MSC advice for first timer (I know this is the Royal forum)

5 hours ago, kernow said:

We had a JS on Anthem in Oct and a YC balcony on Virtuosa in May. Rooms were a similar size apart from no split bathroom on Virtuosa. There are a few full size suites in YC too if you want more space but YC is more about the whole experience rather than just the room.

The suite experience on Royal has taken a 180 in the last few years, and on wonder it’s nearly perfect it an experience now not just the room. With the restaurant and lounge and exclusive pool and bar. 

4 hours ago, pretzlaff said:

We have sailed twice and never again.  We did not like the on board experience.  Others above have made specific comments.

Let me warn you about the pre-cruise customer service.  It is horrid.  The call 'center' people are rarely helpful.  And the problem is that they will actually cancel your cruise and assign you to a different random one without bothering to tell you, so you have to call them to straighten things out. 

Even simple things like the last couple of years when some cruises needed health insurance.  You would call and they would not know if your cruise needed it.

Other simple example, I put in for a status match four times and never once heard back.

Please go over the the MSC board and have a look at the customer service issues.

I’m dimond plus on Royal and I don’t even think that putting in a status match is worth it. I’ve heard from a lot of people that it doesn’t work. 

2 hours ago, Bigbob7777 said:

Sailed pre-covid.  I wouldn’t sail with them again if they were free.  They ran out of salt and coffee creamer the 3rd day of a 7 day cruise.  The main show had the same cast and sets for every show (…and that was minimalistic). The guy that sang the tenor; let’s just say my golden retriever could carry a tune better.

Pizza was excellent, but that is the only thing I can smile about.  Food, to us, was sizzler quality.

But maybe I’m too picky.  

Hahahahaha I’ve head the pizza is really good from a lot of people, but the food is lackluster.

4 hours ago, Rusty_lock said:

I'm with Twangster... Their customer service is beyond bad. When I went I to guest services to question a charge I couldn't identify I was treated with contempt.  

The ship was beautiful and I don't regret going but in every area of the ship the service pales in comparison to a typical Royal experience.

that’s what I’m worried about I won’t like it and then it’ll just be like I shoulda sailed oasis I shoulda sailed oasis the whole time

11 minutes ago, JP350 said:

that’s what I’m worried about I won’t like it and then it’ll just be like I shoulda sailed oasis I shoulda sailed oasis the whole time

Maybe that's how you will feel.  We loved the Meraviglia,.  But we sailed in Europe.   It's not an american line so it's totally different.
We like it.  I'm hoping next week on my Oasis cruise, I'm not saying I should have never decided to go on a ship filled with kids in the middle of the summer.  I should have just sent my kids with the grandkids by themselves...lol 
But nah, we'll have a good time.  It's all about what you make it.  And it'll be fun with our grandkids.

3 minutes ago, MaryZ said:

Maybe that's how you will feel.  We loved the Meraviglia,.  But we sailed in Europe.   It's not an american line so it's totally different.
We like it.  I'm hoping next week on my Oasis cruise, I'm not saying I should have never decided to go on a ship filled with kids in the middle of the summer.  I should have just sent my kids with the grandkids by themselves...lol 
But nah, we'll have a good time.  It's all about what you make it.  And it'll be fun with our grandkids.

If it’s a cruise out of cape liberty they have less kids in general than the Florida ports, and I’ve always found the kids on rccl espcially on the 7 nights or longer to be well behaved and respectful.

37 minutes ago, JP350 said:

Is all they have for food the mdr and the buffet? I kinda like the over the top service  I’ve always wanted to see the circ shows so that’s a plus. How’s the overall atmosphere of the guests like party or more toned down.

Outside of YC food is mdr and buffet, the big ships also have a poolside grill type snack bar. Some of the bars offer crisps/ nibbles complimentary with drinks. Of course there are also the for a fee Speciality restaurants and the pub/sports bars now do paid for food similar to RCL.

On the ships we've been on guests are similar to RCL, not too loud, not too quiet. The Promenade has some fun parties but there are lots of more classy bars too, they offer some fab cocktails.

I think the overall thing is that they are more European than American in all areas, if you think you'll be happy with that give them a try.

27 minutes ago, JP350 said:

If it’s a cruise out of cape liberty they have less kids in general than the Florida ports, and I’ve always found the kids on rccl espcially on the 7 nights or longer to be well behaved and respectful.

That has never been our experience...lol  Summertime from the ny ports are loaded with kids.  We used to sail with our own kids on school vacations.  Which is why for the last 15 years we have avoided it at all costs 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, kernow said:

Outside of YC food is mdr and buffet, the big ships also have a poolside grill type snack bar. Some of the bars offer crisps/ nibbles complimentary with drinks. Of course there are also the for a fee Speciality restaurants and the pub/sports bars now do paid for food similar to RCL.

On the ships we've been on guests are similar to RCL, not too loud, not too quiet. The Promenade has some fun parties but there are lots of more classy bars too, they offer some fab cocktails.

I think the overall thing is that they are more European than American in all areas, if you think you'll be happy with that give them a try.

