Question about Windjammer Buffet

I have cruised shortly after leg surgery.  This is what we did.  Go to the windjammer early or late and sit close to the food stations.  DH knows what I like and brought me a plate.  Silverware tucked into a pants pocket.  He would then go get his plate.  By then, wait staff would stop by and I would tell them what we wanted to drink.  He would pick up dessert for both of us.  It really wasn't all that complicated.  Toting trays and carryalls might not be necessary.  Just sharing our experience.    

• Like 1

We had same problem on a cruise last March. It was a total hassle to make so many trips.  

On our next cruise in Feb, we will be taking Byob trays.  Bright blue plastic and a bright green one. Don't remember where we got them from. Also, after our recent experience, not too proud to ask for help.  We eat in either a specialty restaurant or WJ as we are not fans of MDR.  

It is much more desirable to minimize trips so both of us can eat together and have hot food.  That would include sitting close as possible to buffet line and getting all drinks, utensils, condiments in

place on table prior to food.  We even tried ordering room service dinner. That did not work so well as the food temp was too cool.

BYOB trays is the way to go. Just remember to have fun!

• Like 1

Whenever we are in a packed food court or windjammer , we find a table and then she goes to get her food while i occupy the table . 

Then when she returns i go find something to eat .

She is a slow eater and i am a fast eater , so we finish eating around the same time as i dont want her to wait for me to start eating.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BND said:

Royal does not have trays out in the WJ but I know you can ask for one.  They use them to deliver room service.  Carnival used to have trays, but we've been cruising on RCI for 14 years and haven't seen trays out in the WJ.  I think the main reason they got rid of them is that it's just one more thing to collect and wash.   Plus, some people are gluttons and will put as much food as they can on the trays whether they were eating it or not.  Plates mean people have to go back if they want additional.  It's also a way for the cruise line to actually save on food costs as people aren't wasting as much so they don't have to make as much.  

That said, I have seen many crew members helping people carry, especially people using walkers or canes.  All you have to do is ask.  Or, as another said, get him a plate of food and then gets yours.  DH and I do that once we've found a seat if it's crowded.    I was injured almost 3 years ago and we went to a brunch buffet when I wasn't able to carry a plate easily.  I looked at the items and told DH what I wanted in general.  He then filled my plate and brought it to me before he got his food.  Fortunately, I can walk and carry things fine now but the OP will hardly be alone.

I thought exactly the same thing: 

- Trays are one more thing for the staff to clean, and if we didn't have this special situation going on, I wouldn't care a bit.  

- A tray does allow a person to pile on the food -- well, that IS what I'm trying to do, but I'm not trying to hog it all for myself.  

My husband doesn't have a walker or a cane, so he doesn't appear to need special help.  That makes him even more self-conscious; he doesn't want people to think he's trying to get special treatment.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Ok I confess I take way too much stuff but this is a good idea.  The DH or I get coffee/pastries for each other in the am.  ( Room service is inconsistent on timing).  This would make it so much easier!

We've talked about me going to the buffet alone in the morning to pick up coffee and pastries.  That seems do-able because I can pile pastries on a single plate to take back to the room.  

Do they have to-go coffee cups with lids?  Or should I bring a package from home?  

19 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Room service is still on trays, and I've seen people keep them.  I've also seen people bring their own.

I think room service will always have to be on trays.  I'm going to count on getting a tray from room service /holding on to it.  That seems to be cheapest /easiest. 

16 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We've talked about me going to the buffet alone in the morning to pick up coffee and pastries.  That seems do-able because I can pile pastries on a single plate to take back to the room.  

Do they have to-go coffee cups with lids?  Or should I bring a package from home?  

You can get continental breakfast for free with room service.   

The only place I have seen to go coffee cups with lids is the lounges or Starbucks on some ships.

If diamond you can get nice selection from diamond lounge plus nice free coffee options, lattes, capuccino, etc. They usually open at 7 am.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Exactly.  I can't believe they don't have trays in the Windjammer. 

