Why is a cabin priced nearly $200 more for a solo?

I've been watching pricing on January cruises for Anthem. And the situation hasn't changed in months. When I run a mock booking for a given cabin with 2 people in it, the final price is nearly $200 less than if I back up and run the numbers again for one guest. I'm getting $2551 for a solo and $2375 for a couple in a balcony. I was prepared to pay for double occupancy plus one charge for taxes and port fees ... but that's not what's coming back.

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Sometimes when you put in 2 passengers it is pricing a guarantee cabin and then for some reason if you put in 1 person you can not book a guarantee.

This would be my guess. Rcl often doesnt allow solo to book gty which to me is unfair. I had that issue for radiance next jan but luckily my ta had access to a group rate about the same, $10 less but otherwise I'd have had to pay more than double to book. I dont care much about location. 

23 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Sometimes when you put in 2 passengers it is pricing a guarantee cabin and then for some reason if you put in 1 person you can not book a guarantee.

OK. You're right. It was a guarantee for the couple but not the solo. That's a strange policy. I wonder what's the reason behind it.

In any event, I clearly want to book as a solo because I've just hit the magic 340+ points, so I should be able to qualify for the solo supplement reduction. Not sure how I go about getting that discount. Do you have to book with a phone rep?

Edited by emeraldcity
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, emeraldcity said:

OK. You're right. It was a guarantee for the couple but not the solo. That's a strange policy. I wonder what's the reason behind it.

In any event, I clearly want to book as a solo because I've just hit the magic 340+ points, so I should be able to qualify for the solo supplement reduction. Not sure how I go about getting that discount. Do you have to book with a phone rep?

Put DP340 in the promo box

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

I've been watching pricing on January cruises for Anthem. And the situation hasn't changed in months. When I run a mock booking for a given cabin with 2 people in it, the final price is nearly $200 less than if I back up and run the numbers again for one guest. I'm getting $2551 for a solo and $2375 for a couple in a balcony. I was prepared to pay for double occupancy plus one charge for taxes and port fees ... but that's not what's coming back.

Call Royal and ask for Resolutions. They will override and give you the single guarantee. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

That's a strange policy. I wonder what's the reason behind it.

I suspect it's because a significant portion of overall revenue comes from onboard spending.  They are enticing two guests to book so they have one more wallet or purse on board to spend money.  The lower cruise fare, they hope, will be offset by the spend on board. 

Two guests also pay two daily service charges so that also helps with overall crew compensation.   Solo guests pay one daily service fee.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

I suspect it's because a significant portion of overall revenue comes from onboard spending.  They are enticing two guests to book so they have one more wallet or purse on board to spend money.  The lower cruise fare, they hope, will be offset by the spend on board. 

Two guests also pay two daily service charges so that also helps with overall crew compensation.   Solo guests pay one daily service fee.  

OK. That makes sense. In my case, I tend to tip the cabin steward extra because I don't want him/her to feel like they got shafted by having only one person in the cabin.

• Like 1

From my experience, if I'm trying to go solo on RCL I always go through a third party or TA. For some reason, they have always had the better rates for my solo trips versus booking direct through RCL.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:01 AM, molly361 said:

On 7/12/2022 at 11:00 AM, Biker19 said:

If the DP340 code doesn't work online, yes.

How do you guys know this stuff 😲🤣.  Don't get me wrong, I'm just jealous 😎

On 7/12/2022 at 10:35 AM, molly361 said:

Agree, always price multiple ways. Even had one Cruise Cheaper for me with two passengers then SOLO 340+ where I Booked a Person not going with me. This w/o a Guarantee

The benefit of good TA is that check all rates.  With and without CAS/DP340, groups when available, single fare reductions not associated with CAS, etc.

Royal's website may present the best published fare but that is not always the best fare available for you.  

5 hours ago, twangster said:

The benefit of good TA is that check all rates.  With and without CAS/DP340, groups when available, single fare reductions not associated with CAS, etc.

Royal's website may present the best published fare but that is not always the best fare available for you.  

You still need to be aware of the ‘lower’ possible fares offered by a TA. On some of my recent bookings, a TA F&F fare was a subtle that was lower than the published RCL fares, but these TA F&F fares would NOT be combinable with shareholders, so it can depend on your individual situation and what other OBC you might want to be available to you.

On 7/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, emeraldcity said:

If booking double but end up going solo you will get double points. They will also refund the port fees and taxes after the cruise for the second person no show.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:00 AM, Biker19 said:

If the DP340 code doesn't work online, yes.

Make sure that you press "apply" otherwise it will not reflect properly.  DP340 the greatest thing since ice cream for solos.😄

Edited by nelblu

On 7/12/2022 at 10:01 AM, molly361 said:

I dont think the code works unless that person is at 340 pts? 

Or as I found out July and august. Summer. Made me decide against the presidents cruise next July. No discount for solo in july.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think the code works unless that person is at 340 pts? 

Or as I found out July and august. Summer. Made me decide against the presidents cruise next July. No discount for solo in july.

DP340 only works if the guest has >340 points.

They opened up DP340 on the Prez cruise in 2023 for a few weeks as a temporary measure.  Looks like it been closed.  

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

If booking double but end up going solo you will get double points.

That is no longer a sure thing.  Many reports lately from guests who didn't get the extra point with a no show and when they later called they were shot down. It's inconsistent.  If you recently had a no show cabin mate and scored the extra point be happy.

1 hour ago, wallyj said:

You still need to be aware of the ‘lower’ possible fares offered by a TA. On some of my recent bookings, a TA F&F fare was a subtle that was lower than the published RCL fares, but these TA F&F fares would NOT be combinable with shareholders, so it can depend on your individual situation and what other OBC you might want to be available to you.

If a TA is offering TAFF rates they really should explain all that goes with that.  

46 minutes ago, twangster said:

DP340 only works if the guest has >340 points.

They opened up DP340 on the Prez cruise in 2023 for a few weeks as a temporary measure.  Looks like it been closed.  

wow I interesting. My ta said it's not available in july and august. Didnt know they made exceptions. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

wow I interesting. My ta said it's not available in july and august. Didnt know they made exceptions. 

I think I saw on the RCL website when you want to see the benefits of each level, there is a footnote regarding DP340 stating not available on summer sailings and holiday sailings

3 minutes ago, wallyj said:

I think I saw on the RCL website when you want to see the benefits of each level, there is a footnote regarding DP340 stating not available on summer sailings and holiday sailings

Twangster said above he got it for the presidents cruise which is next July is why I asked about exceptions.