Kummelweck sandwich

3 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Can’t understand the fascination with these. It’s beef in a roll 🤷‍♂️

That's like saying you can't understand the fascination with a steak, it's beef on a plate.

Sandwiches can be really good as can any other type of food.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

That's like saying you can't understand the fascination with a steak, it's beef on a plate.

Sandwiches can be really good as can any other type of food.

Sorry, I should have clarified. In my experience it’s a bland piece of beef in a roll. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I like other sandwiches more, but I still get one on my cruises. It really depends on the slice of beef. Sometimes it can be fatty and have gristle. I like the bun, but it can be pretty hard, so bite with caution 😂. I do like mine with horseradish and mustard.

• Like 3

The quality of the sandwich is inconsistent and very much dependent on the roast beef they’re using and what part of the roast they’re cutting when you get yours. Sometimes they’re at the grisly part of the roast which I don’t like. I make sure the roast is at least medium rare and always ask them to cut thin slices for me. If the beef is not overcooked and sliced right with the right condiments it’s a good sandwich. The roll is delicious 😋 

• Like 9

Kummelweck is the type of roll.  It has caraway seeds and a lot of salt on a hard roll.  The beef they put on it is sometimes really good and other times really gristly.  They have au jus, horseradish and mustard they will put on for you if you want.  It is worth a try.  If the beef doesn't look great, pass and try later or a different day.

• Like 3

As a  Buffalo, NY native, I can explain what a true “Beef on Weck” sandwich is. It is a delicious sandwich served as bar food in nearly every tavern in the city.

It consists of thinly sliced, tender roast beef, covered with au jus, and served on a kummelwick bun, with lots of horseradish. A kummelwick bun is a hard roll with rye seeds and salt crystals on top. Don’t know what the sandwich tastes like on RCC, but an authentic one is one you will truly enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, JOHN 57 said:

thank you livingonthebeach and yogimax, it is something to try.  Just depends on how it is cooked.  still looking forward to trying on 15 August.

Definitely try it - my money is on you won't like it - or maybe you'll love it. Don't know what all the hype is all about this unbreakable meat on a bun. 

28 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

It’s a hunk of tough roast beef on a dry roll. 
I’ve tried it several times and never bothered to finish one. 

Agree 100%.  Cheap cut of beef and sliced too thick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

As a  Buffalo, NY native, I can explain what a true “Beef on Weck” sandwich is. It is a delicious sandwich served as bar food in nearly every tavern in the city.

It consists of thinly sliced, tender roast beef, covered with au jus, and served on a kummelwick bun, with lots of horseradish. A kummelwick bun is a hard roll with rye seeds and salt crystals on top. Don’t know what the sandwich tastes like on RCC, but an authentic one is one you will truly enjoy.

Great to know but the one on RCI is not the authentic one. Hey, and what about those Buffalo Wings?

Edited by livingonthebeach