Proper dinner attire for the buffet, Alredo's, Ocean Terrace, Vines?

I am sincerely asking, as we've always eaten dinner in the MDR or a specialty restaurant.

It seems that, other than bare feet, beach attire, or pajamas, anything goes in the buffet (World Marketplace)?

and casual is fine in Alfredo's, Ocean Terrace Sushi, or Vines?

Jeans, tennis shoes, t-shirts?     Shorts &  a polo shirt?    all are ok?

Thanks much,

Mary

Edited by Mary loves to travel
typo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

I am sincerely asking, as we've always eaten dinner in the MDR or a specialty restaurant.

It seems that, other than bare feet, beach attire, or pajamas, anything goes in the buffet (World Marketplace)?

Thanks much,

Mary

In a word,  yes. 

Hopefully whatever people choose to wear is at least clean, but other than that,  no issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Thanks much,

Mary

They're also all ok in the MDR. But you already knew that.. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Thanks much,

Mary

And, as far as I know, shorts. I know hubby has worn shorts to the buffet for dinner. 

• Thanks 1

We have decided to eat at the buffet for dinner now for a number of cruises.  We dress the same way would have dressed if going to the MDR and eating out at home.  Common sense is best.   Sometimes we go to the Crown Grill, dress the same there too.  I guess I don't understand why this is such a common question on these boards.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Thanks much,

Mary

It is simple.  The PCL clothing recommendations apply to the MDR's.  Full stop.  The SD's are always Smart Casual.  The rest of the ship is Casual up through whatever.  A swim cover up is expected when going from open decks to Buffet.  (Of course, guys with a typical N.A. swim trunk (not wet) just need a t-shirt).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, smears said:

Speedos and flip flops are acceptable any place, any time on any cruise.

On one of our back-to-back cruises (December) on the Enchanted, wife beaters, ragged shorts and backwards baseball caps seemed to be fine in just about every venue (except the MDRs on formal nights).  On that 10 day cruise, the quality of dress and some passengers was among the worst we have even seen in far more than 100 cruises.  Even Carnival seemed like many steps up from what we saw on that Princess voyage (at times, DW and I had to work hard to keep from laughing out loud).  Speedos and flip flops would have been a big improvement except that most of those guys would not have been able to see their own feet even with speedos :).   What became obvious on that cruise was that Princess no longer enforced any degree of decorum except in the MDR on formal nights (we saw a few turned away at the door).

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

I guess I don't understand why this is such a common question on these boards.  

Because clothing is a topic everyone can understand. Someone posts their favorite ship food and we're all there. Post something arcane and you get crickets. Answer a poster's question about an itinerary that you've been on and answer their need, you feel good about yourself. Point is, it's all about entertainment and some people enjoy being disputatious about what to wear. Though I'm sure someone will argue with me about that last bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks much for your replies.    As someone mentioned, yes, we've cruised a lot, been on the boards a lot, and I've posted a fair amount.   But, as I said, we've only eaten breakfast and the occasional lunch in the buffet -- we really enjoy the MDR.   We've *never* done the buffet for dinner.    It seems easy enough, but .... sometimes reality is different.

We've got a couple of stacked cruises coming up, due to cancelled cruises rolling forward.   This takes us from north of the arctic circle in Norway, then a quick flight (we hope!) south to the med, with a few nights in Rome in between.   It's currently blistering hot in much of the med.

We're at the "little bit crazy trying to figure out exactly what to pack" stage.  🤪

Your replies helped me realize I'm overthinking this - and provided some laughs, too.

thanks, and Cruise On!    🙂  

Mary

• Like 4

4 hours ago, smears said:

Ok fine, I'll wear closed-toe shoes.

I generally don't care or notice much what others wear. However, I draw the line at the people I see barefoot (!) walking in the buffet! Even if you are just walking through, you really need some kind of foot apparel----and open toes are fine.....just SOMETHING!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kansas Gal said:

Well it's about time!  The previous dress post is clear down to the bottom of page 2!  Have to admit it's a sneaky way to start another one.

Nailed it!

Cheers

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Thanks much,

Mary

I've never seen Princess specify a dress code for those places so I guess anything is appropriate within reason. 

Edited by MissP22
  • Thanks 1

It seems that, other than bare feet, beach attire, or pajamas, anything goes in the buffet (World Marketplace)? and casual is fine in Alfredo's, Ocean Terrace Sushi, or Vines? Jeans, tennis shoes, t-shirts? Shorts &  a polo shirt?  all are ok?

I'd say yes to all the above. Personally I only wear a t-shirt for the pool or gym and I'd put on a polo to eat dinner anyplace, even when I have shorts on, but that is me. You will certainly see others in tees.

PS that "eat dinner anyplace" means a sit down place. If I go to the take-out grill for a hamburger/sausage or the pizza by the slice place, I might not only be in a t-shirt, but swim trunks as well.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

we really enjoy the MDR.   We've *never* done the buffet for dinner.    It seems easy enough, but .... sometimes reality is different.

We are the opposite. We almost never do the MDR and either do the buffet (my preference) or a Specialty Dining. I like the buffet because you can go whenever you want, get whatever food you want when you want it and get more of the food you liked if you so choose.

• Like 1