Warning if your about to cruise on Coral.

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess offered passengers on that cruise the chance to cancel with choice of a move-over, FCC, or full refund.

It sounds like the media is up to its old tricks again, making things sound worse than they really are. 

It usually takes a grumpy passenger to feed the media. I wonder if they didn't get enough volunteers, and a few got bumped. 

37 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It usually takes a grumpy passenger to feed the media. I wonder if they didn't get enough volunteers, and a few got bumped. 

Hard to tell but I suspect certain media outlets have been avidly waiting for the slightest hint of Covid on a ship. They may even have people monitoring the various FB groups etc. Word went out on FB about the cancellation offer late yesterday morning I think.

• Like 3

This was just  added to the Courier Mail website as part of a longer article about Covid stats in QLD.:

"Authorities have confirmed an Covid-19 outbreak on a cruise ship currently docked in Brisbane.

Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said authorities were aware of cases on the Coral Princess cruise ship, which carries 2600 passengers and had been docked in Port Douglas in the state’s far north on Thursday.  Ms D’Ath said anyone due to embark in Brisbane today had been informed of the outbreak and could make “personal decisions as to whether they want to go on board or not”.

“There were protocols put in place as to what would occur if there was an outbreak (and) we are seeing an outbreak,” she said.  “Some of those the passengers are being removed.  “They have chosen to isolate either home or in other accommodation. And we’ve supported them in doing that.”

It comes as Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed that 782 are being treated in hospital for Covid-19, with another 104 people treated for flu.

Queenslanders aged 65 and older are being “strongly encouraged” to don masks in crowded spaces and everyone is being urged to get their fourth shot.

Ms Palaszczuk said 91 per cent of all deaths in the state with Covid-19 were people aged 65 or older.

“If you’re 65 and over, seriously, okay. Get that full dose, but also to strongly encourage you if you’re in that age bracket, seniors in our community to think about wearing masks in crowded spaces.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hard to tell but I suspect certain media outlets have been avidly waiting for the slightest hint of Covid on a ship. They may even have people monitoring the various FB groups etc. Word went out on FB about the cancellation offer late yesterday morning I think.

One thing is for sure we need honest reports of the Covid situation on these cruise ships so we can make our decisions. Government Health state there will always be Covid on cruise ships but it would be nice to know to what extent.

Posted this before the above post. Pleased that it give passengers a choice.

Edited by JohnGc

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Where have they been. There has been covid on every cruise so far for P&O and Coral, and has been discussed here and on social media.

7 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

One thing is for sure we need honest reports of the Covid situation on these cruise ships so we can make our decisions. Government Health state there will always be Covid on cruise ships but it would be nice to know to what extent.

If you are about to board a cruise that has elevated levels of covid, the cruise line has to inform you (as with the earlier message for Coral from a couple of says ago), and they are allowing you to decide if you still want to cruise, or be credited/refunded/rebooked. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

If you are about to board a cruise that has elevated levels of covid, the cruise line has to inform you (as with the earlier message for Coral from a couple of says ago), and they are allowing you to decide if you still want to cruise, or be credited/refunded/rebooked. 

👍 Let's hope  when the Quantum and others join us later they will do the same. 

Edited by JohnGc

On 7/10/2022 at 11:05 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Apparently Princess sent out an email to those due to board offering a moveover, FCC, and or refund to people who weren't comfortable joining this cruise. 

I have friend on board who didn't mention this email.  Their original cruise, south to Eden then north to Port Douglas, had already been split into two cruises, minus a stop at Newcastle.  

27 minutes ago, arxcards said:

this of course is all well if you are local but much harder when juggling flights with penalty changes etc

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Where have they been. There has been covid on every cruise so far for P&O and Coral, and has been discussed here and on social media.

Yes, but this has been the first time crew infections were mentioned.

6 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

this of course is all well if you are local but much harder when juggling flights with penalty changes etc

Absolutely, hence I'm avidly reading posts and appreciate all the information they contain, so thank you everyone 😊 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, but this has been the first time crew infections were mentioned.

There have been crew on the cruises I am aware of too, including a CD. The difference in the communication elevation was the quantity of cases.

Unfortunately for the ship, the crew don't get to disembark and test positive when they get home as the passengers have been doing.

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

There have been crew on the cruises I am aware of too, including a CD. The difference in the communication elevation was the quantity of cases.

Unfortunately for the ship, the crew don't get to disembark and test positive when they get home as the passengers have been doing.

Yes but they weren't really discussed off the ship.

• Like 1

I just heard a grab on ABC radio news, which included Yvette D’Ath's comments. Even ABC News was factually incorrect, saying the ship is currently berthed in Brisbane, but did say passengers were given a choice whether they still wished to board.

If anything by her tone, Yvette D’Ath was downplaying it, saying it was expected like all other areas in the community, and that heightened protocols were now in place.

Two reasons to give passengers the option to cancel....

Firstly if they are concerned about catching Covid, but also because if a higher number of crew have it, the service standard would have to suffer...

5 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Two reasons to give passengers the option to cancel....

Firstly if they are concerned about catching Covid, but also because if a higher number of crew have it, the service standard would have to suffer...

Exactly. I think Princess has handled it very well but, based on what I saw on our cruise the other week they might need to toughen up on policing their mask rules.

19 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I just heard a grab on ABC radio news, which included Yvette D’Ath's comments. Even ABC News was factually incorrect, saying the ship is currently berthed in Brisbane, but did say passengers were given a choice whether they still wished to board.

If anything by her tone, Yvette D’Ath was downplaying it, saying it was expected like all other areas in the community, and that heightened protocols were now in place.

As I stated above (63), there is an article in the Brisbane Times about the covid outbreak on Coral Princess.  The tone was the same.  Maybe they could share with the public what the protocols are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

There are articles in the Brisbane Times and Courier Mail about covid outbreak on Coral Princess.  

Thanks, found the Brisbane times article, however no news at all in NZ 🙁 Because of this new outbreak Air NZ have offered passengers to cancel flights and receive a credit for the fare, so keen to know if it looks as though Princess will cancel sailings. If not, we have only very recently been able to get our 2nd booster, which we did, so we shouldn't have waning protection and will sail but just be very careful. Appreciate all the info posted, thank you all 😷

Edited by Jean C
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

As I stated above (63), there is an article in the Brisbane Times about the covid outbreak on Coral Princess.  The tone was the same.  Maybe they could share with the public what the protocols are.

I just found it helpful to listen to her response on the ABC radio grab. I haven't been able to find a radio link.

Protocols are based around these.

https://www.dtis.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/1615610/eastern-seaboard-cruise-protocols.pdf

• Like 1

Are you all aware that there's around 5000 new Covid cases in QLD a day? Where do you think they are coming from...corn flakes packets? No...they are coming from people going to work, going to the shops, flying on aircraft, catching a train, getting pissed at the pub or going to the footy. Is the media asking us not to frequent those places? How does a few managed cases on a cruise ship attract so much attention?

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, boeckli said:

Our 3 day cruise is 39 days...   time enough for them to clean up their act ??   

Granted - getting myself and my mum 2nd booster shots this week