Why do people carry on Luggage

ThaNectar

Trying to figure out why people carry on all of their luggage... Personally, I carry on a backpack with meds/passports/paperwork/ etc.. 

But I am trying to figure out why people want to tote all that luggage around for a few hours.

It's so easy to just give your luggage to the porter and then have it delivered right to your cabin. 

Maybe I'm missing something 

• Like 4

We ALWAYS do.  Main reason is because 80% of the cruises I have been on we get the "letter" about day 2 or 3 in our room because they were looking for someone's lost luggage.  My mom had a bag go missing, but we found it about 10pm the first night when she reported it hadn't arrived and then was taken to a holding area and she found it (the tag had been ripped off and they didn't know where to deliver it).

Also, I like to be able to unpack and get settled early, and sometimes luggage doesn't show up until later in the evening.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, ThaNectar said:

Trying to figure out why people carry on all of their luggage... Personally, I carry on a backpack with meds/passports/paperwork/ etc.. 

But I am trying to figure out why people want to tote all that luggage around for a few hours.

It's so easy to just give your luggage to the porter and then have it delivered right to your cabin. 

Maybe I'm missing something 

Personally I pack light and the only bag I usually have is the one I carry on. Unless it's a longer cruise.

• Like 3

Many many years ago back in the day the NY terminal broke one of the wheels in my suitcase. Since then I am been very worry about checking my luggage and causing more damage to my bag.

It is much safer and easier for me to carry my own bag

• Like 2

I carried on once (In Long Beach) when I couldn't find a porter. I think they were still on debarkation when they let us in the building. But on my Alaska cruise I had to fill out lost luggage paper work. You don't ever want to have to do that. You especially don't want to have to do that on your way to ALASKA. That ruined my first night until they found my luggage. I can see why people carry on. And if you're diamond or platinum you can drop your bags off in your room after boarding.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 10

I never used to, but about a year ago, my mid-size bag arrived with 1 wheel torn off (and a sharp screw sticking out the bottom where the wheel was - I hope nobody got cut) and a 3 in tear in suitcase itself.  It was the Breeze's first cruise in 15 months (after the shutdown) and I didn't have the heart to complain (although I was worried about getting my stuff home on the plane after the cruise).  But we managed to remove the screw from the bottom and the bag made it home.  I think the huge piles of luggage and the fork lifts can be too much for the smaller checked bags.  

Anyway from then forward, we only travel with a carry-on and backup if at all possible (the free laundry for Platinum is life-saver for us).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, OP, since you asked - as long as I am physically able, I prefer to carry on all my luggage.  Why?  Partly because I am cheap (save the tip to the porter), partly because I want to get unpacked and stuff out of the way before hitting the Lido, partly to avoid the wait and see if/when our luggage gets delivered.  I am sure there is also some hidden undiagnosed neurosis involved (maybe I'm joking, or not).

Wife and I pick a late check-in time so that by the time we get on the ship, we can go directly to our cabin to unpack (we have not yet attained the appropriate "loyalty" level).

By the way, I am what some call an over-packer.  Depending on my whim, I might have as much as a large suitcase, a medium or small suitcase, and maybe a backpack and a satchel.  I think I just heard someone faint.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

10 minutes ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

By the way, I am what some call an over-packer.  Depending on my whim, I might have as much as a large suitcase, a medium or small suitcase, and maybe a backpack and a satchel.  I think I just heard someone faint.

Me! That was me you heard hit the deck 🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To answer the other side of it. Why would I want to check it instead of carry it? They seem to be tougher on security with carry-ons. I have twice if not thrice had them digging through my backpack looking for what turned out to be a wallet or a bottle of cologne or something like that. I have never had them call me down to open my suitcase for anything. So the thought of having to bust open my entire suitcase in the terminal like I did the two times I flew to Cancun is not appealing.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

To answer the other side of it. Why would I want to check it instead of carry it? They seem to be tougher on security with carry-ons. I have twice if not thrice had them digging through my backpack looking for what turned out to be a wallet or a bottle of cologne or something like that. I have never had them call me down to open my suitcase for anything. So the thought of having to bust open my entire suitcase in the terminal like I did the two times I flew to Cancun is not appealing.

On my first Carnival cruise several years ago, I didn’t know that you weren’t supposed to lock your suitcase. On NCL, if an item was found to be suspect during x-ray, you would be called to the “naughty room” and asked to unlock your bag.  Carnival, instead, broke my lock, scrambled the entire contents, and then had it delivered to my cabin.  It was an aluminum tumbler, I guess.  🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited to add that I still check my bag with a porter, because I don’t think I could lift it onto the conveyor at check in.

Edited by luvcruzing
  • Like 3

I carry everything on myself due to the horror stories of lost and destroyed luggage. I've come too far for my vacation, and I don't want it to be ruined by either. Also, I don't want my nice new carry on bag chucked in a pile of other people's luggage... 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

On my first Carnival cruise several years ago, I didn’t know that you weren’t supposed to lock your suitcase. On NCL, if an item was found to be suspect during x-ray, you would be called to the “naughty room” and asked to unlock your bag.  Carnival, instead, broke my lock, scrambled the entire contents, and then had it delivered to my cabin.  It was an aluminum tumbler, I guess.  🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited to add that I still check my bag with a porter, because I don’t think I could lift it onto the conveyor at check in.

I use zip ties just in case they do that. But I haven't had one cut yet.

• Like 3

On our very first cruise, our luggage was delivered to the wrong room.  We only found out because my relatives that we were traveling with saw it in the wrong place.  Ever since then, my husband insists on carrying on all our luggage.  We've also seen reports of lost luggage on almost every cruise we've been on, so we prefer to keep ours with us.

• Like 3

Our last cruise,  we didn't get our luggage, till way late at night.  They had to go 

Deck by deck looking for it.  They even gave us the sorry we lost your luggage toiletry bag,  lol.   We've always given it to the porters, but maybe not the next time.   It's Alaska,   I'm gonna need those warmer clothes.  

• Like 2

We’ve never had our luggage lost, knock on wood. But every cruise I’ve been on threes been people looking for missing luggage and that is not a great way to start a vacation. We always carry ours off though! 

• Like 2

It's easier.  And with my wife having Platinum status, we can stash the bags in the room before enjoying the run of the ship.  No lost bags, unpacked before most people are even on the ship.  And with just carry-ons, we also carry them off.  Sure beats sifting through all the bags before customs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

I saw someone on another board who packs 15 suitcases for two people.  Of course, there may be extra nowadays due to covid.  She packs cleaning supplies, plastic dishes/cutlery and food in case of quarantine. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On the Dream a travel companion had her suitcase lost for several days (she did not have any extra clothing in a carry-on - literally had only the clothes on her back, which happened to be a tank type dress over a swimsuit (so try not to be too judgmental of the people wearing such things in the dining room - their luggage might be lost). 😉 

On the 3rd day (our first port day) we bought her some clothing items in port.  Finally her bag was found that night in a nearby cabin.  Some teenage boys sharing a cabin across from their parents had simply moved all the luggage outside their door into the room, not realizing that bag didn't belong to any of them.

• Like 1

Because bags sometimes go missing, and I want to at least have a complete change of clothes,  chargers for electrical items, and some toiletries/cosmetics 

Edited by debsjc
  • Like 1