That's good about the guests I like royal's guests not a total buzzkil at parties, but much more toned down than carnival's guest. Also please take no offense from this whatsoever, but what's a crisp I can never remember if they're potato chips or french fries.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, JP350 said:

We’ve sailed in suites on rccl. How do the size of the rooms compare like grand suites and junior suites 

We weren’t planning on it, but we’re now wondering if yacht club is worth it.

500 nights with RCCL booking insides to crown loft suites. We have sailed with MSC 4 times in YC in their balcony suites YC1. The YC1 is about the size of a JS on RCL but there is no tub in the bathroom. the shower in the YC1 was second only to the showers in the CLS on Oasis and Allure (newer Oasis class ships have tubs in loft).

The room is nothing special and the balconies are smaller than JS balconies on RCL. But the top sail lounge, YC restaurant, private pool deck with bar and grill cannot be beat by RCL. Coastal Kitchen and Suite lounge on Oasis class does not compare to MSC Seaside and Seashore YC areas and amenities.

Deluxe drink package included with YC cabins. But the star is the YC areas and service. Sea class does not compare to MSC YC. The rooms are larger on RCL but so is the price tag. The amenities of YC make up for the smaller rooms and the pricing of MSC is the cherry on top.

Just returned from 2 weeks on MSC Seashore and we would cruise more with MSC if they sail out of California. We have a B2B this coming Sept and Oct on Navigator out of long beach. We are in GS and VP rooms. The cost is more for the GS week than it is for YC1 for 7 nights. No drink package with RCL but we do get 5 drinks daily.

Our family will cruise with either RCL or MSC but will only cruise with MSC in YC (no offense to anyone).

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 5:55 PM, beltsbear said:

Nice ships. Bad food in main dining.  But worse than anything I have ever experienced are the announcements.   Whatever you are expecting….. it’s worse.  Super loud.  Longer than an 80’s remix of the song “rock me Amadeus ”. Interrupting dinner.  Sleep.  A nice conversation.  At some locations I had to cover my ears for five minutes, while paying to eat in a specially restaurant.  

Just sailed 2 weeks on Seashore a couple weeks ago. YC dining room food was better than CK and Chops on Royal. To be honest YC was even better than MSC specialty restaurant Butcher Cut. Never heard an announcement in our cabin in 15 days. Announcements have been cut down to English, French and Italian when we heard them on rest of ship. It was very relaxing dinner and after dinner cocktails with musicians playing either guitar or piano in the lounge.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JP350 said:

That's good about the guests I like royal's guests not a total buzzkil at parties, but much more toned down than carnival's guest. Also please take no offense from this whatsoever, but what's a crisp I can never remember if they're potato chips or french fries.

Crisp is what you call a potato chip, chips to us are what you call french fries😁.

Very similar type of guest on MSC and RCL (just a bigger mix of nationalities), we've said for the last few years that MSC are targeting RCL's market more that anyone else's after conversations with senior staff onboard.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:19 PM, JP350 said:

You can match loyalty program on msc? I’m diamond and going to be diamond plus by December. 

13 hours ago, JP350 said:

I’m dimond plus on Royal and I don’t even think that putting in a status match is worth it. I’ve heard from a lot of people that it doesn’t work. 

FYI, your statements are contradictory.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JP350 said:

Well it does work. The programme was so successful that they had to stop matching D+ to their top tier. You get 5% discount for starters. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, little britain said:

Well it does work. The programme was so successful that they had to stop matching D+ to their top tier. You get 5% discount for starters. 

Does status matching still work now LB?? I heard rumours its stopped? We're diamond on RC, what would they offer us on MSC 

9 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Does status matching still work now LB?? I heard rumours its stopped? We're diamond on RC, what would they offer us on MSC 

The form is still there! 
https://www.msccruises.co.uk/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club/status-match

TBH I matched a few years ago to Black their top tier ( now called Diamond)  - get free dinner for 2 in specialty, bottle of bubbles - nice drinkable Prosecco , fruit, chocolate ship and 5% discount.

Now the highest you can match to is Gold ( I think 🍍 still get matched to Diamond though) 

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/msc-cruises-loyalty-program/amp/

You have to cruise every 3 years to retain status 

• Thanks 1

Only this week saw someone post on the MSC board that they were top level on Princess and just got matched to Diamond so still available. Definitely worth doing if you are going to cruise with them.

With MSC you just have to accept that their landside customer service can be poor but if you persevere you can usually get what you want. Fortunately once onboard we've always found them helpful.

• Thanks 1

Be prepared for random cancelations if you book with MSC. We were supposed to go on Davina last year and even though we followed all the protocols, MSC canceled our booking without any explanation. When we called our TA to inquire, he said it's quite common and is the reason he no longer recommends MSC.

On 7/14/2022 at 12:05 PM, kernow said:

We love RCL and we now also love MSC. We've done 4 MSC, 2 Fantastica balcony and 2 YC with another YC booked (the trouble with YC is that it is so good you don't want to go back). We've also done GS and OS on RCL and YC beats them hands down (and is usually cheaper).

