Will Celebrity refund unused onboard credit?

islandwoman

16 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

If I have onboard credit (OBC) left over at the end of the cruise, will Celebrity refund it?  This credit was acquired as part of my booking, if that makes a difference.

No, use it or loose it if it is from Celebrity.

If it is OBC from your TA sometimes it can be refundable to your credit card, you would need to check.

If you don’t want to use it for excursions, speciality meals etc you can always resort to bottles or handbags! Cruisestitch did a fantastic post of the myriad of ways you could spend OBC, if you are struggling for uses give it a search.

• Thanks 1

You did not say how you booked.  If directly with Celebrity use it or lose it. If with a TA OBC from them is often shown as OBCR on your statement and refundable.  On about day 2 - most OBC from TAs does not get credited until after you board - go to customer relations as ask for a printout.   If you are unsure ask them to explain.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We used half of our leftover OBC for extra grats for a special crew member, and half for the welfare fund for the onboard Ukrainian crew members.

Great use…

NR OBC is use or loose.    Agent or coded RF OBC will be either refunded to your credit card or the last day of the cruise they will allow you to withdraw in in cash.    We often do this so we can give cash as additional gratuities. 

As you spend money they apply to NR first and once used up they apply against RF

As mentioned prior, you (may) see two OBC designations: RF OBC - Refundable and NR OBC - Nonrefundable. And they mean what they are titled. 

If you booked an excursion or a special restaurant prior to the cruise online, and then cancel on board, it is moved over to your On Board Account as OBCR since its your money.

NF OBC is (usually) used first for On Board charges and then RF OBC so there’s a chance your OBC leftovers go to your CC. 

And great idea of how to use your OBC via gratuities. Didn’t know you could draw as cash and then provide. Nice. 

Have a good chunk of OBC for our upcoming Oct cruise; I booked some excursions but made a mistake and put it on my CC. I realized I could use my OBC, so I went back, canceled the tours and rebooked and paid using OBC. Worked just fine.

Den

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

NR OBC is use or loose.    Agent or coded RF OBC will be either refunded to your credit card or the last day of the cruise they will allow you to withdraw in in cash.    We often do this so we can give cash as additional gratuities. 

As you spend money they apply to NR first and once used up they apply against RF

My confirmation only says "onboard credit".  How do I know whether it's NR or RF?  What do those initials mean anyway - "No Refund" and "ReFundable"?

If you track, you OBC and charges on your Cabin TV account and see unused OBC just go to Guest Relations and ask if any are Refundable.

If Not you may as well Spend it before you leave the ship.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

That works on some Celebrity ships but not all.  It does not work on Reflection, for one.

I believe it can be done on all ships but on some, I think it was the Millie(?), you simply had to go to the cashier and request a room charge

6 hours ago, islandwoman said:

My confirmation only says "onboard credit".  How do I know whether it's NR or RF?  What do those initials mean anyway - "No Refund" and "ReFundable"?

If it is on a Celebrity Confirmation it is a NR.     Agents Refundables are not shown on the Celebrity invoice and don't show on your Manage Booking until you board the ship.

Easiest is if you go to Manage account and select something to book   Top Right nearer shopping cart you will see your remaining NR OBC.

Once onboard the ship they will be coded as NR or R and I believe on the TV will write out the word.

• Thanks 1