The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 8th, 2022

richwmn

Good evening, 

I heartily endorse the "Sweet Potato Pie..." book. I've not seen the movie. Another book I really enjoyed set in this area is The Girl from the Channel Isands by Jenny Lecoat. 

We're getting ready to sail on the Westerdam on Sunday. Due to DH's medical issues I've worked hard not to get excited but we have negative Covid tests (waiting on Verifly to ok them) and the suitcases are out. Since this is cruise #21 to Alaska packing is fairly quick and easy. We upgraded to SS 8068 and pictures will be taken and submitted. Those riding on the glass elevator can see our deck but we are looking forward to the location. The weather in Alaska is rain for the week but we'll be fine. 

Karen

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Good afternoon from sunny Whidbey Island! We will help DD and family move to their new home in Queen Anne, Seattle this week. So thankful to be able to help out (& spend time with grandchildren!). Blueberries are a favorite fruit, no thank you to body paint or motorcycles. We ordered euros and pounds from our bank before our last cruise (6/14 to 7/5/22) for Portugal, Spain, France, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Canada stops and managed to bring a bit home. Having the countries’ cash sure made small ‘souvenir buying’ easier & cut down on cc use. With  the exchange rate so favorable, we hope to buy more for future travel. Thanks to all who contribute to The Fleet Report and The Daily.

We use £sterling in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Some places will accept Euro's but at ridiculously poor rates.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the daily reports.  I like blueberries, I always order them at breakfast on BHB's. Always have some in the freezer during winter as I often make Blueberry muffins.

Yes,  "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society " is a book well worth reading, have also seen the film, much better to read the book.

Thanks for all the photos of Guernsey.

Another wet day here, but thankfully not as windy as yesterday.

@rafinmd Roy, pleased to know that you are safely home again, 

@JazzyV thank you for sharing the photos of your lovely cactus flower.

@bennybear thank you for sharing the photo of your lovely Japanese Peony.

@Horizon chaser 1957 good news that your DH's MRI scan is normal

@StLouisCruisers is there a  hospice nurse always at the house looking after Buddy?

Stay safe, take care everyone.

@erewhon.

Blueberry muffins are one of our favourites you have my mouth watering.

Unfortunately we have not got your cooking skills so buy ours from the local supermarket.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening, 

I heartily endorse the "Sweet Potato Pie..." book. I've not seen the movie. Another book I really enjoyed set in this area is The Girl from the Channel Isands by Jenny Lecoat. 

We're getting ready to sail on the Westerdam on Sunday. Due to DH's medical issues I've worked hard not to get excited but we have negative Covid tests (waiting on Verifly to ok them) and the suitcases are out. Since this is cruise #21 to Alaska packing is fairly quick and easy. We upgraded to SS 8068 and pictures will be taken and submitted. Those riding on the glass elevator can see our deck but we are looking forward to the location. The weather in Alaska is rain for the week but we'll be fine. 

Karen

Best wishes to you both for a wonderful Alaskan cruise, safe travelling.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, jimgev said:

We're home from our Alaska cruise and land tour. We had a great time. I'll post more about it tomorrow.

Not into body painting but I was a motorcycle rider for many years. I finally sold my last bike a few years ago. It broke my heart but it was the right thing to do.

Welcome home.

Looking forward to reading all about the cruise and tour.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

This is heartbreaking especially after how much he went through with the chemo and radiation. I worked in oncology for all my career and even after 50 years of advancement in treatment some tumors were just so aggressive that it seemed that nothing stopped them, including the one that took my mother at age 52.

Hopefully his remaining time will be pain free and peaceful and that family and friends will be able to say their goodbyes. Nothing can really prepare you but sometimes having the resources of hospice is

a blessing.

Mary

52 is way too early too!  I'm sorry for your loss Mary.

Yes, after all the pain and suffering with his taste buds and salivary glands damaged by the radiation, it had to advance to these cancers.  I think the pain is being managed well for the most part.  Thank you for your concern and comments.

10 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

The way you worded it sounds like metastatic cancer which can be really hard to find since the originating is being treated (I don’t know much but just remember this from my years working with doctors who did cancer surgery).  And it can be very aggressive. 

How heart wrenching that Amy is making arrangements. I am so sorry. How old are their children?

Extremely aggressive.  Their daughter is 22 I think and their son is turning 18 at the end of this month.

10 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@StLouisCruisersSandi, my prayers for Buddy and your whole family as you all go through this difficult time.

My hope is that hospice care is helping to give him some comfort and also support for his wife and family.

God bless,

Terri

I'm sure the hospice workers are helping a lot, especially with pain management.  Thank you Terri for your prayers.

8 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the daily reports.  I like blueberries, I always order them at breakfast on BHB's. Always have some in the freezer during winter as I often make Blueberry muffins.

Yes,  "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society " is a book well worth reading, have also seen the film, much better to read the book.

Thanks for all the photos of Guernsey.

Another wet day here, but thankfully not as windy as yesterday.

@rafinmd Roy, pleased to know that you are safely home again, 

@JazzyV thank you for sharing the photos of your lovely cactus flower.

@bennybear thank you for sharing the photo of your lovely Japanese Peony.

@Horizon chaser 1957 good news that your DH's MRI scan is normal

@StLouisCruisers is there a  hospice nurse always at the house looking after Buddy?

Stay safe, take care everyone.

I'm not sure how many hours a day hospice is there.  

I recall when our Dad died he had hospice care at home and at the time of his death no hospice worker was there.  My twin told me she called the hospice worker to tell them of his passing.  If you're in a hospice care facility like my DS was last year, you have 24 hour support, of course.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5