Covid Test being dropped?

gerry1.10

The point of the new policy that I find most interesting, just as a discussion point and nothing more, is this:  

Requiring testing for unvaccinated guests on all sailings, and for vaccinated guests on sailings that are six nights or longer.

Maintaining a high percentage of fully vaccinated guests onboard all our sailings, far above the general population.

SO, unvaccinated guests are going to be allowed and the point about maintaining a high percentage of fully vaccinated guests.......far above the general population?  How exactly is that going to be policed?  This sentence seems to be a bit of flash - as most all of the people who cruise are already vaxxed, as until this new policy was published, people who weren't vaxxed weren't cruising.....anyway, the sentence seems to be designed to attract the unvaccinated but at the same time, is worded to appease the vaccinated who are concerned about those that are not.  

Just an interesting point, IMHO.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Exactly.  Referencing the nights is always (the only) accurate way to count the length of a cruise.  And, as you know, is how Celebrity has posted their policy - testing required if cruise is 6 NIGHTS or longer - which pretty much means nearly all of X's cruises (more or less), testing still required.  

But the 5 night is good?

We booked it figuring if we got sick we could  get off at the end and drive..no extended quarantine involved???

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

But the 5 night is good?

We booked it figuring if we got sick we could  get off at the end and drive..no extended quarantine involved???

Yes, if cruise is only 5 NIGHTS, then you don't have to test.

14 hours ago, jg51 said:

If you fail the test, there are two possibilities:

(1) you may be required to disembark and go home;

(2) you may be confined to your stateroom [or a different stateroom] for a period of quarantine and re-testing.

If #1 is the case and "go home" means flying, it seems awfully unfair to the people seated on the airplane next to the person who failed the test. That person would be contagious with COVID-19 and really should be quarantined, not put on an airplane.

43 minutes ago, actuarian said:

If #1 is the case and "go home" means flying, it seems awfully unfair to the people seated on the airplane next to the person who failed the test. That person would be contagious with COVID-19 and really should be quarantined, not put on an airplane.

We agree, "actuarian."  In fact, when we are "back-to-back-to-back" (in the near future), we will WANT to be quarantined -- rather than sent home -- if we test "positive" at the end of either the first or second cruise!  It would be better for both us and the other airline-passengers if this were to happen. 

The problem is that we believe that we have read, on this board/forum, that Celebrity requires infected guests that are returning to the U.S. to leave the ship -- and that only guests that are returning to a non-U.S. port are allowed (or even required!?) to remain on board for the subsequent cruise.  One married couple, who experienced symptoms and tested positive (early in their European cruise), recently reported here that they were required to remain on the ship even though they were not booked on back-to-back cruises!!!

We hope (1) that on-board testing has now been eliminated or (2) that those who test positive can remain aboard, even if the ship is returning to the U.S..

Time will tell.

Edited by jg51

25 minutes ago, jg51 said:

We agree, "actuarian."  In fact, when we are "back-to-back-to-back" (in the near future), we will WANT to be quarantined -- rather than sent home -- if we test "positive" at the end of either the first or second cruise!  It would be better for both us and the other airline-passengers if this were to happen. 

The problem is that we believe that we have read, on this board/forum, that Celebrity requires infected guests that are returning to the U.S. to leave the ship -- and that only guests that are returning to a non-U.S. port are allowed (or even required!?) to remain on board for the subsequent cruise.  One married couple, who experienced symptoms and tested positive (early in their European cruise), recently reported here that they were required to remain on the ship even though they were not booked on back-to-back cruises!!!

We hope (1) that on-board testing has now been eliminated or (2) that those who test positive can remain aboard, even if the ship is returning to the U.S..

Time will tell.

Being on a b2b/TA is a little stressful , as it embarks in Italy and returns to FLL, after 26 days.

Edited by Lastdance

40 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Being on a b2b/TA is a little stressful , as it embarks in Italy and returns to FLL, after 26 days.

The longer you are on a ship the greater the likely hood of getting Covid.  Our last cruise was 7 days and DH tested positive on day 9.  We have a TA booked with 5 days pre cruise and hope we don’t test positive until we get home.  

• Like 1

While I'm not booked on a 5 night cruise,  I talked with Corporate about B2B testing on our upcoming B2B2B to Greenland.    Was advised there would be B2B testing the morning before turn around day.    They say they expect it to continue for the remainder of the 2022 season.

I'm sure things could change but I'm not holding my breath and will probably pre-test using some free kits (free to me)  the night before.  

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

The longer you are on a ship the greater the likely hood of getting Covid.  Our last cruise was 7 days and DH tested positive on day 9.  We have a TA booked with 5 days pre cruise and hope we don’t test positive until we get home.  

Hope you stay negative.   We've not been as lucky but not letting that slow us down.  

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

While I'm not booked on a 5 night cruise,  I talked with Corporate about B2B testing on our upcoming B2B2B to Greenland.    Was advised there would be B2B testing the morning before turn around day.    They say they expect it to continue for the remainder of the 2022 season.

I'm sure things could change but I'm not holding my breath and will probably pre-test using some free kits (free to me)  the night before.  

Jim, did they mean B2B testing or all pre cruise testing for longer trips?

I would hate to test positive on cruise number 2/TA and have to get off the boat in Italy because the TA is going to FLL from Civi.  However, I do have insurance for that if I am kicked off in October!   Neither myself or my DH have had Covid, but do have all boosters etc, while planning to get the September vaccine dose for Omicron's latest variants. No one knows what the future holds, but taking precautions, IMHO, is the only thing that makes sense.  

Edited by Lastdance

24 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Jim, did they mean B2B testing or all pre cruise testing for longer trips?

Mine is a B2B2B but at the end of each consecutive cruise we will have to be tested.   We will have to have 2 B2B tests for the 3 cruises plus a pre-test

That has pretty much been the standard for shorter B2B's also.    

Edited by Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Mine is a B2B2B but at the end of each consecutive cruise we will have to be tested.   We will have to have 2 B2B tests for the 3 cruises plus a pre-test

That has pretty much been the standard for shorter B2B's also.    

Yes, I guess I meant was your source at corporate talking about continuing testing between legs of a B2B through 2022 or continuing ALL pre cruise testing throigh 2022? Maybe you can’t be more specific…

As much as I want precruise testing to stop, it doesn’t make much sense to me stop until the crew situation has stabilized. All it costs the cruiseline is testing for a handful of children p, FCCs for the positives and some unknown number of lost bookings.