Better "Beach Day" vs Better "Stay Onboard Day" ?

LMaxwell

On 7/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, Nymich said:

First shot HAL HMC beach November 2021

Second shot RCL Coco Cay October 2021

Thirst shot NCL Great Stirrup January 2022

You be the judge... "beach" wise......

snipped the photos

At HMC, we walk down past all those "villas" to the actual, long sand beach: Half Moon Cay (Bahamas Carnival private island) cruise port schedule |  CruiseMapper

7 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

At HMC, we walk down past all those "villas" to the actual, long sand beach: Half Moon Cay (Bahamas Carnival private island) cruise port schedule |  CruiseMapper

And your last time there was?  Do you have any recent pics you took showing the beach?

I'm still trying to work out the umbrella situation.  If no umbrellas, is there a section with trees overhead?  I don't place high priority about being in the very front row at the waterline; but even with hat, sunglasses, and sunblock I can not be in direct sunlight.  If this requires a further walk down the beach to get to, I am OK with that also.  Just can not be in direct sunlight. Is the rental of clamshells, as much as I dislike them, an onboard "excursion" or a cash rental on the island? 

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I'm still trying to work out the umbrella situation.  If no umbrellas, is there a section with trees overhead?  I don't place high priority about being in the very front row at the waterline; but even with hat, sunglasses, and sunblock I can not be in direct sunlight.  If this requires a further walk down the beach to get to, I am OK with that also.  Just can not be in direct sunlight. Is the rental of clamshells, as much as I dislike them, an onboard "excursion" or a cash rental on the island? 

There are some trees close to where the tender drops you off.  Not alot, so get there early.

22 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

It's a bit of a walk, but if you go down the path behind the beach, past the dining pavilions and past the pirate ship, you will come to where there are no more cabanas.  There are plenty of trees there to sit under. 

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.50.16 AM.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Clam shells are an excursion thru hal.

35 minutes ago, Nymich said:

And your last time there was?  Do you have any recent pics you took showing the beach?

Last time was Dec 2019. It looked pretty much exactly like these photos. No pics of my own (I no longer take travel photos, lol) but once you walk past the villas, cabanas, and buildings, it's a long wide stretch of white sand backed by tamarisk and palms. That being said, most of the commercial end of the island--where the tenders put in, etc.--was carved out of the rocks, so that is what you'll see there.

It's likely that there are member reviews here on CC that include photos, but I haven't looked. 

Posted Feb. 8, 2022: https://eatsleepcruise.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-half-moon-cay-bahamas/

Here are some shots by a site that posted on June 3, 2021. https://traveladdicts.net/half-moon-cay-bahamas/

This site has some really good advice HMC (as well as realistic photos) but no date on when they were shot:  https://www.thebudgetsavvytravelers.com/half-moon-cay/about

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Last time was Dec 2019. It looked pretty much exactly like these photos. No pics of my own (I no longer take travel photos, lol) but once you walk past the villas, cabanas, and buildings, it's a long wide stretch of white sand backed by tamarisk and palms. That being said, most of the commercial end of the island--where the tenders put in, etc.--was carved out of the rocks, so that is what you'll see there.

It's likely that there are member reviews here on CC that include photos, but I haven't looked. 

Posted Feb. 8, 2022: https://eatsleepcruise.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-half-moon-cay-bahamas/

Here are some shots by a site that posted on June 3, 2021. https://traveladdicts.net/half-moon-cay-bahamas/

This site has some really good advice HMC (as well as realistic photos) but no date on when they were shot:  https://www.thebudgetsavvytravelers.com/half-moon-cay/about

Just because those articles have  written dates doesn't mean the picture/s are from that date as you stated . 

All I know for sure is photos I took in November 2021 with the eroded beach.  Maybe they have done some work since then and brought some fill in.

24 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Just because those articles have  written dates doesn't mean the picture/s are from that date as you stated . 

All I know for sure is photos I took in November 2021 with the eroded beach.  Maybe they have done some work since then and brought some fill in.

So was the entire 2.5 miles eroded, or mostly the part with the villas and other buildings? That section has had a very short beach since those structures were built, all the way down by the waterline.

Edited by sofietucker

29 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

So was the entire 2.5 miles eroded, or mostly the part with the villas and other buildings? That section has had a very short beach since those structures were built, all the way down by the waterline.

We didn't walk that far this time but we have done some nice photo shoots down there.  Wink Wink   We had also just been in Bimini at a fantastic beach so didn't feel like hiking.

If someone wants to walk the 3 to 5 miles round trip do it and bring your camera. Lol

Edited by Nymich
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sofietucker said:

And if you don't care about renting a cabana or lounger--because again, you have to pay, though I think if you are first off the ship, you MAY be able to snag a free chair--do like us and take along your fab weighted beach blanket from Amazon--or even one of their very portable, wind- & sunscreen shelters.

There is no cost for the loungers and there have always been tons available.  

9 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

We walk past the cabanas to where the hammocks are to get some shade.

7 hours ago, Nymich said:

We were at HMC this past December and there was no erosion.  The beach was as wide as it has always been.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

We were at HMC this past December and there was no erosion.  The beach was as wide as it has always been.

That's great!  Throw a pic or two up so we can see the new wide beach!

51 minutes ago, Nymich said:

The picture I posted above with the arrows pointing to the path and to the trees was taken this past February.  Just don't ask me how I got it though! 

Linda R.

45 minutes ago, Nymich said:

We are long past fancy picture-taking of HMC, since we’ve been there quite a number of times, but here’s one from the perspective of us sitting under the trees in the shade.  From this perspective it’s difficult to determine the depth of the beach but it was the same as @oakridger’s photo: about 5 lounger rows in depth.  I even took a pic of the pic so you could see the date it was taken.  Anyone who has lived near the water knows how rain, onshore winds, and positions of the sun, earth, moon can push water onto the shore.  Even winds miles away can push water to shore.

1935E745-71ED-4EA1-8DB9-FD941313304D.thumb.jpeg.00416ec54a0e9928d2991f74b0c65e12.jpeg

• Like 1

I do live by the Ocean so I get it.  Not a very wide impressive beach picture to me but as was noted earlier if one takes a good hike you can have a big beach on HMC just no loungers.

Your photo is awesome though.  The water at HMC is always beautiful.  That must have been a nice place to sit and relax for sure!

Edited by Nymich

56 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

The picture I posted above with the arrows pointing to the path and to the trees was taken this past February.  Just don't ask me how I got it though! 

Linda R.

With all due respect that picture looks doctored up to sell HMC to sell cruises.  It doesn't even look like an authentic photo like others have posted here.

1 minute ago, Nymich said:

With all due respect that picture looks doctored up to sell HMC to sell cruises.  It doesn't even look like an authentic photo like others have posted here.

I can assure you, it is a real picture and not from some brochure somewhere.  I never post pictures that are not mine.

Linda R.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I will keep that in mind the next time I’m there.  Note to self:  Take wide impressive beach picture for Nymich.  😜

Yes wide impressive beach picture WITH loungers!  Or heck get someone to drag one lounger out and snap that pic. 

4 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

I can assure you, it is a real picture and not from some brochure somewhere.  I never post pictures that are not mine.

Linda R.

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

Linda R.

Ok all of the above sounds good to me!