Kummelweck sandwich

This is interesting; we were on Grandeur in September and Kummelweck was never available; every time I went by there they were only serving Pork tenderloin sandwiches. I don't believe i went by on Embarkation day so maybe that is the only time it is served. I do like the sandwich!

1 hour ago, slyster said:

can you order the sandwich without horseradish? (I can't stand it)

Yes. You can order it with whatever you would like it or nothing at all. However you really must put on whatever gravy etc. they have for it. Make sure you have them cut the meat super thin.

• Like 1

If you have ever had a good Beef on Weck in Buffalo, or elsewhere, you would be very disappointed with the one they were serving on Grandeur during our August cruise. 

Their version of the Park Cafe was in the Solarium, which seemed like a poor location…but it is a small ship so they only have so much room…

7 hours ago, TexasRon said:

If you have ever had a good Beef on Weck in Buffalo, or elsewhere, you would be very disappointed with the one they were serving on Grandeur during our August cruise. 

Their version of the Park Cafe was in the Solarium, which seemed like a poor location…but it is a small ship so they only have so much room…

Yes in Buffalo where they smothered it in gravy. Yum for sure. Tender beef and the roll is what makes it for sure.

I was so excited for this sandwich on Harmony two weeks ago. What a joke. The first one I got had way too much horseradish and the au jus was put inside the roll. So it was hard as a rock and the meat was way too thick. I finished it, but it was not good.

I went back a second time later on the cruise (a bit more prepared) and when I asked for au jus for dipping, the guy could not accommodate me, I then asked for it to be poured on, I had to ask 3 times to get enough to help soften it, he kept doing very small amounts. I ended up covering all of the meat and roll in the au jus and that sandwich was much closer to what I was expecting, but still very chewy. At least I couldn't have used it as a bat. I was reading a book series by a Buffalo NY author that has kummelwecks in the book and I was so let down by the poor impersonation.

46 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

So basically its Arby's 

😄 

Arby's --- one fast food place that I've never liked. I'm not sure what that brown shaved stuff is, and that crap horsey sauce they offer up with it is nothing but colored HFCS !

Tom

I REALLY REALLY hope that on our Wonder cruise next year I can step into the same river twice (the land of amazing Kummelwecks!). I have this fear in the back of my mind that I will encounter some of the horrors that others have experienced, and there goes one of the major factors I've always considered when booking an Oasis class ship  (no kidding).

Tom

59 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I REALLY REALLY hope that on our Wonder cruise next year I can step into the same river twice (the land of amazing Kummelwecks!). I have this fear in the back of my mind that I will encounter some of the horrors that others have experienced, and there goes one of the major factors I've always considered when booking an Oasis class ship  (no kidding).

Tom

If they really are that good, why would they not try to make them the same across the fleet?  It isn’t rocket science; it is a sandwich. 

On 9/30/2022 at 6:31 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Yes. You can order it with whatever you would like it or nothing at all. However you really must put on whatever gravy etc. they have for it. Make sure you have them cut the meat super thin.

I didn't realize it comes with a gravy.  That definitely sounds good.  Yea if i can order it without horseradish I would love to give it a try!  I'll ask for super thin!

5 hours ago, TexasRon said:

If they really are that good, why would they not try to make them the same across the fleet?  It isn’t rocket science; it is a sandwich. 

Think about what you get on different ships. The same item is different on most all ships. One soup will not taste the same on every ship. Even hotdogs are different from ship to ship. So are french frys.

• Like 1

I was on Anthem in February and never noticed it. Cruising Anthem next month and definitely going to try it. Love warm roast beef sandwiches with gravy! Especially with a salty roll.  Probably go there at embarkation to avoid the crowd as best I can.

1 hour ago, nferr said:

I was on Anthem in February and never noticed it. Cruising Anthem next month and definitely going to try it. Love warm roast beef sandwiches with gravy! Especially with a salty roll.  Probably go there at embarkation to avoid the crowd as best I can.

It has probably been stated already, but they're served in Cafe Two70 on Anthem.

Edited by Another_Critic

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

It has probably been stated already, but they're served in Cafe Two70 on Anthem.

Yup. I went in there for breakfast a couple of times but not at lunchtime so didn't notice it.