Dutch Cafe on Stantendam

southernshug

1 hour ago, New2Cruisin71 said:

The Dutch Café has a great variety of bottled beers. Are they included in the signature drink package with the Have It All deal? They are all less than $11.

image.png.073c83fd804d364bfaedb4fdf93b9ed5.png

Good luck.  No kriek or framboise on the Koningsdam on June 25 cruise - they blamed supply chain.

3 hours ago, New2Cruisin71 said:

The Dutch Café has a great variety of bottled beers. Are they included in the signature drink package with the Have It All deal? They are all less than $11.

Why would one drink a bottled Heineken when one could drink a draft Heineken?  Particularly, at the same price?  

4 hours ago, blueexpedition29 said:

Hoegaarden and Grilled ham and Cheese with a pea soup is a great lunch!!!  

But is it a real 'grilled' ham & cheese, or a toasted ham & cheese sandwich? 
Big difference between the two. 

When they were made in the Lido, they were called 'grilled' cheese, but were 'toasted'.

• Like 1

@RuthC you are a true connoisseur.

I, for one, will gladly take either toasted or grilled cheese, assuming someone else is cooking it for me. 😆 And now I really want one, but it's over 90 and my stove is staying off. Just 13 more days before I can test your question on Nieuw Statendam, though! 🥪

• Like 2

We will be on the Statendam in September....our first time on this class of ship.  The Dutch Cafe looks amazing...can't wait to try it!!   We were previously on the Zaandam and Eurodam, I think they had some kind of coffee shop perhaps it was the Explorations cafe which looks like it is also on Statendam.  What does it serve on the Statendam since they also have the Dutch Cafe?

3 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

We will be on the Statendam in September....our first time on this class of ship.  The Dutch Cafe looks amazing...can't wait to try it!!   We were previously on the Zaandam and Eurodam, I think they had some kind of coffee shop perhaps it was the Explorations cafe which looks like it is also on Statendam.  What does it serve on the Statendam since they also have the Dutch Cafe?

The Explorations Cafe in the Crows Nest on the NS serves the same items as on other HAL ships.

• Thanks 1

I know we all love the specialty coffees in the Grand Dutch Cafe, but I prefer a brewed coffee for my first cup in the morning.  And, to be honest, the brewed coffee offered in the MDR and Lido are almost undrinkable....IMO.  However, I found that the Grand Dutch Cafe offers a Rotterdam 1873 drip coffee that I fell in love with on our recent Koningsdam Alaska cruise in June of this year.  I did some browsing on the internet and learned that this coffee was actually exclusively for HAL ships and comes from Beukenhorst Coffee USA, out of West Palm Beach, FL.  If you enjoy a good drip coffee, I'd whole heartedly recommend the Rotterdam 1873 from the Grand Dutch Cafe.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, willoL said:

@RuthC you are a true connoisseur.

I, for one, will gladly take either toasted or grilled cheese, assuming someone else is cooking it for me. 😆 And now I really want one, but it's over 90 and my stove is staying off. Just 13 more days before I can test your question on Nieuw Statendam, though! 🥪

I have always come off HAL ships craving a decent grilled cheese sandwich, since they were always merely toasted, without buttering the bread on the outside before putting on the griddle. 
I sure hope on the Nieuw Statendam the sandwich truly is grilled. Hope you enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I have always come off HAL ships craving a decent grilled cheese sandwich, since they were always merely toasted, without buttering the bread on the outside before putting on the griddle. 
I sure hope on the Nieuw Statendam the sandwich truly is grilled. Hope you enjoy your cruise! 

It's grilled.  Very delicious, butter and all.  One item that is great, too, is the quiche.  Great for lunch and it comes with a tasty small salad.  My favorite.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, fsdj1097 said:

However, I found that the Grand Dutch Cafe offers a Rotterdam 1873 drip coffee that I fell in love with on our recent Koningsdam Alaska cruise in June of this year. 

Different coffee tastes here.  I tried that coffee.  I failed to see what was so "special" about it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Different coffee tastes here.  I tried that coffee.  I failed to see what was so "special" about it.  

I didn’t like the coffee either.  I blamed it on the barista but you are probably right, it is the coffee.  The Exploration Cafe coffee is better. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 4:17 PM, New2Cruisin71 said:

Indeed, this has not gone unnoticed by my husband. :classic_biggrin:🍻🍻🍻

6 hours ago, RuthC said:

Ahhh, a woman after mine own heart. The buttered all around is the key to a good grilled cheese. Reminds me of what my mom made when I was home from school sick. Ultimate comfort food. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I didn’t like the coffee either.  I blamed it on the barista but you are probably right, it is the coffee.  The Exploration Cafe coffee is better. 

I wasn't aware that they have drip coffee in the Explorations Cafe....is it a pour over?

I had the Ham & Cheese on Koningsdam.  It was huge.  And very good.  I do believe it was grilled.

I'm not a fan of bottled Heineken, but quite like the draft.  Drank a lot of it on MSC as it was the only draft beer included with their base drinks package.  Now, it's my go-to draft on any ship where I can find it!

So looking forward to the Rotterdam TA next spring and the opportunity to visit the Dutch Cafe again.  I'm not a sweets eater, but I can see myself stopping there mid-afternoon to get a little (or large) sugar buzz along with a Framboise.  😁

Edited by NCTribeFan

On 7/16/2022 at 10:36 PM, Mary229 said:

8D562F14-8632-4FC4-98D9-3F39A99B8765.jpeg

This is called a Bossche  bol . As it comes from the town of ‘s Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch) in the Netherlands. If you are ever there, go to Bakkerij Jan de Groot on the Stationsweg . Friend and foe agree , he makes the best ones. Sorry to say , but what they serve onboard doesn’t even come close imho.