Looking for feedback about Athens tours - first time in the city

zitsky

I'm specifically looking for feedback about the tours that Celebrity arranges in Athens.  Most (all) seem to be bus tours because of the size of the city.  Some I'm not sure about because they don't say "walking or driving".  I know I can look at Viator and Tripadvisor.  I'm just wondering if anyone has done a tour in Athens that they especially liked?  It will be our first time in the city.  I compare the tours I see for Athens with the ones for Istanbul which look really interesting, compared to the ones for Athens.  Here's one in particular that I'm thinking about.  Should I just email Celebrity?

Athens & Cape Sounion with Lunch

Embark on a scenic journey past Athens’s iconic landmarks, including the Parthenon, the Panathenaic Stadium, and the legendary Acropolis, followed by a Greek lunch, and a visit to Cape Sounion where you’ll enjoy incredible views of the Temple of Poseidon.

I realize you asked for info on tours booked through Celebrity, and this is not - it was an exceptional private tour.  We (about 10 of us from our roll call) booked a wonderful tour through PK Travel.   We started with a wonderfully paced visit to the Acropolis; since we were a small group in a mini-bus, we beat the large buses there.  Our guide, Michael, led us up to the Acropolis at a leisurely pace with brief stops to provide more information.  We spent about 2 - 2.5 hours there.  We also visited the Temple of Zeus, the “modern” Olympic Stadium, and had a leisurely stop at the Plaka to wander, shop and have lunch - all independently.  We concluded the day with a hour + at the Archeological Museumwhere Michael took us to some specific exhibits.  Transportation was timely and smooth and all admission costs were included.

Not a Celebrity tour, but there have always been lots of taxis at the port who will provide a private tour. We did Acropolis, Parliament changing of the guard, original Olympic Stadium, Temple of Zeus, fairly authentic meal and Plaka. There were 4 of us in the car and we were more than happy with the price. 

We used drivers from Welcome Pickups for port-hotel and hotel-airport transfers last summer while we were in Athens, and discovered they do pre-arranged tours to explore an area.  You might get that app and check it out.

Celebrity's excursion details are often very lacking....

I know this tour and I'd advise that it is a fair amount of walking (both to the Acropolis and also a fair uphill climb to reach the Temple at Sounion. 

Also there is about a 90 minute drive (if memory serves) to Cape Sounion, so a fairly long bus ride.

For someone's first visit to Athens, I'd advise finding a tour that stays in Athens in order to maximize the opportunity to see some of the world-class sights there. 

• Like 1

Another vote for PK Travel, we did a land trip of Greece in May and did private tours to Delphi and the Acropolis with them, also airport transfers. Potoula was extremely efficient at setting everything up, her guides  were top class, especially Delphi. All at a very reasonable rate rice. I highly recommend PK Travels, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed. 

https://www.pktravelgreece.com/

pktravel_greece@hotmail.com

Edited by prish
  • Like 1

Zitsky, you are about to visit one of the most beautiful and amazing cities on the planet. We spent two weeks in the city and still came back not having done everything on the list.

You specifically mentioned ship tours so I will stay with your brief. I do suggest you go for a ‘glimpse of it all tour’ with an add on. The one you mentioned is typical…you will get a taster (drive past) the main sights with photo stops and then a ‘something else’. The tour you mentioned is typical. Cape Sounion is beautiful…so don’t write off this option. Also if you are there in the Summer there is a breeze!

Some years ago we did a ship tour labelled something like ‘Highlights with time on your own in Plaka’. This again is a great option. You had a glimpse of the obvious sites and then had time in my favourite area of Athens. Whilst Plaka initially looks like a typical tourist area just meander upwards and you will be in a maze of little roads with bars, pussy cats, tumbling buildings and a sleepy atmosphere hard to describe….then you will hit something a bit more touristy and repeat. It gives you a chance to sit with a drink and Greek salad and soak up the sights, sounds and smells of this amazing city. I can guarantee you will remember this part of the tour more than the official ‘highlights’ bit. 

Never done it but I am aware many ships do offer an ‘Athens on your own’ tour. You are simply paying for a drop off (usually near the parliament building with the silly walking guards) and pick up later. Whilst in one way you could see this as paying a lot of money for little it does offer security. I haven’t seen much on the present political situation in Athens recently but it a city renowned for last minute industrial action which can hit both buses and taxis. Obviously, you would then need to prioritise what you wanted to do. You could simply decide to spend time in the museum (fantastic) and have a meal…

Loads of great suggestions from others re private tours…Seriously, it is such a wonderful city you will love whatever you do….Final point ‘Mad dogs and English men….’ The midday sun really is melting and the city is hot and the air can be polluted so look for an early tour for ‘highlights’ and pace yourself…