NCL Epic closing spice H20 and the sports deck

I just received the following from NCL. This is for sailing out the 14th August. Just be aware if you are booking anything for this time to check as losing SPICE H20 is a big think if you like outdoor space to relax etc. There is now where else on the EPIC apart from the main pool. Also this is Adults only. Also they have the main parties out here at night. Glow, the white hot part etc. All will I guess be in the BLISS. Finally with the loss of that space there will be a rush on to find sunbeds. Why NCL have to do this is August in baffling. Also offering $50 per state room is an insult. 

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for choosing Norwegian Epic for your vacation at sea.

We continuously aim to offer an enhanced experience for all our guests, and we strive to provide a world-class product consistent throughout our fleet. As part of this commitment, Norwegian Epic Sports Complex and Spice H2O are undergoing maintenance to better serve our guests, and therefore will be closed during your cruise. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

As a gesture of goodwill, all reservations will receive a $50 non-refundable onboard credit per cabin.

Thank you for your understanding and for trusting us with your well-deserved holiday. As always, we are at your service and will make every effort to ensure you have a wonderful vacation aboard Norwegian Epic.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line

• Like 2

Not great.  I never like when cruise lines and esp NCL close down parts of the ship during a cruise for maintenance.  But something must need fixed and needs fixed now. Not the end of the world.  Epic is a great ship (been on her twice) and you will have a great time.  Aren't cruises not packed like crazy anymore?  Perhaps that will blunt the blow for chairs.  Prior Covid this would be a bigger issue when 4200 passengers cruise the Epic.

• Like 5

When I cruised the Epic last March, Spice was almost unusable when the ship was sailing because we'd get showered in greasy soot and rusty scale from the ship's chimneys.  The only time it was usable was when the ship was not moving or if we had a strong cross wind. 

I'm hoping this closure is to fix this situation as it was bloody unpleasant.

• Like 3

I was equally upset when I got the email as I was glad to see that there was an adult location. I also agree the the $50 was a bit of an insult, not good faith. August is hot, wonder how they are accommodating the loss of lounges. We are sailing in August from Rome.  I hope something is done by then. 

• Like 1

Here's an article on the closing if interested:

https://www.cruisehive.com/popular-venues-closing-onboard-norwegian-cruise-line-ship/76870

This seems like a lot of 'news' for a one week closing. I don't think I've ever witnessed such a short closing attract so much attention. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Not great.  I never like when cruise lines and esp NCL close down parts of the ship during a cruise for maintenance.  But something must need fixed and needs fixed now. Not the end of the world.  Epic is a great ship (been on her twice) and you will have a great time.  Aren't cruises not packed like crazy anymore?  Perhaps that will blunt the blow for chairs.  Prior Covid this would be a bigger issue when 4200 passengers cruise the Epic.

Didn't they do something like that on the Sun a few years back. Between the noise and the fumes from the paint it turned into one big cluster puck.... And bad Press

Edited by Laszlo

6 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Prior Covid this would be a bigger issue when 4200 passengers cruise the Epic.

not sure how the NCL ships are booked but the MSC ships at the Med are full at nearly 100% at the moment.

i think August is a bad timing for that, but who knows what option they had.

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Does Epic have Vibe? Try to pre-book yourself into Vibe. It should be quiet, with a bar, and place to spread out! 

The Posh Club is the Haven Sundeck. It has a private bar and water feature (but no pool or hot tub, those are down in the Haven courtyard). They sell a small number (10-20) passes to steerage class passengers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Spice has been closed for a few weeks now, I am following a few groups on SM. We are sailing July 31st and received this letter a couple of weeks ago. I am not particularly happy that it's closed but I'm not mad or upset, I'm just happy to be cruising.

I think the glow party etc is on the pool deck now. They have a sign at Spice H2o advising that one side of deck 18 FWD sundeck is 18+.

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

If nothing else it's poor planning, this could have been a while ago when the ship was less full or even empty

Unless the issue had not yet cropped up or the parts or people needed to complete the service were not available.

