Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

COVID cases.    The count is approx 44 as of earlier today. 

Masks.   Suppose to be mandatory but when I came down to retreat for drinks I saw at least a half dozen without.    Some were holding sweater over nose and mouth. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

COVID cases.    The count is approx 44 as of earlier today. 

Masks.   Suppose to be mandatory but when I came down to retreat for drinks I saw at least a half dozen without.    Some were holding sweater over nose and mouth. 

Sweaters. 
Is it still crazy cold onboard? 

On 8/16/2022 at 2:02 PM, JaneRetired said:

@GeorgiaPeach51 I read Carlos Ruiz Zafón "The Shadow of the Wind" on TA Miami to Barcelona (Seven Seas Splendor) April 2022, set in Barcelona, with a walking tour at the end of the book. Cemetery of Forgotten Books 4 Book series. A great cruise read for 4 of us!!

On a TA from Barcelona our discussion group for “The Shadow of the Wind” was led by a literature professor from a well-known German university.  I was actually scared to attend at first but the meetings turned out to be no-pressure fun. She was a wonderful teacher.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Amen! Unfortunately, it still isn’t this way in many places. 

Regarding the earlier discussion of same-sex marriage, it wasn’t legal when I (cis-het female) married my cis-het male husband in 1991.

Then it was.

Then it wasn’t. 
Then it was again, and has remained so. 

ALL throughout the back and forth, I kept hearing how legal same-sex marriage would DESTROY traditional marriage (with a very narrow definition of what that means, but that’s another discussion). 

Yet, somehow, there has been absolutely no effect on my marriage by yours or anyone else’s. 

It’s almost as if y’all just wanted to live your lives, have basic human rights, and weren’t out to destroy anything after all. 🤔 

Foy Zimmerman did a song on gay marriage and one on a marriage just like in the Bible.  Both are very good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Amen! Unfortunately, it still isn’t this way in many places. 

ALL throughout the back and forth, I kept hearing how legal same-sex marriage would DESTROY traditional marriage (with a very narrow definition of what that means, but that’s another discussion). 

Yet, somehow, there has been absolutely no effect on my marriage by yours or anyone else’s. 

I remember once I was watching a Nightline about gay marriage, and I said to my husband I don't see how anyone's gay marriage would even affect anyone's straight marriage.

My husband said "well, it's affecting ours".  I was shocked and said "how?"

He then said "I'm trying to go to sleep, and you're watching a show on gay marriage".  

Ha ha.

• Haha 11

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Our last stop was a scenic lookout over town. 

C9C12223-8B42-4150-B449-76748BD17CBF.thumb.jpeg.7af8267e6a9a18ee80e3cd716be2fc26.jpeg

gorgeous photo and again may I say would make a nice photo for a WALL.  If'n ya had the room.

BTW that photo a couple pages back with Kale just looked like an oily mess.  How did it taste?

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I got hooked on Audio Books --- mostly so I had something to do when I walk.   I've gotten so many good suggestions here that I think it will take me a year to listen and the list keeps growing.

Whether you read or listen a guest here pointed me to Hoopla and have been saving a fortune by checking out of one of  my Libraries.  

yes I too love audiobooks which is why I wish the newer cars would still have CD players for goodness sakes.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

Iceland had the first openly gay Prime Minister. Jóhanna Sigurdardóttir,  the first openly LGBT person to head a national government

and as a straight conservative person I am pleased as it shows people can still work and perform for the public in spite of their choice in the privacy of their home. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Oceansaway17 said:

and as a straight conservative person I am pleased as it shows people can still work and perform for the public in spite of their choice in the privacy of their home. 

Are you serious? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Every time I see a pride flag it puts a smile on my face.   Believe me it wasn't always this way. 

yes. There is a book on Amazon about Gays around the world by Richard Ammon.  He did a lot of interviewing in Thailand so check it out.

He is a relative of mine through marriage.

30 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

I wonder who the CD will be when Rich leaves.

Does anyone know if Alejandro is still a CD with X?
I think years ago he used to be on Summit. 

Alejandro is CD on Beyond at present.

Jim, thank you for an amazing report as always!

Wendy

• Thanks 1

I have just caught up, I think, with this wonderful thread and made all the additions to the book list.  If you see someone suggest a book and not tag me please do as Dani did and give me a heads up so I don’t miss it.  

@Jim_Iain Jim, good thought that if I posted it as a thread of its own the moderator might take it down or move it.  Puzzled as to what is the best thing to do.

@TeeRick  Absolutely no apologies needed!  I totally understood your viewpoint in your post and was not offended in the least!  Glad for you to join in all the book lovers out there.  One of the worst feelings in the world for those of us who love to read is to come to the end of the very last book in a wonderful series and have no idea what to read next.....hence, the list!  

I’ll share it again in a few days.

Joanie

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I have just caught up, I think, with this wonderful thread and made all the additions to the book list.  If you see someone suggest a book and not tag me please do as Dani did and give me a heads up so I don’t miss it.  

@Jim_Iain Jim, good thought that if I posted it as a thread of its own the moderator might take it down or move it.  Puzzled as to what is the best thing to do.

@TeeRick  Absolutely no apologies needed!  I totally understood your viewpoint in your post and was not offended in the least!  Glad for you to join in all the book lovers out there.  One of the worst feelings in the world for those of us who love to read is to come to the end of the very last book in a wonderful series and have no idea what to read next.....hence, the list!  

I’ll share it again in a few days.

Joanie

Nothing quite as sad as when I started a series by Charlotte MacLeod (second one of her's I've read) and finding out that there are 12 books, and she died about 17 years ago, so no more books.

Another series I just started by Sue Henry - about a detective in Alaska.  It's a series, with the last book ending with a cliffhanger (or so I've heard).  Author died in 2020, so that's how it ends.  

6 hours ago, bunzini said:

He is my all time favorite CD, and yes with Celebrity!

He’s awesome! I’ve sailed with him on three continents, and I haven’t sailed nearly as much as most of the regular posters here. 

The combination of Captain Leo and “🍵Alehandsome” is super fun! 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Foy Zimmerman did a song on gay marriage and one on a marriage just like in the Bible.  Both are very good. 

You may want to look for a Betty Bowers video about Biblical Marriage. It’s really good. I won’t post a link because someone will likely get their knickers in a wad, and I don’t want to run the risk of endangering the thread. 

I’ll look for the Foy Zimmerman song. Thanks for the heads up.