No toilet for 3 days

Ellen495

18 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Ellen - has Guest Services done anything for you today / or / have the repairs been completed? 

They gave us two Pinnacle dinners free. We finally have a functioning toilet. Our porters and the concierge were lovely, but it was a huge hassle. 

We used their TP (didn't bring our own) FYI.

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

They gave us two Pinnacle dinners free. We finally have a functioning toilet. Our porters and the concierge were lovely, but it was a huge hassle. 

We used their TP (didn't bring our own) FYI.

IMO, you should have been refunded your daily rate paid for every day you did not have a working toilet.  I am disappointed that HAL thinks 2 Pinnacle dinners would be adequate compensation.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

IMO, you should have been refunded your daily rate paid for every day you did not have a working toilet.  I am disappointed that HAL thinks 2 Pinnacle dinners would be adequate compensation.

HAL may see this situation differently as the problem was caused by the deliberate action of a passenger.  Do people flush down towels at home?

igraf

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, igraf said:

HAL may see this situation differently as the problem was caused by the deliberate action of a passenger.  Do people flush down towels at home?

igraf

That's not what happened though.  That was a worst case scenario that has happened aboard a ship.  Would you be ok with no toilet for 3 days if they gave you a free dinner?

• Like 1

They should have given you free passes to the spa instead of free Pinnacle dinners. Won't fully make up for having no cabin toilet, but at least you could use the facilities there and relax. Also, depending on the ship, Pinnacle would be a downgrade from Club Orange or Tamarind or Rudi's imho.

3 hours ago, igraf said:

igraf

If they're toddlers or perhaps have dementia, they do. Not everyone on ships are fully functioning adults. 

On 7/13/2022 at 12:47 AM, Crew News said:

Use your Navigator to report the issue and all of the ship's management will be notified.  Go to the Connect tab -> Let Us Know -> Comments. 

Enough with the app. Go to the reception desk and talk to someone in person.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boulders said:

If they're toddlers or perhaps have dementia, they do. Not everyone on ships are fully functioning adults. 

With all due respect my mom had Alzheimer’s for around 5 years before she died.  The last thing I would have ever done was put her on a ship.  To do so would have been cruel.  It was pretty much impossible closer to the end to even take her outside of the facility she was in.  It broke my heart to see her that way.  She would have been messed up to take her so far out of her comfort zone. Also if you toddler is flushing towels down the toilet you should be keeping a closer eye on them.  It’s a very small room so it shouldn’t be hard.  It’s not a 3000 sq foot house.  Do toddlers do that at home 🙄

Edited by Florida_gal_50

5 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

They should have given you free passes to the spa

I was in a HAL cabin and had a malfunctioning shower problem.  I requested and was given a spa pass for the remainder of the trip. (Shower was fixed in less than 24 hours.)

• Like 1

That free Pinnacle dinner is a token of how much HAL and your on board management team  appreciates your business as a valued Neptune level customer.

Just imagine what a lowly balcony, outside, or interior customer may have have received. 

Perhaps 5 or 6 chocolate dipped strawberries.   A bottle of plonk??

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some years ago we had a situation that required a room change … and the only room available was actually a downgrade but it was much better than where we were - guest relations called our original cabin “uninhabitable”. We offered to pay for an upgrade but the ship was full. We got the free dinners and chocolates at first but to our surprise, the last day of the cruise, we were issued an unsolicited monetary compensation. It had not been mentioned earlier because they had to get approval from Seattle. So it is possible that there may be additional compensation coming. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, arzz said:

the last day of the cruise, we were issued an unsolicited monetary compensation.

This happened to us on Eurodam last year (2021).  There was a smell of sewage in our bathroom, which occurred mostly at night.  Eventually it disappeared.  They almost took our bathroom apart and rebuilt it several times, but apart from the smell, we had very little inconvenience (work was done during days ashore).

On the last evening there was an envelope with letter from Hotel Manager, apologising for the inconvenience and advising us that a not unsubstantial amount of OBC had been credited to our account.  I went to Guest Services and they confirmed that I could 'cash in' the OBC as it was our last night. 

So perhaps a firm, but polite, note addressed to the Hotel Manager may bring more suitable compensation for your inconvenience.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 1:52 PM, albingirl said:

I hear about people bringing their own snacks onboard.  Cheezits, and all kinds of things.  TP doesn't surprise me. 

Snacks, powerstrips, toilet paper,

Remember- It’s a cruise not a camping trip

A059A971-9D2D-4E35-AC2F-F87E91F134F1.jpeg

Edited by Wakepatrol

Just got back to this thread and, given the description of the various fixes and compensations, I am wondering who decides how to treat guests in these predicaments.  Suites go first (although not in this OP's case) and down the line, as has been mentioned in post 36? Or, depends on the mood of the HM or GRM on any given day? Or, if the guests are wearing Dutch orange for the occasion of presenting their problem and thoughts?  Mind-boggling!

We had an issue with our Neptune suite jacuzzi tub on the Koningsdam earlier this month. We came back from an excursion and there was around 7-10 people in our room and apparently when the tub was getting sanitized it started leaking and a pipe burst and it flooded the bathroom and part of our room so there was tons of large fans being blown etc. they offered a free dinner at tamarind but we declined. They sent us a tray of appetizers and desserts one evening and a bouquet of flowers apologizing. Then we got 300.00 onboard credit. We never complained so receiving anything was a nice surprise. Plus everyone was really lovely. Tub couldn’t be used for several days but we had a shower. Carpet was pretty wet but nothing of ours was ruined. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aardvark2300 said:

So I have reviewed this entire thread twice and never saw an answer to the question of what ship the OP was/is on. Particularly curious as I have a HAL Alaska cruise coming up shortly!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Roadracer2002 said:

Same here, which ship please?

If you click on a poster's avatar you can see their posting history.  It would appear that the OP was on Nieuw Amsterdam July 10th, Whittier to Vancouver.

• Thanks 1