The official reason for the lack of turndown service.

MX-Drew

52 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Just out of interest those who have posted that the stewards are not on cleaning duties, any ideas what they are doing instead.

Saw ours on the stair wells as a pair cleaning and sanitizing the handrails etc,  that's another area where we keep our hands to ourselves, but good on them for trying to keep things  hygienic 👍

24 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

One could argue if P&O customers (myself included) had any intelligence, they wouldn't sail with them.

Hence why I'm not booking any more P&O cruises, Princess or Celebrity for us from now on.

• Like 1

On our March Iona trip our steward was in the dining room in the evening showing guests to tables. Also while we were eating one night suddenly about 4 people (possibly cabin stewards) came and got the already used table next to us ready for the next guests. This did include wiping down the table and chairs. So I do not think P&O are lying. We preferred not having the night time turn down service.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Hence why I'm not booking any more P&O cruises, Princess or Celebrity for us from now on.

I wonder what steps the other cruise lines take to ensure they don't allow any passengers with insatinary habits to book with them?

4 minutes ago, smokey01 said:

On our March Iona trip our steward was in the dining room in the evening showing guests to tables. Also while we were eating one night suddenly about 4 people (possibly cabin stewards) came and got the already used table next to us ready for the next guests. This did include wiping down the table and chairs. So I do not think P&O are lying. We preferred not having the night time turn down service.

I'm not saying you didn't see that but on both our cruises on Iona in February and Azura in May we saw no such thing, indeed we saw guests (including ourselves) being shown to a table just as it had been cleared but no clean cutlery etc had been laid. 

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I wonder what steps the other cruise lines take to ensure they don't allow any passengers with insatinary habits to book with them?

Only the clean ones book other cruiselines

5 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Marella still leave chocolates!

But sadly on my one Marella cruise, often he didn't leave tea/coffee supplies or the daily programme sheet... Not great at bed-making either...

I must admit that I like an evening turn-down service. Nice to have the bathroom freshened up. I also like to come back and find a light on and the bed turned down. Just a little touch of finesse/luxury that is now sadly lacking elsewhere on P&O.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Britboys said:

But sadly on my one Marella cruise, often he didn't leave tea/coffee supplies or the daily programme sheet... Not great at bed-making either...

I’ve not had that problem to be honest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I’ve not had that problem to be honest.

I'm sure that isn't the usual level of service from Marella Cabin Attendants. Only cruise I've been on where I only saw the Cabin Attendant once the entire cruise...

Don't need turndown service, so I won't miss it if it is taken away. Don't have it in most hotels I stay at, so don't like it on a ship either. When I get ready to go out of an evening, the room/cabin looks a bit untidy. Anticipating an "evening visitor" makes me tidy up and put things away, etc. Far too stressful, just for someone to fold my duvet in a funny fashion, and leave me a chocolate (which I don't eat). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

We occasionally make an early morning cup of tea, or DW makes the  tea while I go on a foraging trip to the buffet for breakast goodies, but I agree, other than that we do not normally bother either. 

Can't do without my tea making facility.  Horrified on boarding Celebrity Edge none was there.  Asked my cabin steward if I there was any chance I could have a kettle and lo and behold in 10 minutes a brand new boxed one complete with a tray, two mugs and a variety of teabags was delivered. Every day, morning and night, my teabags were replenished and a jug of skimmed milk was put in my fridge. Sadly no biscuits but rectified by a morning/evening trip to El Bacio for yummy cookies.

Normally on P&O I raid the buffet every day for extra teabags and a glass of skimmed milk - can't stand the little plastic pots.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

I'm not so sure! I had to ask for a sandwich to be removed from display on Regal Princess after a lady lifted its lid and tasted the insides with her finger! She was blatant and just shrugged her shoulders when I suggested she now remove the sandwich.

57 minutes ago, Britboys said:

We had great service from our cabin steward on our Marella cruise

• Like 1

The staff work extremely hard so i have no issues with them not turning down my bed in the evening. I have often seen them waiting around for people to leave their rooms and do feel for them. Far more other service items i want to enjoy on my cruise rather then worrying about haveing my bed turned down and a chocolate on my pillow.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

The staff work extremely hard so i have no issues with them not turning down my bed in the evening. I have often seen them waiting around for people to leave their rooms and do feel for them. Far more other service items i want to enjoy on my cruise rather then worrying about haveing my bed turned down and a chocolate on my pillow.

Not disagreeing with you but over the years P&O have - like many mainstream lines - cut the numbers of cabin attendants so they all have more cabins to service. All cost-driven of course raising expectations of getting a 'cheap deal'.

6 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Got into trouble over that on here a few years ago. I have suffered the dreaded noro several times on P&O but never on Marella with a similar number of cruises. Can't work out why 😉

I was having a last G&T in a Marella bar and it was 2am, very important because that is when the 'free' booze ends until 10am. And all the bar staff went into cleaning mode, everything including chair and table legs etc. The barman told me that it was an inspection next morning and if they failed they would have to do another deep clean the following night, with the added incentive that if one venue failed ALL venues would have to do another clean the following night 😱

We were in the Caribbean and to make it worse he said the company health expert was flying into Barbados the next week and she had an even bigger obsession with cleanliness. I pity the staff.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, tring said:

Fred have continued with a turn down service throughout and we even had one on a recent cruise with Ambassador (not that we will be returning to the latter, for other reasons)  Only got chocs on Fred which we do like to take home and dip into from time to time.  For us it is about changing any towels we have left on the floor though and dry off the shower.  Finding a light or two left on on the cabin has always niggled us as we do not see the need for the waste of power since we are perfectly capable of flicking a light switch as we enter the cabin.

I had seen some mention of P&O only making the beds once every three days when the linen is changed, though does sound strange.  Is there any truth in this, or is the morning cabin service as you would expect pre covid?  We have not been on P&O since the pandemic, though have a few over next winter, starting late Sept.

You pays your money and takes your choice as they say.

Two seven-night Fjord cruises leaving Southampton on 13th/14th of this Month. P&O at £1,049 per person in a balcony cabin... FOCLs at £2,699 in a comparable balcony cabin. The difference for two people sharing is £3,300.

At that price, we can take our own chocolates and still be thousands of pounds better off!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

You pays your money and takes your choice as they say.

This is the problem to my mind. If you pay your money when things such as the turndown service are standard you have every right to expect them when you take your holiday. 

• Like 6