When did the gratituites increase?

27 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The service fee for an up coming 21 day cruise for 2 is $860.00 CAD , doesnt appear so trivial amount 

They should just pay the staff a living wage to start with 

People can tip if they want to

What was it before the increase?  That's what is under discussion.  In USD, it will be $63 more than before. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Out of curiosity. 

If they added the $860 to the published cruise fare would that be any different as to whether you cruise or not?

No, but it would make it easier to compare cruise pricing 

In Canada , taxes and port fees have to be included in the price , again making it easier to compare pricing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StolidCruiser said:

Please substantiate your statement of fact regarding the salary construct of employee contracts do not consider the daily gratuity/ service charge arrangement subscribed to most every mainstream cruise line.

(I know your facts to be wrong and look forward to you re-educating me on what I know to be accurate.)

the UN ILO regulates sea farers salaries from any nation who work 70 hours per week.  The minimum is sat at $1200 per month.  By international convention, this salary CAN NOT be tied to any gratuity or DSC; it is a flat, guaranteed rate.

Cruise line employment contracts do NOT guarantee gratuities, only the UN ILO undated salary.

No one should budget on anything more than what is in your contract (which by the way is a very nice amount given the economic areas where the wages will be spent)

I am not "anti tip". I am pro facts, and anti disinformation regarding the process.  I tip those I feel deserve it.  I see no need to concern myself with the dishwasher, or the laundry staff, the services they perform are the ABSOLUTE minimum that one should expect from their cruise fare.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I am sorry it doesn't give the name of the guy in the laundry or the person who washes your actual plates. You claimed Royal doesn't declare the amount that is shared - clearly they do. 

Sorry your not happy.

I am perfectly happy, I tip my way.

Sorry you aren't happy about me debunking your incorrect information.

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

No, but it would make it easier to compare cruise pricing 

In Canada , taxes and port fees have to be included in the price , again making it easier to compare pricing 

I have been shopping at stores that have been advertising "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS" sales for 20 years.

Business is business and "Caveat Emptor" should always be our guide.

fine.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Your fact 3 is definitely wrong. As others have posted and I stated. Royal does publish a breakdown. You can collect the breakdown in printed form from Guest Relations.

But to clarify out of 💲14.50

💲3.55 cabin steward.

💲6.25 dining room

💲4.70 other hotel services.

Royal also confirm no fees or deductions are made.

Auto Grats are not hidden.

If you don't agree you should perhaps consider a cruise line that doesn't impose them - which of course doesn't exist as the most expensive lines Silversea, Regent etc simply add them to the cost.

By not paying you do reduce the amount crew receive because their "pay" is made up of contracted "salary" and "tips". The people that suffer are the ones at the bottom of the pile (laundry for example) who have no way of making up the money and you have no way of paying them. 

The only thing that is transparent would be the $3.55 for the cabin steward.  How can you tip an entire dining room?  That’s far from transparent, and other hotel service is a joke.  its a money grab pure and simple, and i dont believe the crew sees any of it directly, and would bet their pay stays exactly the same week to week.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 2:25 PM, CruisingHogFan said:

So you are going to punish the hardworking crew that makes your cruise enjoyable for a change they had nothing to do with??

That is really bad form and I would be embarrassed……

RCI is well aware that they can get away with doing whatever they choose when it comes to this issue as its customers tend to be very sympathetic toward the crew.

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

RCI is well aware that they can get away with doing whatever they choose when it comes to this issue as its customers tend to be very sympathetic toward the crew.

Why single out Royal? All their main competitors have the same system. 

Will the system change? Well Celebrity (and therefore I assume Royal) cruises sold in Australia and New Zealand Celebrity sell their cruises as "no tips required". Basic prices are just increased. Onboard prices are also increased to cover the tips which results in those prices being rounded up.

Much the same as in the UK and Europe where it is illegal to have the port fees and taxes added separately i.e. any cost that must be paid has to included in the basic price, so again the prices are rounded. The total remains basically the same. Also explains why when a European port is missed Celebrity is reluctant (and on our May cruise point blank refused) to refund the port fees.

19 minutes ago, ALKID said:

In the UK the only major cruise line to include the tips (sold as tipping not required) is P and O - owned by Carnival. 

20 minutes ago, ALKID said:

The only thing that is transparent would be the $3.55 for the cabin steward.  How can you tip an entire dining room?  That’s far from transparent, and other hotel service is a joke.  its a money grab pure and simple, and i dont believe the crew sees any of it directly, and would bet their pay stays exactly the same week to week.

Interesting thought but it doesn't match the facts.

Dinning room waiters/assistant waiters. On our 2 b2b in May ( on Celebrity but I believe the system is the same on Royal) we had Any Time Dining. First cruise had 1800 passengers second around 800 ( in fact we had more crew than passengers). We had the same table of 6 for both cruises. On the first cruise our waiter had our table, the table of 8 next to us and a 2. On the second cruise I noticed the table for 8 was not used. I asked the host about it and she said she had to balance the passengers across the room do that each waiter got a fair share of the tips.

