from Princess regarding new CDC rules

sunsetme

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

If there are hundreds of people who are unvaxxed on a ship with an outbreak - who gets to use the few respirators onboard?

[Heard through coughs and wheezing]:  "I'm Elite!", and, "I'm in a Suite!"  😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 14

1 minute ago, Phantom of the Seas said:

Still think you will have to show proof of being vaccinated & boostered......

100%  Easy to do, and doesn't slow down the boarding process at all. No worse than presenting an ID or passport and can be uploaded onto the Medallion App (in theory).  Everyone seems to get the "Pending" message, and perhaps someday that will be fixed.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Billish said:

Personally I was always in favour of testing at the port, but accept that logistically it caused problems,  plus the emotional impact on those that tested positive.

Testing three days prior to embarkation is really just theatre.  P&O are now using a trust system, asking people to test themselves, and declare if they are positive.  In reality it means that testing is now finished as far as P&O are concerned.

I agree that testing at the port seems to be a better option (additional disruption not withstanding). 

We have been on the wrong end of it - we were supposed to sail from Southampton in March, home-tested on the Sunday before we left Yorkshire (both negative), stayed overnight near Southampton and tested again on Monday morning with Princess. Joined the queue for check-in then got a message for DH to contact a Princess rep. DH taken away to arrivals hall to get the bad news that he had tested positive (leaving me in the queue) and then wasn't allowed out again to come and let me know what had happened. Luggage was already on board, car already taken away by CPS and it took 5 hours for them to locate the luggage for us to be able to head home. 

Despite all that I still think it was better than the alternative - if we'd taken observed tests in Yorkshire we'd have boarded and probably spent most of the cruise in quarantine.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Where would this be, and what constitutes "many"?  I haven't seen a mask requirement anywhere except a doctors office in months and months.

Come to Centre Stage here in Portland. You must show proof of vaccination and wear a mask for all performances 

4 hours ago, Martha1974 said:

Despite all that I still think it was better than the alternative - if we'd taken observed tests in Yorkshire we'd have boarded and probably spent most of the cruise in quarantine. 

If I was embarking on a long voyage - such as we have upcoming in October - I'd like to have the option to quarantine for a few days on board, rather than be stuck overseas waiting to fly back home.  If it was a short Caribbean trip, well forget it I guess. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If I was embarking on a long voyage - such as we have upcoming in October - I'd like to have the option to quarantine for a few days on board, rather than be stuck overseas waiting to fly back home.  If it was a short Caribbean trip, well forget it I guess. 

I totally understand your logic. We were supposed to be on a 12-night cruise so realistically we could have been out of quarantine before the end of the cruise. However, because DH and I are restricted to how much vacation time we get from work, for us staying on-shore and cancelling the vacation time to use again later in the year was a better option than sailing and not getting the cruise experience that we wanted. We’ve rebooked for September and are keeping everything crossed that we’ll make it on board this time. 

5 hours ago, memoak said:

Come to Centre Stage here in Portland. You must show proof of vaccination and wear a mask for all performances 

Come to the east coast.  Kennedy Center and no masks or vaccine passport required.  Just got back from the Big Easy and several jazz venues.  Same thing.  Not a movie theater anywhere requiring those either.  Florida never closed.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Come to the east coast.  Kennedy Center and no masks or vaccine passport required.  Just got back from the Big Easy and several jazz venues.  Same thing.  Not a movie theater anywhere requiring those either.  Florida never closed.  

Even Ontario, which opened back up slowly, has not required masks in theaters for a long time now.  We were at a live Broadway-style musical two weeks ago and I would say it was pretty much half elected to wear a mask.  In fact this particular show is going to Broadway after it leaves Toronto, so we were seeing the future Broadway cast and show.  I HIGHLY recommend the show &JULIET, if I can put in a plug.  It was a blast!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

In fact this particular show is going to Broadway after it leaves Toronto, so we were seeing the future Broadway cast and show.  I HIGHLY recommend the show &JULIET, if I can put in a plug.  It was a blast!!

The advice is if you go to see it on Broadway, a mask is optional, but a bulletproof vest is strongly recommended...🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Comic-con in San Diego, vaccinated or negative test and masked for all badge holders.  
Ordered tests from Optum today for our September cruise.

Waiting, along with thousands of others, for reimbursement of expenses from isolation in London.   Eight weeks, another four to go.

Okay here's another viewpoint ...

Halfway through our cruise I caught a bug.  I went and tested myself, because we brought along kits.  I tested positive, but after observing what I had seen over the past couple of days, I decided to just continue on (since my symptoms didn't seem so bad.)  Since most people were unmasked and really didn't seem to care, and there were many who seemed indignant about precautionary exercises to protect themselves, I figure I'd just continue as business as usual rather causing myself a great inconvenience from being quarantined.  Besides many of those people were in mobility devices, and seemed rather indigent at the idea of wearing masks,. I just figured "no harm, no foul".

Okay, I did catch some sniffles, but I tested negative.  But I thought I'd pass this scenario along, because I'm sure it is the attitude of many on-board.  God forbid if they should have an outbreak of Norovirus and they really decide to implement hygiene measures ...  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phantom of the Seas said:

Need to revive this topic....go to “cruisehive.com/po-cruise”.....a ? “0f when, not if”....

Went to the link and its an article about P&O gratuities????

18 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The advice is if you go to see it on Broadway, a mask is optional, but a bulletproof vest is strongly recommended...🙄

Although you received ha has and thank you, and likes, that is really not funny. 😒

38 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Although you received ha has and thank you, and likes, that is really not funny. 😒

You're right. No vest needed. Why should anybody risk their life going to a NYC show anyway?

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A gentleman was so unhappy with the the CDC's relaxation of the Covid rules for cruise lines that he is sharing Covid data reported for each ship.  Some of the charts are tough to decipher but if you're interested in seeing what the numbers are on each ship, here's the source https://observablehq.com/@andy-bloch/andys-cdc-cruise-ship-covid-outbreak-tracker

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 3:54 PM, rj59 said:

"... Then there will be the issue for crew, who are having outbreaks despite masking in front of passengers..."

Just off a 13 day cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Many of the crew were not wearing their mask over their nose, so the effectiveness of the mask was minimal at best. Some just wore them on their chin under their mouth at times. And I could be wrong, but I think off-duty crew on shore may not have been wearing masks.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:32 PM, memoak said:

Maybe not testing but many theater venues require 100% masking and no food or drink allowed inside the seated areas. 

So you can no longer order a beverage while watching a show in the Princess Theater?