princess just a few weeks ago.  And it has been available upon request all along so room stewards have still been in the hallway in the evenings for those rooms that requested it.  I personally like it.

I suppose it depends on the ship. No turn down service on Sky in November, and no turn diwn service on Regal last month. 

No stewards in evidence in the corridors at any time in the afternoon or evening. 

I don't know that I'll be needing turn down service. I would have liked the chocolate (just because), but I understand that does not happen anymore. 

This may be a weird (and maybe poorly phrased) question, but how does a steward introduce himself if multiple people are checking into their rooms at the same time?

I guess (having never cruised) I'm trying to compare the steward to a hotel maid. I rarely see a hotel maid, and don't really interact beyond "hello" if I do run into one in the hall or room. 

4 minutes ago, Zeke Eak said:

how does a steward introduce himself if multiple people are checking into their rooms at the same time?

Passengers will check-in to their cabins over a 4 to 6 hour period, not all at once.  You will meet them as they have time on the first day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zeke Eak said:

I don't know that I'll be needing turn down service. I would have liked the chocolate (just because), but I understand that does not happen anymore. 

This may be a weird (and maybe poorly phrased) question, but how does a steward introduce himself if multiple people are checking into their rooms at the same time?

I guess (having never cruised) I'm trying to compare the steward to a hotel maid. I rarely see a hotel maid, and don't really interact beyond "hello" if I do run into one in the hall or room. 

I’ve been on a few cruises and usually the steward is tidying up and what not and they will keep an eye out for you so they can introduce themselves. Plus the princess ships have the medallion so they can literally tell where you are. Usually if you request something on the app such as a robe or extra pillows or something it will probably be the steward who brings it to you. And they will usually be in your specific part of the ship a few times a day so it’s pretty likely you will see them as you’re coming or going and they will usually make an effort to say hi and ask you how everything is going.

• Like 1

You will meet and enjoy the cabin steward service. Ask is you want something like extra towels, soap, etc. If you wish turn down service request it. For the most part cabin stewards do their magic when you are not around.

• Like 2

I have always thought the best stewards are the ones I rarely see. My room is magically refreshed while I am away. If I have no issues with remotes, ice, toilets, tv or whatever, I don't need to see a lot of them. (You would be surprised how good they are at fixing tvs when there are issues.)

Happy to say hello in the hallway when I see them, but generally I don't need to learn their life stories, nor they mine. 

Others really enjoy engaging a lot with them...different strokes for different folks....

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I have always thought the best stewards are the ones I rarely see. My room is magically refreshed while I am away. If I have no issues with remotes, ice, toilets, tv or whatever, I don't need to see a lot of them. (You would be surprised how good they are at fixing tvs when there are issues.)

Happy to say hello in the hallway when I see them, but generally I don't need to learn their life stories, nor they mine. 

Others really enjoy engaging a lot with them...different strokes for different folks....

Ditto.  Especially during pandemic the last thing weve been doing is chatting up the steward,

or asking for More cabin service. 

I also don't need Room or drink service coming into our cabin. Fewer people coming and

going the better.  I'm masked as I stop them at the door, take the tray, and say

Thanks very much. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zeke Eak said:

A lot of people on this site mention how appreciative they are of their Steward, and how wonderful he/she is. However, most of the people posting on this site seem to be "professional" cruisers with a lot more clout than a first timer. 

I'm wondering as a first time cruiser how often I will see (and potentially interact with my Room Steward). I'll be on the Majestic in September.

Thank you

First time cruiser or one hundred time cruiser makes no difference at all. There is no "clout" involved. Your steward will make sure he (or she) introduces himself to you and will be sure to tell you his name. There will be a card in the room (likely near the telephone) with the steward's name and contact number.

My wife always asks to have the ice bucket filled daily. These days we ask to have the Patter placed in the cabin in the evening. I love the turn down service but my wife doesn't care so when he asked (yes, he made sure to let us know it was available) if we wanted the turn down service she said no. (The stewards work hard as it is and this saves them the extra work. I love the "pampered" feeling but I understand why my wife said not to bother.)

As @wowzz said above, please remember to set the electronic sign outside your door to let the steward know your room is unoccupied so he/she can make up the room while you are gone. We have only ever had one poor room steward. (He was truly horrible.) All the others have been great. If you have any special requests that come up be sure to let the steward know. (Don't ask the steward about things related to Room Service though. It's not the steward's job.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I like the evening turn down service. It’s nice to come back to your room in the evening and have a refreshed room. If you don’t want it just let the steward know. 

• Like 2

We just tell the steward that we only need room refresh once a day.  We also ask for a paper Platter every evening and a full ice bucket. Other than that we rarely see them. Which is how we like i.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zeke Eak said:

Thank you

The Steward doesn't care if you are a professional poster. You will be served the same as any other cruiser.

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

The turn down service is only by request now. Should you request this make sure you compensate the steward for their service. I do ask the steward for the Patter for each day. 

Tom😀

3 hours ago, Zeke Eak said:

They know when you’re in your stateroom through the Medallion App. 

Tom😀

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses. 
This will be my wife’s and my third chance at our first cruise. COVID canceled the other two. What was supposed to be a 30th anniversary has now become a 32nd. Very much looking forward to to it. 
Safe travels everyone. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

A good steward goes about their work so efficiently that you do not even know they are there. 

You can say that again.  One night I got up to go to the bathroom and, when I returned, my bed was made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

20 minutes ago, trbarton said:

The turn down service is only by request now. Should you request this make sure you compensate the steward for their service. I do ask the steward for the Patter for each day. 

Tom😀

This appears to be changing.  Turn down service happened automatically on the Caribbean Princess in June.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

You can say that again.  One night I got up to go to the bathroom and, when I returned, my bed was made.

We had a really good steward. One night I got up to go to the bathroom and when I returned my wife was asleep in the bed and the bed was made.

• Haha 4