Dressing for dinner

leo72976

We are two weeks away from the start of our first cruise with Celebrity.  My wife and I have cruised 50+ times.  We will be on Equinox headed to the Western Caribbean for 6 days.  What do men usually wear to dinner in the main dinning room?  Are clean pressed jeans with a sport coat acceptable?  Should I plan on wearing slacks every night?  Each cruise line varies greatly and I just want to fit in whether it be dressed up or dressed down.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

19 minutes ago, leo72976 said:

We are two weeks away from the start of our first cruise with Celebrity.  My wife and I have cruised 50+ times.  We will be on Equinox headed to the Western Caribbean for 6 days.  What do men usually wear to dinner in the main dinning room?  Are clean pressed jeans with a sport coat acceptable?  Should I plan on wearing slacks every night?  Each cruise line varies greatly and I just want to fit in whether it be dressed up or dressed down.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Except for flip-flops with no socks, shorts, muscle shirts or t-shirts with off color comments almost anything.

I wear black jeans or kakhi slacks with a collared shirt (often polo).  Sometimes a sports coat over a turtleneck if cool.

Wife wears a nice top and coordinated pants.

More casual in the Caribbean and Alaska.  A bit more dressy in Europe.  Just wear what you would wear to a nice restaurant.   Some will be dressier and others will look.  . .  

Surprised you are asking this with 50+ cruises.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Surprised you are asking this with 50+ cruises.

I just want to fit in.  With this being our first time on Celebrity, I wasn’t sure what to expect.  Our TA is telling us it is rather formal and yet I was reading the opposite online. I figured CC would be able to give me the lowdown.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, leo72976 said:

I just want to fit in.  With this being our first time on Celebrity, I wasn’t sure what to expect.  Our TA is telling us it is rather formal and yet I was reading the opposite online. I figured CC would be able to give me the lowdown.

Maybe formal is in the eye of the beholder.

For non-formal nights, I wear dockers and a button down shirt - and I am probably slightly over dressed.  But even this outfit would be accepted on formal nights.

On formal nights, I typically wear a suite (blue) - complete with jacket and/or vest.  Again, I am probably slightly over dressed most of the time, but not abnormally so.

Formal attire, such as tuxes or formal black suits, are not very common in my experience.  You'll see them, and they are accepted but they are far from the norm or expectation.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

DH wears colorful Hawaiian shirts with khakis for dinner and a silk "no-tuck" shirt with dress slacks on Evening Chic nights in the Main Dining Room. You will see men in jackets in the Caribbean, but they will be in the minority.

Your TA seems to have a very incorrect view of Celebrity - might be worth asking how the conclusion of rather formal was reached.

Edited by MarKay525
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, leo72976 said:

You'll be in the upper 1/3.  It was very casual onboard. You do not need slacks or jeans daily.  It's gonna be HOT in Western Caribbean in July...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leo72976 said:

I have downgraded. Tux on my first few cruises for formal nights, then dark suit. Coat and tie most nights. Fast forward to current conditions and crowded airports and packed airplanes and I do not want to carry much luggage. (I never wear jeans except to work in the garden.)  I may wear shorts during the day in the Caribbean or similar climate. On the Equinox in February I almost always wore a jacket, no tie, after 6:00 pm or so.  Mostly I wear slacks and a button down or polo shirt, with a sport jacket at dinner. If no jacket, I wear a sweater, as MDR and other public spaces tend to be over chilled. No need to pack the jacket , I wear it while traveling. My slacks can be, and are, washed in the sink and are dry and ready to wear within 10-12 hours.

Short answer, over dressing is ok, nobody will mock you, but country club casual, clean and neat, seems to be the standard.

Stan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leo72976 said:

We were on the same itinerary on the Equinox 3 weeks ago.  It is definitely not formal!  There were many first time cruisers that enjoyed dressing up a bit.  However, most were in casual comfortable clothes.  I can't comment about jeans other than you will not need or want them on this itinerary.  It is hot!  Dress comfortably and appropriately for a nice dinner in your local restaurant, club, or at home with friends. No need for a jacket.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Your TA seems to have a very incorrect view of Celebrity - might be worth asking how the conclusion of rather formal was reached

The TA might have old info before Celebrity changed formal night to Chic night. Could certainly reveal a lazy approach to answering the customer's question. "Let's see...I have that in my binder..."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, leo72976 said:

I sailed last month, and yes, ditch the sport coat/blazers unless you really want to bring/wear one, a majority of the gentlemen weren't wearing them in the MDR or at specialty dining. They wore slacks, jeans, chinos, collared shirts, t-shirts, and all manner of footwear (lace ups, loafers, sneakers, sandals)from dressy to sporty casual. The jeans I saw were of lighter color since we sailed in mostly warmer climates(Bermuda and Charleston), but again the a/c was on, and I was very comfortable wearing mine as well.

• Like 1

I think that the more formal feel for Celebrity...may have more to do with the way the dining room is set up with nice table cloths and nice glassware. I haven't sailed other lines in recent years..but I thought some cruise lines dispensed with table cloths... does anyone know if this is true? I like the Riedel glassware they use with the thin edges vs the thicker types you often find...just makes the wine taste better. If you notice.. in the Ocean View the plates aren't plastic like on Royal..although the glasses are... but perhaps this is to avoid glass being carried out to the pool area.

• Like 1