Celebrity App while on board

tulok

We are sailing on Summit this Sunday and wondering what all can we do with the app that is not noticeable. I realize it can open the door, deck plans, calendar, but can we use it to text other passengers on the ship. Or is there something you use it for that I need to know.

Thank you in advance.

29 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

You can text other passengers but as I recall it does not paying them so they won’t know that there’s a text waiting for them unless they happen to check into the app. It’s a fairly useless feature.

I'm not crazy about the app because of lack of notification. Easier just to call them in their cabin and or leave message. 

• Thanks 2

It has been reported on other threads by @Jim_Iainthat notification has now been added as a feature.

I used the app primarily to check menus.  However, I once planned to attend an activity on a sea day and went to the location listed in Celebrity Today.  No activity; checked the app, it had been moved to a different location.  The app had been updated, but the Today had been printed before the move.

• Like 2

Great for browsing menus.  With having WIFI I have been usually successful at sending text messages to friends on board.  The issue is neither of us want to carry our phone around on board.

On shore there is WiFi and a good 4G signal almost everywhere in Iceland and great phone service in St John's and Halifax will WiFi at the port terminals.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I'm not crazy about the app because of lack of notification.

Last year, there was incorrect information about our excursions. They cancelled our booked 10.00 and ticketed us for 14.00, yet the app still showed 10.00.

I contacted Guest Relations to ask which excursion we were on. The I.T guy apologised, but I found that it happened again later in the week.

I filled in a form mid way through the cruise and we were sent a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries. 
Hopefully it won’t happen this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

I found the messaging to be fairly unreliable. Everyone in my group has iPhones, so we just texted (iMessaged) as normal. If you have a mix of phone brands, consider using another messaging app like Facebook or WhatsApp. 

Most have iphones. We told the one couple that doesn’t we will put post it’s on their door. JK

Glad to know that will work with no issues.

I know some hate the app but being a Silicon Valley Techno Nerd - I've grown to love it.

Couple things come to mind and I ill be doing Summit in 3 weeks.  

Unfortunately you don't have all the fun stuff like the E-Class (lights, thermostate, drapery etc).

Digital Key

Book Dinner Reservations and Cancel including Specialty

View your daily account real time  (at the bottom where your express is located)

Health Questionnaire before boarding

Safety Drill once on ship

Daily Planner  and Your individual Calendar -   Individual calendar also now notifies when a tour or reservations coming up

Menus in all restaurants (handy if in Luminae or Blu and want to see if anything interests you in MDR. (M and S Class only).

Reserve  and cancel excursions while on the ship.

View all upcoming reservations and do checkin for a future cruise.

Sign up for Internet Package and I think they have a QR code to select the ships WiFi router without having to look.

Shows ship time - Temperature - Gangway UP time  and next port (lower left corner of screen with picture of ship

When you click the white ship icon lots of fun information -  example Services under Announcements shows All Aboard Times and other announcements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, tulok said:

We are sailing on Summit this Sunday and wondering what all can we do with the app that is not noticeable. I realize it can open the door, deck plans, calendar, but can we use it to text other passengers on the ship. Or is there something you use it for that I need to know.

Thank you in advance.

I use it a lot for venues, activities, deck plan, menus, wine list, hours of eateries, etc. Everything!!

The chat feature is still useless.  The ding notification is VERY faint, and does not always work.  We messed with it for a while, and quickly decided to stick with text messaging.

The other features, as listed by Jim, are excellent.  The app was VERY useful, but as snichols23 stated, you DO need to manually refresh to get the latest.  Offerings and times do change.

• Like 1

Tried to use the chat feature after reading on Cruise Critic that it now has notifications.  Not on infinity it doesn’t.  No “ping” so the recipient doesn’t know there’s a message unless they open the app and go looking for one, so I agree, the chat feature is pretty useless.

We just got off btb on the Equinox. 

I tried to use all the features and only found menus to be useful. Reservations and other things we unavailable. 

Remember the app is only as good as the internet and these two cruises it was terrible. I saw many people in line the first two days of both cruise complaining about it, especially those who must be in contact for work. 

Its a great app that needs a lot of work. The person responsible for the app was on the cruise and got to talk with him. He wanted to hear my frustrations. His response was also it is only as good as internet. He also said that the new test internet was being beta tested on on the RCL ships. He said it will be a big plus. Cannot wait for it on X. 

I use the app for adding events to my calendar. My favorite thing to do at breakfast is go thru the entire day adding a bunch of things to my calendar and then blowing them all off. The intentions are good but the follow thru, not so much.

• Haha 2