Taste of Royal

On 7/29/2022 at 1:47 PM, BecciBoo said:

Has anyone done the Taste of Royal luncheon recently.  It's been a few years since we were at that one when they did a special luncheon for Diamond members.  Now anyone can purchase it.  But I wonder if it's really worth it these days....comments?

I booked the Taste of Royal luncheon on line for my last three cruises, and it was cancelled each time.

19 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

It's $19.99 to be precise.  If you have the drink package you get 25% off the wine pairing. They are just 3 ounce pours with a 3 ounce port with the dessert.  Would be hard to get tipsy on that. 

So you get three glasses of wine and a port?

How big are their regular wine pours?

Edited by c-leg5

On 7/29/2022 at 3:15 PM, aring75 said:

We did it in May on Mariner. I enjoyed it for the most part. I liked that you could choose to add the wine pairing (or not). I enjoy wine, but my husband doesn’t. The Chef’s Dinner always seems like it would be totally wasted on him. The wine selections for the Taste of Royal lunch were quite decent. 

This is my review if you want to see pictures of the food and descriptions of the Mariner wine pairing. 

Thank you! Going on Mariner in two weeks so this was perfect!

On 7/29/2022 at 3:56 PM, livingonthebeach said:

Great! You'll love it -- it was a great culinary and table mate experience for me as I'm sure it will be for you. Enjoy!!

"Table mate"?  Does that mean we will be seated with others? If so, can we request our own table?

31 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

Did they say why it was canceled?

Probably the same as Chef's Table being cancelled occasionally.   IMHO...not enough minimum sign ups.  But just a guess.  Will try to book it on Harmony next week...supposed to be last day (sea day).  

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

Probably the same as Chef's Table being cancelled occasionally.   IMHO...not enough minimum sign ups.  But just a guess.  Will try to book it on Harmony next week...supposed to be last day (sea day).  

We're already booked for it next week. Yes, it's on Saturday at 11:30.

Edited by ramja96
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, livingonthebeach said:

It's $19.99 to be precise.  If you have the drink package you get 25% off the wine pairing. They are just 3 ounce pours with a 3 ounce port with the dessert.  Would be hard to get tipsy on that. 

I'm a punk then, cause i got knocked out during this.  I distinctly remember the glasses of wine as full glasses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/10/2022 at 1:15 AM, Cherries Jubilee said:

I have done Taste of Royal twice recently. I did it on Oasis in May and then again on Symphony in July. The menu is exactly what is in this thread. I found the risotto underwhelming both times but everything else was wonderful!

It’s worth the price for me just because you get the steak and the shrimp from Chops.

I should warn you that it’s a slow lunch. I didn’t have the option to pick the day. It was the last sea day for both cruises.

274FAC49-ACF0-4AD5-9F99-FF09A23AB03A.jpeg

5C44E05D-CC05-40C4-8C35-AF9736D1EBFE.jpeg

8A6B057B-60E8-44A9-B2EC-6593E155901F.jpeg

448194C9-5F4F-4A46-BF4F-3EC593664B60.jpeg

6D4A95D9-844B-4049-9C19-0D274F0A6F64.jpeg

75B5715E-A440-4BDC-B323-9879FDC3628B.jpeg

These were my pictures too in March on Enchantment.  And I too also took a picture of the St. Peter Spritzer, which i found vile.  But my wife liked it.

5 hours ago, ramja96 said:

"Table mate"?  Does that mean we will be seated with others? If so, can we request our own table?

Yes - like Chef's Table, it is intended to be a social as well as culinary event.  I suppose you can ask for your own table if you would rather not talk to strangers but I've never had bad company at either a Taste of Royal or Chef's Table. 

2 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

I'm a punk then, cause i got knocked out during this.  I distinctly remember the glasses of wine as full glasses.

Maybe you got lucky and received generous pours but as stated in the description they are suppose to be three ounce pours. 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes - like Chef's Table, it is intended to be a social as well as culinary event.  I suppose you can ask for your own table if you would rather not talk to strangers but I've never had bad company at either a Taste of Royal or Chef's Table. 

That’s strange!

We haven’t done it yet because I keep seeing it offered on the last sailing day and I would prefer to try it earlier in the cruise but I have been searching reviews. The blog and you tube review I saw both happened in Wonderland at individual tables. Perhaps it varies from ship to ship?