Cabin Steward: we had the same cabin but on the second cruise he had less cabins and the cabins were more spread out which made his job a little more difficult. Again this was due to balancing the workload so each steward got the same proportion of the tips.

Dinning room tips: on board you can (well on Celebrity and therefore I assume on Royal) still get the split between the Waiter and Assistant Waiter with the balance split amongst the rest.

21 hours ago, flamingos said:

I'm paying thousands for a week-long cruise; I'm not going to argue over an extra $20 in gratuities. 

Rushing to pre-pay to save yourselves such a small amount is, in my opinion, a bit silly.

I agree. All this concern for $10.50 on a 7 day cruise.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Why single out Royal? All their main competitors have the same system. 

First, because this is the Royal board. Second, because it is the line that I cruise with. Do you have any more questions for me?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Interesting thought but it doesn't match the facts.

Dinning room waiters/assistant waiters. On our 2 b2b in May ( on Celebrity but I believe the system is the same on Royal) we had Any Time Dining. First cruise had 1800 passengers second around 800 ( in fact we had more crew than passengers). We had the same table of 6 for both cruises. On the first cruise our waiter had our table, the table of 8 next to us and a 2. On the second cruise I noticed the table for 8 was not used. I asked the host about it and she said she had to balance the passengers across the room do that each waiter got a fair share of the tips.

Cabin Steward: we had the same cabin but on the second cruise he had less cabins and the cabins were more spread out which made his job a little more difficult. Again this was due to balancing the workload so each steward got the same proportion of the tips.

Dinning room tips: on board you can (well on Celebrity and therefore I assume on Royal) still get the split between the Waiter and Assistant Waiter with the balance split amongst the rest.

Or spreading out the work so they do the same amount of work for the fixed salary they are going to receive, no matter how many tables they wait on.  

7 hours ago, flamingos said:

It is indeed interesting to see how many people are upset about an additional $21 per cabin for a 7 day cruise.  

It's not the amount it's the way it's been done. Really bad to put it on page 11 of a 22 page document 30 days before departure.

Would it have been to hard to send an email?

That's why I won't pay it. Point of principal 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gavvy said:

It's not the amount it's the way it's been done. Really bad to put it on page 11 of a 22 page document 30 days before departure.

I agree that this was not announced in advance like it normally is (and mine was page 9).   But you won't be harming RCI or Mr. Bayley by refusing to pay it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

They would increase price by $1,000 to cover commission and other items.  

Ncl and celebrity add in effect gratuities for 2 per cabin. It's why I would avoid them mostly except for last minute when the drop the extras. 

It's not fair to solos to add gratuities to fares when we already pay double. 

1 minute ago, flamingos said:

I agree that this was not announced in advance like it normally is (and mine was page 9).   But you won't be harming RCI or Mr. Bayley by refusing to pay it.

And not benefitting the crew whatsoever by paying it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gavvy said:

Your principles are weak at best to harm workers when it wasnt them. It's like punching your sister because your brother was mean to you... pick on the weakest. Or maybe you are just cheap and making excuses idk ... but saying you just wouldnt tip because you are mad at a corporation so you hurt the crew ... inexcusable to me. Tip or dont, but dont harm a 3rd party because they didnt do it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Your principles are weak at best to harm workers when it wasnt them. It's like punching your sister because your brother was mean to you... pick on the weakest. Or maybe you are just cheap and making excuses idk ... but saying you just wouldnt tip because you are mad at a corporation so you hurt the crew ... inexcusable to me. Tip or dont, but dont harm a 3rd party because they didnt do it. 

See previous posts of mind. I have already stated I will tip 

Stop making things up

Just now, yogimax said:

Nonsense... what proof do you have?  

And what proof does anyone have either way?

It's all a hidden murky system. They could make it totally transparent if they wanted but choose not too so that makes you wonder why

1 minute ago, flamingos said:

How do you figure that? Did I miss a salary decrease for staff?

I’ve been told the staff gets the same exact amount each week.  Exactly the same.  How can that be if the tips go to the employees?   You mean to say there is the same amount of passengers giving the exact same amount of tips each week?  Absurd.  You are just reimbursing the cruise line for the salary they are obligated to pay anyway.  Shareholders and executives benefit..   That’s about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ALKID said:

I’ve been told the staff gets the same exact amount each week.  Exactly the same.  How can that be if the tips go to the employees?   You mean to say there is the same amount of passengers giving the exact same amount of tips each week?  Absurd.  You are just reimbursing the cruise line for the salary they are obligated to pay anyway.  Shareholders and executives benefit..   That’s about it.

I'd have to see something more conclusive than that.