Check-in on ship

36 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Note that whatever luggage you would walk on with has to fit within the scanners in the terminal (similar to airport scanners for carry-on bags).

Ah ok so my large suitcases might be tough to carry on for the scanner

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lionheart said:

I believe that all luggage has to be x-rayed before being allowed on the ship. Not sure where you would take a standard sized suitcase, but I’m sure someone could help you.

13 minutes ago, lionheart said:

Not just tough to carry on, but they probably won't allow them, since they won't fit.  They would have to go through the normal checked bag system, which uses a larger scanner.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Not just tough to carry on, but they probably won't allow them, since they won't fit.  They would have to go through the normal checked bag system, which uses a larger scanner.

I have seen massive suitcases at Miami, PC, and Ft Lauderdale. Typically all the STAR luggage goes through the regular scanners.

Never an issue

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I have seen massive suitcases at Miami, PC, and Ft Lauderdale. Typically all the STAR luggage goes through the regular scanners.

Never an issue

Is OP leaving out of one of those ports?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Is OP leaving out of one of those ports?

3 busiest ports in the world😉

Do you know🤔

I'd guess Copenhagen on further review 

Will be there in two weeks, I'll ask

Edited by John&LaLa

Yes, after 2:00 I'd bring my luggage with me -- assuming it's not difficult physically for you to do so.

I bought one of those massive suitcases years ago -- back when my kids were small.  We all four packed in it for our first cruise.  It was a mistake:  yeah, my husband could manage the suitcase himself, leaving me to wrangle the kids, but it was difficult to lift into the trunk of the car, and it didn't fit under the bed!  I gave it to my mother, who used it exactly once -- then she, disliking it as much as I did, gave it away.  

If your luggage won't fit through the scanner, consider bringing two smaller suitcases -- ideally, a rolling carry-on and a zippered tote that fits over the suitcase handle; my Vera Bradley Grand Traveler does this, so one person can easily manage the suitcase + the tote.  

What is STAR luggage? 

tote.webp

Edited by Mum2Mercury

11 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If the cruise line finally smartens up and start charging for luggage handling, like the airlines do, they’ll probably be a lot of people toting their bags on an off the ship. Debarkation would really be a blast to watch.

If they did that, they'd probably start to limit luggage too.  We really like self-disembarkation, and the getting-off-the-ship part is already kinda difficult with people carrying so much through the halls. 

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No matter our check in time at the terminal are we aren't going to be schlepping our luggage. 

Two choices, neither one ideal: 

- Roll your own luggage a fairly long distance as you board.  

- Wait an undetermined amount of time for your luggage to be delivered to your room. 

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Two choices, neither one ideal: 

- Roll your own luggage a fairly long distance as you board.  

- Wait an undetermined amount of time for your luggage to be delivered to your room. 

Well aware of our choices. :classic_rolleyes: We'll wait. We don't pack light. We do B2B cruises. Our luggage probably (?) wouldn't fit thru the scanner. 

Edited by davekathy

It all depends on how many suitcases you are bringing.  And like another poster said if it is a problem for you to lug them.  The location of your cabin can also play a part.  I am not sure at that late hour if you would have to wait long for the suitcases to arrive.  

We never EVER take our own luggage on the ship.  We check everything but our backpack and my tote with our valuables.  On 3 night cruises, we do self-disembark since we have 2 smaller suitcases.  On a 7 or more, we check our bags and get them when we get off the ship.  I am not trying to lug 4 suitcases off the ship.  We see it all the time, and all it does is slow down the process. 

• Like 1