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Didn't they do something like that on the Sun a few years back. Between the noise and the fumes from the paint it turned into one big cluster puck.... And bad Press

Yes but far worse.  It was a Panama Canal cruise and construction was going on everywhere and 25% of public areas were closed.  It was the last cruise before dry dock or something and they started early.  The photos and scale of those construction zones was insane. The noise too.  After backlash that started here, NCL did a big refund to guests. I don't think closing Spice H20 would be the same scale though.  Its a nice place to visit and watch a late night movie on the big screen but never hung out there so much.

Has the Epic been retrofitted with fuel oil scrubbers?  If not, this could be the reason for the temporary closure of those facilities.  The scrubbers are installed to the rear of the stacks and the sports deck and the Posh and would be in that construction bullseye.

14 minutes ago, razor7_us said:

Has the Epic been retrofitted with fuel oil scrubbers?  If not, this could be the reason for the temporary closure of those facilities.  The scrubbers are installed to the rear of the stacks and the sports deck and the Posh and would be in that construction bullseye.

Installation of those would require shipyard access with a crane.  It may be PREP for it, if they need to be installed.  BA and GA got them during COVID, they're exhaust scrubbers, not oil scrubbers, and I thought someone said the Epic might already have them.

• Like 1

I spent a lot of daytime hours on my Transatlantic near the Spice H2o bar. Great area for relaxing. But we were getting hit with those oil droplets so that may be what they're working on. I would really miss that area on a cruise though. The main pool area is way too crowded IMO.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, S1946 said:

Heard from travel advisor,  he said he just heard about this this morning, and nothing has been said about passes to the Posh.  He would let me know, really?

Brace yourself because they are very difficult to obtain, even more difficult than the old Vibe passes. Posh is part of the Haven and they only sell a handful of passes. If you do score one, it will incredible. 

11 hours ago, Pat.D said:

When I cruised the Epic last March, Spice was almost unusable when the ship was sailing because we'd get showered in greasy soot and rusty scale from the ship's chimneys.  The only time it was usable was when the ship was not moving or if we had a strong cross wind. 

I'm hoping this closure is to fix this situation as it was bloody unpleasant.

yes I agree.

Just was on the Breakaway and during the night parties the smoke from stack was strong.

Also I feel the Water grotto should be covered a bit more as the sun makes it too hot to even walk around the tiles.

I found the place to be empty a lot except for the parties.  Guess this is why Bliss and Encore removed  the area and put in the track.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Guess this is why Bliss and Encore removed  the area and put in the track.

The track has nothing to do with that.  Bliss and Joy both still have Spice while also having the track.  Encore removed Spice in favor of placing the laser tag there so the space occupied by laser tag on Bliss could be used for Vibe...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

The track has nothing to do with that.  Bliss and Joy both still have Spice while also having the track.  Encore removed Spice in favor of placing the laser tag there so the space occupied by laser tag on Bliss could be used for Vibe...

ok I knew one of the ships removed H2O.  My favorite H2O is on Escape

16 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

ok I knew one of the ships removed H2O.  My favorite H2O is on Escape

I don't think it was "removed" from Encore. It never had it. I love Spice H2O., and enjoyed Epic's tiny pool and really like the grotto on Escape. I usually use the hot tubs at H2O in the morning while they are fresh, and would be very disappointed if I were on this affected sailing. I feel that the compensation should be a little bit more. I would put the money towards a Thermal Suite pass if they are still available. 

2 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I don't think it was "removed" from Encore. It never had it. I love Spice H2O., and enjoyed Epic's tiny pool and really like the grotto on Escape. I usually use the hot tubs at H2O in the morning while they are fresh, and would be very disappointed if I were on this affected sailing. I feel that the compensation should be a little bit more. I would put the money towards a Thermal Suite pass if they are still available. 

I meant removed from the plans to not build or add.

NCL Prima and VIVA really look like they are going to be innovative and unique.  On the Breakaway they had a presentation and more to come in September.  Will be a total of 6 in the class

• Like 1