Skywalk re: view of cabin balconies

janroatan

4 hours ago, janroatan said:

Which decks, cabin balcony's are viewable from Skywalk ,Regal Princess?

In other words, which balcony deck to pick that won,t have passagers able to see onto balconies.

For what it's worth, this is very much an overblown concern.  People who have spent good money on a cruise do not hang out on the Skywalk and gawk down at other peoples' balconies.  99% of the people who take that walk do so in a way that keeps them moving, and has them looking down at the water, not the cabins.  They rarely stop midway and stare.  But in answer to your question, all of the balconies that are bumped out beneath the Skywalk are partially visible.  This is what a person would see from the lookout:

TOP 5 Aktivitäten an Bord der Regal Princess • Cruise Sisters | Travel and  Cruise Blog

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

For what it's worth, this is very much an overblown concern.  People who have spent good money on a cruise do not hang out on the Skywalk and gawk down at other peoples' balconies.  99% of the people who take that walk do so in a way that keeps them moving, and has them looking down at the water, not the cabins.  They rarely stop midway and stare.  But in answer to your question, all of the balconies that are bumped out beneath the Skywalk are partially visible.  This is what a person would see from the lookout:

TOP 5 Aktivitäten an Bord der Regal Princess • Cruise Sisters | Travel and  Cruise Blog

The port side would provide more privacy since the SeaView Bar covers the open space between the SeaWalk and the ship. 

seawalk_below.jpg.0c622664a3ffb75be4495c121fd37d91.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We had a port side "bump" minisuite,  and looking up, and at an angle,  could see the Skywalk. 

Never felt we were being spied on. In fact, I suspect most passengers try it once, and never use it again. 

Vastly over ratated, and new builds should do away with it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We had a port side "bump" minisuite,  and looking up, and at an angle,  could see the Skywalk. 

Never felt we were being spied on. In fact, I suspect most passengers try it once, and never use it again. 

The newest builds did away with the bar and the gap between the walk and the deck, and that gap is really where the views to the balconies come from.  The new configuration looks like this and provides very little view of the balconies below. 

DisLid-9826-1651533330.webp

DisLid-278-1649801546.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  No other cruise line opted to flatter Princess.

Although one might say that X took it a bit further with a "stick-out" section that can move up and down like an elevator. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Although one might say that X took it a bit further with a "stick-out" section that can move up and down like an elevator. 

Lots of gimmicks on different ships!  We took one RC Oasis of the Seas cruise, and it's full of such gimmicks from a robot mixing drinks at one bar, the floor moves 2-3 stories in another so you may start out on one deck and come out on another, the zipline across the pool area, the many slides, and the main public area feeling like a circus.  We were celebrating our son's birthday and he chose the ship.  I would not do it again except for him.

Edited by GloriaF
  • Like 1

I walked over that view area many times on our last cruise and never once noticed the balconies below--just the sea view.  I can't imagine anyone actually standing there trying to peer into people's balconies, but maybe somebody does?  Really, you can't see much.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I walked over that view area many times on our last cruise and never once noticed the balconies below--just the sea view.  I can't imagine anyone actually standing there trying to peer into people's balconies, but maybe somebody does?  Really, you can't see much.

On the newer designs it's hard to see much of the cabin balconies but the on the  older Regal & Royal it practically gives people a partial view into the cabin. 

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thanks  for the pictures. We were on Regal, so I guess not a new build. 

I still think it is a gimmick,  that no one would miss. 

I don't know that I'd miss it, but I do enjoy the skywalk. I like looking down at the water, and I don't find the balconies interesting.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Celebrity has a name for that stupid gimmick, but based on its bright orange color, I nicknamed it "the Construction Elevator." 

The Construction Elevator did not move with passengers aboard.  It was a nice tender platform at tender ports.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I don't do anything on my balcony that would be exciting or interesting or tantalizing.  If they want to watch me nap or read on my balcony they are welcome to look.  

DON

I walked along this walkway, and the most exciting thing I saw was Don reading on his balcony.  NOT worth spending much time watching him; I could watch him reading on the Lido deck almost anytime I wanted to.  

Seriously, there was no reason to be watching these balconies.  From the Lido Deck, not the Walkway, I did spy onto the balconies of the aft-facing cabins just to drool over the oversized wrap-around balconies.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

On the newer designs it's hard to see much of the cabin balconies but the on the  older Regal & Royal it practically gives people a partial view into the cabin. 

I was on the Discovery--new ship--I used this walkway for my daily walk when the walking track was too windy.  Honestly noticed nothing but the sea.  I've been on the Regal, but didn't go on the sea walk much there.

On 7/12/2022 at 3:01 PM, wowzz said:

Correct. Walked on it once. Looked down at the ocean. One & done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Correct. Walked on it once. Looked down at the ocean. One & done.

I suppose in the scheme of things it is insignificant,  but why do Princess pay extra for a "feature" that people use once on their first cruise? 

48 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I suppose in the scheme of things it is insignificant,  but why do Princess pay extra for a "feature" that people use once on their first cruise? 

In a word:  Stupidity.  Princess upper-management is brain-dead.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 12:12 PM, JimmyVWine said:

Agree, folks forget on the Grand class most balconies had no privacy and it was not big deal.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Agree, folks forget on the Grand class most balconies had no privacy and it was not big deal.  

I remember when I first joined these boards and researched whether I really wanted a Dolphin Deck Mini-Suite on our first Princess cruise. All signs pointed to the fact that this was the best choice for our family. But there was so much gnashing of teeth over the open balconies that could be viewed from above.

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

As I glanced up at the many hundred balconies above us, I never once saw anyone wasting their time looking down on us. And even if they had, they would have seen two happy parents enjoying a glass of wine with their wide-eyed daughter enraptured by the endless sea. Their jealousy is not my concern. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

As I glanced up at the many hundred balconies above us, I never once saw anyone wasting their time looking down on us. 

At sail aways, I have seen neighbors (on our deck and above/below) on their balconies.  We have waved, exchanged "hello"s.  A few times, someone had binoculars as we sailed away.  No big deal. 

I generally don't pick my nose or scratch myself in public, so "hello" was the end of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2