The official reason for the lack of turndown service.

MX-Drew

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Recommend The Swan at Lavenham, Suffolk. Great evening service even in covid.  Also Stratton House, Bude and Carlyon Bay Hotel, St Austell.

I tend to use boutique type hotels when travelling alone and have found it quite common practice.  Street Barton House in Strete was the one who left the local sweets. 

Next week I'm staying in The Jockey Club rooms for two nights.  Obviously slightly different as it's a club, but turndown is always offered if required.  Mind you I'm slumming it in a Premier Inn near Audley End for the following two nights.

Prior to lockdown quite a few of the central London hotels we use offered it too. We are booked in The Reubens at ThecPalace in September and they send a requirements list on booking.  We have requested turndown.  

I must confess to actively seeking hotels who offer these services - I also love shoeshine as well!

We have "slummed it " in a number of premier inns and as long as the room is clean (which up to now they have been) its just somewhere to sleep and shower ,the rest we can do without, however fully appreciate that everyone is different   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JDB78 said:

Must admit I was a little surprised our towels weren't replaced in the evening, but it was a kind of shrug your shoulders type moment - oh well there are still some clean ones there to use and know full well they will be getting replaced in the morning.

In the evening, we would be out of room by half 6 and not return until somewhere between 11-12 and straight to bed. Up in the morning, breakfast and by then the room would probably have been made up. So the towels being replaced would have a very minimal if any practical benefit.

The turndown service to me - absolutely not bothered. Surely just a superficial gesture to somehow make people feel important? If the staff's time can be better spent doing other tasks then isnt that a good thing? It's not as if P&O are now having the stewards just sat around not doing anything when they would normally be going back into the rooms is it?

Thinking of things practically - Are people saying A) The staff should work even more hours? B) Have more staff onboard than they had previously due to the extra tasks or C) Not do the additional tasks? Surely A + B would not be possible. Leaving C - people really want to prioritise towel changing and a turndown service over P&O doing everything they can to keep people safe onboard as cruising is taking its 1st tentative steps to regain people's confidence after what has happened in the last 2 years?

Everyone was sick on board, but at least the corner of the bed was turned down and a chocolate was left for me - Sounds fantastic.

An evening turndown has never made me feel "important" and it never will. It does however make me feel pampered and that I am somewhere different. Cruising on P&O used to make many feel pampered but sadly that seems to be ending...

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I always liked the turn down service as it was something nice to have, and was pleasant to come back to a neatened cabin with the welcoming glow of the lamp. We used to save the chocolates and would eat them when we came home. 

It’s up to P&O how they deploy their staff, and there’s nothing wrong with clean surfaces around the ships. But the thing we can’t mention is airborne, so all the wiping in the world isn’t going to prevent the spread of that. If they were serious about stopping the spread of you know what, it would involve things like masks, distancing and ventilation 

Moley said it was to ensure Noro did not take hold, like flu the isolation that covid has necessitated has reduced our immunity to these other illnesses.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

do people change their towels every day at home?  We certainly don't.

online research says 46% use towels for a week and 9% use them for a month

So P&O dropping the evening turn down makes economic sense, less laundry

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

In summer it's easy to hang them out, in winter we have the heated towel rail. Not so easy on a ship.

The towels wouldn't take much drying on deck on sea days, could always run a few up the flag pole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I'm thinking about getting Mrs K to nip up our stairs each evening to dim our bedroom 

lighting turn back the duvet and leave an After Eight mint on my pillow ..

Mrs says "Carry on thinking "😉

Seriously though after a night out ,it was nice to come back to the cabin done like that .

No way did we think we were VIP/important ,we simply thought "that's nice " nothing more.😇

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Moley said it was to ensure Noro did not take hold, like flu the isolation that covid has necessitated has reduced our immunity to these other illnesses.

The reports so far indicate that there is not a large Norovirus problem on the ships.

Yet there there seems to be a big problem with the other thing. 

Perhaps they should address their big problems first 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

See

28 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

In summer it's easy to hang them out, in winter we have the heated towel rail. Not so easy on a ship.

exactly 

42 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Yep, that's what we do.  heated towel rail.  We both work still, so there's no way we are washing that many towels.

56 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The towels wouldn't take much drying on deck on sea days, could always run a few up the flag pole.

