Sitka Fortress of the Bear

masspector

We used a shuttle bus in 2017 that ran from the Visitor Center in downtown to Fortress of the Bear, the Raptor Center and Totem Park then back to the Visitor Center every hour. It was $ 10 pp roundtrip. I’m not sure if it is still operating or not. 

It looks like you can take the Blue Route on TheRide public bus to the Gary Paxton Industrial Park stop and Fortress of the Bear is a 5-6 min walk:

https://moovitapp.com/index/amp/en/public_transit-Fortress_Of_the_Bear-Sitka_AK-site_17106539-4614

https://ridesitka.com/the-ride/

2 hours ago, masspector said:

Cruise is in May 2023.  What is the most efficient, most affordable way to get back and forth from the dock to fortress of the bear?  Uber? Taxi?  Thanks

We rode bikes.

Take the ship shuttle from the dock into town.  At the Visitor Center/Convention Center you should be able to take the bus mentioned above by @JT1962.  The bus does a loop that will take you to the Fortress of the Bears and to the Raptor Center and returns to the Visitor Center.  It’s like a hop on hop off.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Take the ship shuttle from the dock into town.  At the Visitor Center/Convention Center you should be able to take the bus mentioned above by @JT1962.  The bus does a loop that will take you to the Fortress of the Bears and to the Raptor Center and returns to the Visitor Center.  It’s like a hop on hop off.  

Thanks...Was looking for this option for our extended family port stop in Sitka in September.

17 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I havent seen any reference to this shuttle in the last couple years, any confirmation it still is running?

1 hour ago, maranelloboy05 said:

I havent seen any reference to this shuttle in the last couple years, any confirmation it still is running?

OP is asking about May 2023 and I’m hoping tourist opportunities return to normal by then.  May is early in the tourist season.  I would contact the Fortress of the Bears in early May to see if things are getting back to normal!  In 2022 it seems to be open on certain days.  People at the visitor center should be able to advise how to best get there.  You can walk to the Raptor Center through the Totem Park but the Fortress of the Bears would be a long walk.  

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thanks...Was looking for this option for our extended family port stop in Sitka in September.

It looks like Fortress of the Bears is only open on certain days in 2022.  September is late in the cruise season so ????  Ask at the Visitor’s Center if it’s open and how to get there.

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

It looks like Fortress of the Bears is only open on certain days in 2022.  September is late in the cruise season so ????  Ask at the Visitor’s Center if it’s open and how to get there.

Yes...I know it's late in the season as we usually go mid to late May but schedules with the extended family and us being heavily booked on cruises this year only gave us this option.

Thanks we'll check at the VC when we arrive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maranelloboy05 said:

Have you contacted the Sitka visitors center to ask?  I suspect their e-mail address is in the helpful thread titled "2019 resources ...."

On 7/18/2022 at 11:28 AM, JT1962 said:

We used a shuttle bus in 2017 that ran from the Visitor Center in downtown to Fortress of the Bear, the Raptor Center and Totem Park then back to the Visitor Center every hour. It was $ 10 pp roundtrip. I’m not sure if it is still operating or not. 

It looks like you can take the Blue Route on TheRide public bus to the Gary Paxton Industrial Park stop and Fortress of the Bear is a 5-6 min walk:

https://moovitapp.com/index/amp/en/public_transit-Fortress_Of_the_Bear-Sitka_AK-site_17106539-4614

https://ridesitka.com/the-ride/

Best to check a little before your trip.  Found this from 2020

As part of the restart, we revised the Blue Line schedule and it no longer includes the Gary Paxton Industrial Park. For now, the Blue Line will turn around at Whale Park.

Also it looks like the bus does not run on the weekends.  M-F only.

• 11 months later...
On 7/4/2023 at 6:31 AM, earn said:

How did you get on with this?  Hoping to do something similar next month.

We had a great time.  A must see.  We used Specialized Tours of Sitka.  The owner is the guide, and she volunteers at the shelter, so she is very knowledgeable.  Price is very reasonable.  She has very good communication before the trip.  We took the free shuttle in town and met her there.  Then she drove us to the shelter and provided a lot of background on the bears and Sitka.  Highly recommend doing her tour as opposed to a ship excursion.  We got lucky and got there when it was not crowded.  As we were leaving several full-size busses pulled up with other tourists. 

• Like 1

We of course took the ship shuttle to the Visitor Center. Then there was a company selling roundtrip tours to the Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center. It was a great option this past September 2022. Look, as they have a big sign as you get off the ship shuttle. No need to use a private company ($).

6 hours ago, wreckem2013 said:

If you are there on weekdays public transit has resumed. Weekends and holidays they don’t run.

I learned that the hard way on the 4th of July but was able to get a taxi for $25 each way.

Just a note. For $50 for each person we got transportation to and from the visitors center and a pretty much private tour by someone knowledgeable about the sanctuary. I highly recommend the tour I mentioned for 2 to 4 people. 

5 hours ago, masspector said:

Just a note. For $50 for each person we got transportation to and from the visitors center and a pretty much private tour by someone knowledgeable about the sanctuary. I highly recommend the tour I mentioned for 2 to 4 people. 

I think a private tour is probably only good if you are not at the Fortress of the Bear at the same time as large tours.

I booked a private tour through a different company that charged a tad more but included Rapture Center, Fortress of the Bear and then Sitka National Historical Park. It was fine. I don't know if it was by chance but we missed the crowds at the Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear.

The highlight of Fortress of the Bear (for me) was speaking to the gentleman who started it. He went through what all was involved and what they are currently doing. The guy was incredibly fascinating. He was sitting outside just speaking with individuals. 

I’m a sucker for all wildlife rescues and sanctuaries, so going to Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Rescue Center was a no-brained for me.  I booked with Sitka Wildlife Tours.  9 of us in the van.  Besides the 2 centers, we went to Sitka National Historic Park and did a little walk in the woods.  We got everywhere before the big buses did.  I really enjoyed the trip. It was the only excursion I booked for my cruise.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I’m a sucker for all wildlife rescues and sanctuaries, so going to Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Rescue Center was a no-brained for me.  I booked with Sitka Wildlife Tours.  9 of us in the van.  Besides the 2 centers, we went to Sitka National Historic Park and did a little walk in the woods.  We got everywhere before the big buses did.  I really enjoyed the trip. It was the only excursion I booked for my cruise.  

I agree. Both of those centers were amazing IMO.