Kummelweck sandwich

I like the bread and horseradish; more often than not the meat is tough.  Take the meat off, slice it up a bunch, put it back together.  Much easier to manage.  Would be good with an "au jus" to dip in and soften everything up a bit. 

53 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Can’t understand the fascination with these. It’s beef in a roll 🤷‍♂️

It's rock salt on top and a delicious roll. We did have a restaurant before it burned down that served them. A multitude of Super thin sliced roast beef smothered in gravy. Just an awesome sandwich. In addition the french fry's were also dunked in gravy. Yum, Yum!

43 minutes ago, poocher said:

Had one on Harmony in March.  Good but didn’t live up to the hype IMO.

Mine wasn't as good as I remembered on Harmony in late May but still tasty,

46 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

It’s a hunk of tough roast beef on a dry roll. 
I’ve tried it several times and never bothered to finish one. 

Sorry you never ad one made correctly. The roast beef needs to be sliced super thin. Not a hung of beef. The roll must be fresh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

It's rock salt on top and a delicious roll. We did have a restaurant before it burned down that served them. A multitude of Super thin sliced roast beef smothered in gravy. Just an awesome sandwich. In addition the french fry's were also dunked in gravy. Yum, Yum!

Thin sliced roast beef? Not RCI's Kummelweck sandwich. It's one slab of uneatable meat on a bun - last I tasted it. YMMV

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Sorry you never ad one made correctly. The roast beef needs to be sliced super thin. Not a hung of beef. The roll must be fresh.

I’m sorry too. 
The one described by @trivia addict sounds delicious.  
Never had anything like that on Royal….

32 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I tried it once - never again! Lots of unbreakable meat on a bun. Not even tasty. YMMV

Royal does not use roast beef. The cut is too thick will be tough and chewy. The Royal ship we were on and cannot remember which one it was. Mine was tough my wife's was tender and delicious. I went back up and the meat was cut very thin. That one was excellent.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JOHN 57 said:

thank you for the info, just have try the sandwich to see, what it is all about.

I think @Jerseygirl1416 & @reallyitsmema gave perfect answers. The quality can be inconsistent but when it's good, it's really good. I've ruin my dinner appetite by having 2 or 3 as a late afternoon "snack". LOL.   And when it's not good, well, as you can see from some some of the more passionate responses, it's really not good.

Perhaps I am remembering things differently but when Park Cafe was first introduced on Oasis, they were more quality conscience - slicing the meet thinly and discarding the beef when they reached the fatty, grisly part. Now it seems like they try to "stretch" the beef and use every last slice. When I see they are at the end of the beef, I'll wait until a fresh one comes out before ordering.

Best thing is, it's free so if you don't like it, discard & go back for another.  Or try later in the day or different day.

Come back and let us know what you think after your cruise.

• Like 5

Ive experienced this sandwich @ its best & worst on the Serenade of the Seas many times over several years...being Complimentary I give it try, its been enjoyable 75% of the time in my experience 😊...for me its the horseradish & mustard that make the sandwich 

• Like 1

When they were first introduced I couldn't stop eating them 😋.  Lately, on my last few "post covid" cruises, I've seen that the meat is really fatty with a lot of gristle in them.  And, the slices are so thick that it makes it difficult to eat.  Also, if I remember correctly, they used to add some of the au jus on top of the meats.  Haven't seen that at all lately.  Alas................😏

22 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Always cooked way too rare for us.

Going on the Harmony in September. If it is not cooked to at least medium well we will not eat it also. Will be way to tough. Under cooked and over cooked will be tough meat.

6 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

When they were first introduced I couldn't stop eating them 😋.  Lately, on my last few "post covid" cruises, I've seen that the meat is really fatty with a lot of gristle in them.  And, the slices are so thick that it makes it difficult to eat.  Also, if I remember correctly, they used to add some of the au jus on top of the meats.  Haven't seen that at all lately.  Alas................😏

Plenty of au jus and horseradish on Harmony 5/29. Can't eat it dry!

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

Can’t understand the fascination with these. It’s beef in a roll 🤷‍♂️

Beef on a weck is not beef on a roll!  🙂. The combination of caraway and salt makes it distinct.  Wish they had them on all ships.  We were on Grandeur a few years back and missed this.  

29 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Perhaps I am remembering things differently but when Park Cafe was first introduced on Oasis, they were more quality conscience - slicing the meet thinly and discarding the beef when they reached the fatty, grisly part. Now it seems like they try to "stretch" the beef and use every last slice. When I see they are at the end of the beef, I'll wait until a fresh one comes out before ordering.

I completely agree with you.  The sandwich used to be very good but the quality of beef has been horrific the last few times we tried it plus they have started serving a  nasty thick gravy instead of the au jus they used to serve. The bread has been the only consistently good and authentic part of the beef on weck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trivia addict said:

As a  Buffalo, NY native, I can explain what a true “Beef on Weck” sandwich is. It is a delicious sandwich served as bar food in nearly every tavern in the city.

It consists of thinly sliced, tender roast beef, covered with au jus, and served on a kummelwick bun, with lots of horseradish. A kummelwick bun is a hard roll with rye seeds and salt crystals on top. Don’t know what the sandwich tastes like on RCC, but an authentic one is one you will truly enjoy.

I am also a Buffalo, New York native. I agree completely with what you said. I have never found a beef on weck sandwich as good as we can get in Buffalo.

• Like 1