We generally hang the wet towel behind the bathroom door, and its aĺways fully dried the next morning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

We certainly do not , every other day is more like it so that's good enough for us on the ship, just leave them hung in the bathroom and there dry by the morning , second day they go in the shower tray for the steward to replace . even my ocd other half can manage to get two days out of the towels

In these current times, with the cost of electricity rocketing, we have decided to stop using our tumble dryer as much. To be honest I sometimes think I’m just being lazy. Pegging washing out on the line at this time of year is something we can easily do to save energy. My problem is I wash everything after one use. I am going to be firm with myself and stretch to two. It’s not just about the cost, it’s also about preserving energy. My daughter has three young boys and stopped using her tumble dryer earlier in the year. She bought a wash hanging rail and they fitted it in the utility room. She also does not have the heating on as much as they used to. Their energy bills have dramatically reduced. I have to say though, the ironing takes longer as the clothes are more creased. 

17 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Recommend The Swan at Lavenham, Suffolk. Great evening service even in covid.  Also Stratton House, Bude and Carlyon Bay Hotel, St Austell.

I tend to use boutique type hotels when travelling alone and have found it quite common practice.  Street Barton House in Strete was the one who left the local sweets. 

Next week I'm staying in The Jockey Club rooms for two nights.  Obviously slightly different as it's a club, but turndown is always offered if required.  Mind you I'm slumming it in a Premier Inn near Audley End for the following two nights.

Prior to lockdown quite a few of the central London hotels we use offered it too. We are booked in The Reubens at ThecPalace in September and they send a requirements list on booking.  We have requested turndown.  

I must confess to actively seeking hotels who offer these services - I also love shoeshine as well!

The hotels you describe sound wonderful though we actually prefer staying at a Premier Inn ( usually clean and a reasonable size room)to staying at an average hotel where rooms may differ. Isn't slumming it and Audley End an oxymoron!!

• Like 1

I'm sure we had this discussion about ,if what, why and when we use our towels,

not so long ago 😊

My childhood was a bit like the film KEZ (Good Yorkshire film 😍)

I was forever forgetting my PE kit and towel . Kind Sir would lend me an old pair of shorts .

At the end of the games you had to have a shower and it was no good complaining that 

you had no towel . Sir would say ""well thar best drip dry lad "

Proud to say I was saving the planet way back then ☺️😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

At the end of the games you had to have a shower and it was no good complaining that 

you had no towel . Sir would say ""well thar best drip dry lad "

Proud to say I was saving the planet way back then ☺️😊

Me too, and if you gave any lip back you got to drip dry dry outside, many a lesson learned outside the classroom.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Can you just imagine our mothers giving a clean towel every day?  No washing machines when I was little.  I can't imagine how we have all survived this long!!

I’d been married 4 years before we bought a house with enough room for a washing machine. I had to wash everything by hand including bedding & towels and had a little spin dryer on the draining board. We certainly didn’t have fresh towels every day 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

The hotels you describe sound wonderful though we actually prefer staying at a Premier Inn ( usually clean and a reasonable size room)to staying at an average hotel where rooms may differ. Isn't slumming it and Audley End an oxymoron!!

It wasn't serious about slumming it! I use Premier Inn and Travelodge frequently, as much as the boutique hotels.  Audley End is for an outdoor concert so nearest hotel is Premier Inn.  I was just replying to the comment about turndown and the fact there are UK hotels who offer it and reinstated it.   The Premier Inn in Saffron Walden is brand new so I'm expecting it to be excellent.

I use chain hotels of all types and I travel more or less every month.  However I treat myself to nice accommodation when I want and I like to think of cruising as one of those times.  With fluid pricing the chains are often dearer, just been quoted £734 for a night Premier Inn Wembley on 21 August after a tube strike moved Coldplay concert to that date.  A 5* boutique hotel at Kings Cross £250, still expensive but not such a RIP off.

18 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It wasn't serious about slumming it! I use Premier Inn and Travelodge frequently, as much as the boutique hotels.  Audley End is for an outdoor concert so nearest hotel is Premier Inn.  I was just replying to the comment about turndown and the fact there are UK hotels who offer it and reinstated it.   The Premier Inn in Saffron Walden is brand new so I'm expecting it to be excellent.

I use chain hotels of all types and I travel more or less every month.  However I treat myself to nice accommodation when I want and I like to think of cruising as one of those times.  With fluid pricing the chains are often dearer, just been quoted £734 for a night Premier Inn Wembley on 21 August after a tube strike moved Coldplay concert to that date.  A 5* boutique hotel at Kings Cross £250, still expensive but not such a RIP off.

Was the £734 for the room or the whole hotel!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1