Kummelweck sandwich

5 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

I am also a Buffalo, New York native. I agree completely with what you said. I have never found a beef on weck sandwich as good as we can get in Buffalo.

Best I had was a few months ago in bar-bills in East Aurora, also great wings .

3 hours ago, trivia addict said:

As a  Buffalo, NY native, I can explain what a true “Beef on Weck” sandwich is. It is a delicious sandwich served as bar food in nearly every tavern in the city.

It consists of thinly sliced, tender roast beef, covered with au jus, and served on a kummelwick bun, with lots of horseradish. A kummelwick bun is a hard roll with rye seeds and salt crystals on top. Don’t know what the sandwich tastes like on RCC, but an authentic one is one you will truly enjoy.

I hate to be the one to correct the Buffalo native, but the seeds on the kummelweck are caraway seeds rather than rye, thus the "kummel" (or kümmel).

• Like 1

The use of the proper cut of beef is a problem.   I think they started making them with ribeye roasts but I've seen various cuts of round (top round, eye round, etc.) on more than one occasion, and it's fine when sliced very thin like for Chicago style Italian Beef.  But they cut it in a quarter inch slab and drop one or two of those on the roll and it's difficult to eat.  And this was before the now common "supply chain issues". 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

I am also a Buffalo, New York native. I agree completely with what you said. I have never found a beef on weck sandwich as good as we can get in Buffalo.

The place we used to go to 58 years ago in Buffalo was Baylows. A tavern. We were about 18 years old. Awesome.

21 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

The place we used to go to 58 years ago in Buffalo was Baylows. A tavern. We were about 18 years old. Awesome.

Bailo’s burnt down in 1979 and was never rebuilt. But I enjoyed going there many many years ago in my youth.

Im not a fan either . Lots of gristle and a tough piece of thick meat .

Get yourself a knife and fork and go at er .

I like park cafe though for the salads , i just bypass the sandwich line and go directly to the salad bar . They make one up for you and i like topping it off with the honey mustard dressing. 

I sometimes order the sandwich and end up destroying it with the utensils .

Never finished one yet. 

7 hours ago, HicksRA said:

It’s a hunk of tough roast beef on a dry roll. 
I’ve tried it several times and never bothered to finish one. 

I had one a long time ago on the Oasis (2018).  My 1 experience … the beef was tough thick slices on a ehhh roll.

My Mom (86 now) grew up in Grand Island, NewYork. All my relatives live there. Now, there’s one of the BEST Beef & salty top roll!  

Back in around 2016/2017 I went on a cruise out of Jacksonville. My cousin joined me.The night before the cruise we had the most delicious beef ‘n wick. She brought it on the plane … 😋😋😋😋

P.S.

I don’t know the proper spelling. Is it Kimmelwick, Kimmelweck, Kummelwick or Kummelweck ?? 😁

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

7 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I like the bread and horseradish; more often than not the meat is tough.  Take the meat off, slice it up a bunch, put it back together.  Much easier to manage.  Would be good with an "au jus" to dip in and soften everything up a bit. 

Ask for their gravy (might be au jus) to be put on the side in a container.   I have done this.

I also ask for meat to be sliced thin and add horseradish onto both sides of the bun.   Love it!

8 hours ago, JOHN 57 said:

The kummelweck sandwich is served at the Park Cafe aboard the Grandeur of the seas.  Has anyone tried this sandwich and what did you think?

Unless I'm booking an embarkation day lunch at a specialty restaurant, It is the first thing I eat once i get on board without hesitation.

• Like 1

I did a b-3-b on the Allure last month and the sandwich was not that good, the server was cutting up a strange cut of beef.  The bread was great but, the gravy was pure salt, not worth eating, try one of the premade offerings instead. 

11 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Going on the Harmony in September. If it is not cooked to at least medium well we will not eat it also. Will be way to tough. Under cooked and over cooked will be tough meat.

Was on Harmony end of April and it was way too rare for us at the Park Cafe. Hope you have better luck !!

12 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I think you can only get them on ships with Park Cafe or Two70 Cafe.

On my recent Independance OTS cruise in June (short 3 nights booze cruise) they were in the Windjammer with no au jus in sight.  There was a horseradish concoction.  Rolls were day old hard crusted plain and the beef was 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick 🤮 

Yes, I've tried it, I loved it! I think a lot of people are surprised to see me like that, who never eat such 'American' food, trying this local delicacy. But this is how I am. I try to experience as much as possible when I am abroad, and so I don't miss many of the food. In this case, kummelweck sandwich is simply exceptional. Give it a try. you won't regret it.

• Like 2