YC aside, the MSC ships are beautiful and very stylish. Entertainment is different and much more basic (shows) but still enjoyable. The new ships have a couple of Cirque style shows which are excellent but cost extra (£9). We think MDR and buffet food outside of YC is on a par with RCL but is probably more European hence the comments here from US guests. They do not have all the free snack type places like Cafe Promenade, Park cafe etc. The announcements don't bother us, we were told by the YC director in May that if there are 100 native speakers of any language then they have announcements in the language.

We've always found the service all over the ship good but it is not the over the top, in your face type of service found in the US, it's more discreet. If you are friendly to the staff and ask politely they are helpful.

I think if you go expecting it to be like RCL you may be disappointed but go with an open mind and you will probably enjoy it.

This, exactly, many thanks!...

May I to add my 2 cents? @kernow has just stated most of it yesterday which I fully agree. Permit me to give my comparative review from both many MSC and an RCI Oasis class experiences I had, from a perspective of a market analyst I was back in the day before retirement. Bear in mind though that personal tastes are subjective, but general sense of quality is clearly objective and can to be technically measured in some ways. Both RCI and MSC are part of what is called the mainstream cruise industry what means they're both part of what comparatively would to be an European 4* hotel on land. Both companies strictly follow that tourism industry standards, with some distinctiveness from one another.

That said; let me first to add that nobody wins an RCI Oasis class ship on what its size permits RCI to offer inside them! They're simply a class of their own on the industry with only the soon to be MSC's World class to challenge a bit, if they're ready to manage such a ship like that.

So let us to begin with the comparison:

Both lines have great ships, safe, well maintained and clean. MSC might to have a slight edge on this, but nothing to really write home about.

RCI ships are american style decorated. MSC as an Italian line has an Italian flavor. RCI inside seems darker than MSC. MSC more colorful as well.

Embarkation and debarkation depends mostly on the ports ability to process them. It can be hit or miss in both lines depending from where you board, it can vary largely, at least here in Europe.

Ship sponsored shore excursions will come from same providers in both lines and both can be hit or miss. MSC ones are usually cheaper.

Bar service is good on both lines. RCI bartenders more likely to accept off the menu requests.

Buffet options and service seems far better on RCI, but again: I only did Oasis class, and this is one the details where the huge space available pays its dividends on the offering. On top of that; by default dinner buffets on MSC are seen as "last opportunity" for you to eat if you fail your MDR time slot because once on holiday, Europeans will enjoy the most a table service versus a buffet, so MSC dinner buffets will most likely to be on the poor side of the pound by design. Maybe they have that "corrected" for the US sailings.

MDR food and service are slightly the same quality on both lines. I'd to give a little edge to MSC once the options are generally somewhat more refined, smaller portions, and less entertainment from the crew. They do their job, but on a quite discreet mode, making for a more quiet and more refined ambiance. RCI trends for American comfort food, MSC trends to Mediterranean one.

Cabins are larger on Oasis class. You said, Oasis class? Obviously yes!

Entertainment is far better on Oasis class. Hey! Oasis class? Yeah!...

I have not experienced other services like spa, specialty dining, photographers or other extras on both lines. RCI more prone to upsell pressure to buy extra services. MSC more relaxed familiar European service that is not on your face. This is their main advantage personally for me. MSC has a quite nice logo shop where they used to have some nice and really affordable items on offer. Oasis, oh well: They have that lift bar which is "mandatory" to do at least once in a lifetime!

So: What's your favorite? What would you buy really? I'd to go with either one with no problems. Without the Oasis class Wow factor, I'd say MSC as superior product. Obviously I'd to do another Oasis for the unique distinctiveness. Either way one would to be well on either one.

Hope to have helped a bit. Have a nice day!...

• Like 6

To the original poster, I don't know if you have sailed with NCL but I would argue that MSC is more akin to the Norwegian ships rather than the Oasis class.  If are are familiar with NCL they have an enclave called the Haven, on the MSC ships its the yatch club.

We have sailed with all three cruise lines, along with many others.  Now we don't mind the MSC ships but of late, have found ourselves sailing more with Celebrity, Princess and Cunard.  For us, we like the Solarium on the Oasis Class.  We also like the fact that we have the "run of the ship".  With the newer Princess ships they have the Sanctuary rather than the Solarium.  However, you can chose whether or not you want to pay a bit extra to patronise that area.  On MSC, there is no option, especially on the newer ships.  You have to pay a lot more to sail in the yatch to enjoy areas at the front/bow the ship that in most part are free to use on other lines.

10 hours ago, frank808 said:

FYI, your statements are contradictory.

Acre I’ve done more research I just figured the haste of putting in a status match isn’t worth it.

40 minutes ago, JP350 said:

Acre I’ve done more research I just figured the haste of putting in a status match isn’t worth it.

Aside from what you would get with a status match (I do love those chocolate ships😄) why wouldn't  you think that 5% off isn't worth it?

On 7/14/2022 at 6:40 PM, JP350 said:

The suite experience on Royal has taken a 180 in the last few years, and on wonder it’s nearly perfect it an experience now not just the room. With the restaurant and lounge and exclusive pool and bar. 

You won’t call the suite deck on Winder “perfect” once you see YC.! A whole different league. 

• Like 3