The "FU" part of me really thinks bringing a tray of my own onboard (or snagging one from Room Service) would solve the whole problem.  

Windjammer had Trays for Decades, funny thing is they had China not Plastic plates/Bowls back then. 

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Windjammer had Trays for Decades, funny thing is they had China not Plastic plates/Bowls back then. 

Those go great with the tile floors in there 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

Those go great with the tile floors in there 🙂

Ha, yeah! Can remember first time as a Single Father took my Wee Ones on Cruise. Was sitting at a table in WJ with my 4yr old, my 7yr old walked with a Tray when the heavy china plates shifted, SMASH! Tiny pieces everywhere... Interesting Trip, Kids got Noro, we were at Nassau as Straw Market Burned down and got home early am on 9/11/01. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

Sounds like you're planning to use a tray, but in case you're unable to get one or ever forget to take it with you, here's a tip I read on another thread. Fill a plate with food, then take an empty plate and put it upside down on top of your plate like a lid. Then you can place another plate with food on top of that, and stack multiple plates to carry in this way. Haven't tried it myself, but seems like a good solution in a pinch.

• Like 1

I thought they took the trays out of the windjammer years ago because it made the place look like a cafeteria. Just my idea…

So as the others have suggested just ask for help. My sister required help since she uses a walker and there was never a lack of people willing to help us. I don’t see any reason to have to pack your own tray in your suitcase when it’s easy to get one on the ship. The staff will be happy to help.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 3:12 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Exactly.  I can't believe they don't have trays in the Windjammer. 

The "FU" part of me really thinks bringing a tray of my own onboard (or snagging one from Room Service) would solve the whole problem.  

Trays were banned years ago for hygiene reasons - it was impossible to control the washing of them. From personal experiences over numerous cruises the solution is actually simple - a member of the team in the buffet will happily carry the plates for your husband, just ask. In fact if you eat at similar times you will find the same member of staff will probably come to you. The other bonus of this system is it also gives you both more independence. You both get to choose exactly what you want. Enjoy.

Only trays we saw last week were barely  bigger than the plates that the staff used to get you your drinks  won't give then out

No covers also seen only from room service or main dining room

On 7/10/2022 at 3:35 AM, bonsai3s said:

Sigh...back in the day, (on Celebrity not Royal), they had waiters in the buffet waiting to help you carry your tray full of food back to your table.

Royal Caribbean WJ years ago was more Formal at nite inc Waiters, Table Clothes, Candles. Could order off Menu. No Swimsuits, etc allowed even during daytime. Though on Sea Days a Barbecue Lunch was served by the Pool for those didnt want get changed eat in WJ. For every 2 Chairs on open Decks they had small table, nice to put plates/drinks on and keep things off the Floor 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/7/2022 at 6:56 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

My husband has been ill recently, and I'm a bit concerned about him in the buffet.  Sometimes he is fine, but when he's tired /at the end of the day, he isn't so able to walk while carrying things.  Said differently, sometimes walking alone is enough for him.  I was thinking I'd get a tray and load up two plates and our drinks ... but now I see in You Tube videos that they don't have trays any more.  I see that they have a lot of things pre-portioned (which I think I'd like), but that means several little plates.  

What I'm thinking -- and this is where I'm open to ideas: 

- Don't say "Always eat in the MDR".  We like to mix it up between the two. 

- I'm thinking of bringing a small tote bag (which I will bring for the pool anyway), and I'll drop silverware and things like milk or yogurt into that bag for ease of carrying.  Would people think I'm a thief or something?  

- I'm thinking of bringing two large Yeti cups /filling them halfway, then dropping them into the tote bag -- they won't spill if they're only half full.  

- Or would it be totally weird to order room service /keep the tray for the week.  I'd feel kinda odd carrying a tray into the buffet, but if it's the most functional idea, I'll do it. 

Thoughts?  Thanks for any ideas you can share. 

are any of the buffets self service anymore? We are looking forward to the free buffets without restrictions like the real cruises used to be!