29 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

That’s strange!

We haven’t done it yet because I keep seeing it offered on the last sailing day and I would prefer to try it earlier in the cruise but I have been searching reviews. The blog and you tube review I saw both happened in Wonderland at individual tables. Perhaps it varies from ship to ship?

My last one was on Freedom in Chops and it was a wonderful experience -  food and wine as well as table companions were delightful!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

When i did it on Enchantment last March, we had our own table.  The entire restaurant was set for Taste of Royal.  In fact, we went at our own pace as other tables were either farther along, or earlier depending on when their reservation was.

On the other hand, I did the Izumi Saki and Sushi Lunch on Brilliance in December.  Here we were sat at our own table.  Like Taste of Royal, the restaurant was set for the Saki and Sushi lunch, but here, everyone came in at the same time, and went at the same pace.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

When i did it on Enchantment last March, we had our own table.  The entire restaurant was set for Taste of Royal.  In fact, we went at our own pace as other tables were either farther along, or earlier depending on when their reservation was.

On the other hand, I did the Izumi Saki and Sushi Lunch on Brilliance in December.  Here we were sat at our own table.  Like Taste of Royal, the restaurant was set for the Saki and Sushi lunch, but here, everyone came in at the same time, and went at the same pace.

I guess each ship is different. On Freedom we only had 6 participants so it was easy to seat us all together and serve us all at the same time - this helps out the wait staff. They did ask for our seating preference though, so if you prefer your own table they will accommodate you. 

The Sushi and Sake lunch sounds appetizing - I've been eyeing that for my future cruises. How was your experience? Do you recommend it?

53 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I guess each ship is different. On Freedom we only had 6 participants so it was easy to seat us all together and serve us all at the same time - this helps out the wait staff. They did ask for our seating preference though, so if you prefer your own table they will accommodate you. 

The Sushi and Sake lunch sounds appetizing - I've been eyeing that for my future cruises. How was your experience? Do you recommend it?

I have a couple issues with it and pricewise, its a little high for what you get.  But what I got was quite good.  There's a Sake drink called "She's a Geisha" which is absolutely amazing.  I'm not much of a drinker and yeah, this lunch got me too.  These drinks were smaller, but they pack a bigger punch due to it being Saki. Its on my live thread from last December, post 101, if you're interested in the pictures and menu of what I got.  Overall, if you don't mind the expense, I would recommend it.  When i did this, I sailed solo without my wife.  I think we will probably do this when on Adventure in a couple weeks.

Edited by Rogueperson

11 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

I have a couple issues with it and pricewise, its a little high for what you get.  But what I got was quite good.  There's a Sake drink called "She's a Geisha" which is absolutely amazing.  I'm not much of a drinker and yeah, this lunch got me too.  These drinks were smaller, but they pack a bigger punch due to it being Saki. Its on my live thread from last December, post 101, if you're interested in the pictures and menu of what I got.  Overall, if you don't mind the expense, I would recommend it.  When i did this, I sailed solo without my wife.  I think we will probably do this when on Adventure in a couple weeks.

Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely try this. 

16 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

My last one was on Freedom in Chops and it was a wonderful experience -  food and wine as well as table companions were delightful!

As long as the first words out of their mouth isn't about C&A status, I'll be okay.  Otherwise, someone is getting slapped! 

9 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

As long as the first words out of their mouth isn't about C&A status, I'll be okay.  Otherwise, someone is getting slapped! 

I usually get the "how many cruises have you been on"?    And I always reply "No idea".  Which is true, since I have lost count.  😉 

• Haha 2

Just booked Taste of Royal for Harmony next week.  Will be interesting.  

Could be a "one and done"....or could be a new venue for future cruises.  Have not been impressed with the last few Chef's Table experiences...hopefully this is better...maybe?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Just booked Taste of Royal for Harmony next week.  Will be interesting.  

Could be a "one and done"....or could be a new venue for future cruises.  Have not been impressed with the last few Chef's Table experiences...hopefully this is better...maybe?  

See you there!  I figured it's a no-lose situation for us. We used stateroom credit to pay for it. 😂

• Like 1