Live From the Summit, 8/7 to 8/31, from an Aqua passenger viewpoint

Ken the cruiser

Now for some fun stuff regarding the filling out of the ArriveCAN app for our arrival in St John’s, Newfoundland in a few days. Bottom line, if you follow the instructions explicitly, you can’t. So off to Guest Services we went. Here’s how they said to fill in the blanks. 

AE37F0BD-7CC6-4190-81B8-7646BE3E4B35.thumb.png.a5a77977b60d903379894f39576166e0.png

Also, once you subsequently add your contact phone number and other requested information in the follow on pages, don’t forget to fill out the Health Questionnaire. If you don’t, the QR code won’t be generated. Luckily, my DW caught that,; otherwise I would not have completed the process and not received my QR code. 

We are taking a cruise out of Boston in October that will take us to ports in Canada.  I assumed we filled out the ArriveCAN before we board the ship.  Am I wrong?  Curious why you are filling out now.  Maybe I am mistaken and need to fill out just prior to Canada arrival.

Just now, bunzini said:

We are taking a cruise out of Boston in October that will take us to ports in Canada.  I assumed we filled out the ArriveCAN before we board the ship.  Am I wrong?  Curious why you are filling out now.  Maybe I am mistaken and need to fill out just prior to Canada arrival.

You have to fill it out within 72 hours of arriving at the first Canadian port. In our case this leg left Reykjavik 6 days ago, so we couldn’t fill it out until now. My guess is on your cruise in October, your first Canadian port will be within 3 days of embarkation. Am I correct?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I have to say as we’re sailing away from Greenland, I will miss (sort of) the crazy cool weather we’ve experienced “up in the north country” which has made us even more motivated to book a cruise to Longyearbyen. 😁

Go for it!!!!!!! 
You won’t regret it🤩🤩🤩

If you liked this cruise/ scenery, you will be very happy in Svalbard/Longyearbyen🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻

If someone wants a good cruise, Hurtigruten has a really good cruise next summer. 
We are counting if we will book. Mr Norwaylady is sold and “begging” on his knee’s for this trip. 

They offer Svalbard Express and Nordkapp express. 
Both are good sailings and you will see lots of different nature and weather🤩

7 hours ago, bunzini said:

yes you are correct the form must be filed before boarding the cruise, we do it on august 17 after we tested negative at the BSI bus terminal in Reykjavik,  we put boarding port Reykjavik and boarding date and time august 19 at 11:30AM.

Celebrity screwup because they don’t avise passengers about this requirement. How X will know/control that all passengers fill the form?  X must ask for the QR code at boarding and denied the boarding to those  passengers without it.

Hope there no be problems when we arrive to Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

Edited by gerelmx
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Margarita Jane said:

@KenTheCruiserHi Ken, I’m a lurker and have been enjoying your review and pictures. Thank you!

Curious - we were in an aft Aqua on Summit in March. We got a lot of noise from the movies on the deck above. Have you had any issues?

Yes. I can definitely hear the sound from the movie playing above us when sitting on the balcony, rain or shine. I have to admit, it would have been much more enjoyable if they were playing Bohemian Rhapsody.  😂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

Go for it!!!!!!! 
You won’t regret it🤩🤩🤩

If you liked this cruise/ scenery, you will be very happy in Svalbard/Longyearbyen🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻

If someone wants a good cruise, Hurtigruten has a really good cruise next summer. 
We are counting if we will book. Mr Norwaylady is sold and “begging” on his knee’s for this trip. 

They offer Svalbard Express and Nordkapp express. 
Both are good sailings and you will see lots of different nature and weather🤩

Thanks! We’re actually waiting for Princess and NCL to post their July 2024 Longyearbyen cruises as we do enjoy the larger “get lost in the crowd” 2000+ passenger cruise ship atmosphere. 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Haha 1

Just now, TeeRick said:

Ken I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and the one from Jim ( @Jim_Iain) too.  Great job guys.  You have continued to stimulate CruiseLust here on CC.

Thanks! I have to admit for me the Cruise Critic “addiction” really all started with the 224 page “Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel” thread, as it truly kept us in touch with the “cruising world” while we were all waiting for the time we could actually get back on the high seas again! 😎  

I have to also say doing “Live from” threads, with this one being the 7th, has given me as much joy to do as hopefully it does for some of those that are following along. BTW our next cruise will be a 38 day NCL B2B on the Jade leaving Athens in late November and stopping at Dubai before heading down the East Africa coast winding up in Cape Town. I have to say, if all goes according to plan, that will hopefully be the highlight of our cruising adventures since it started back up. I hope you’ll be able to follow along on that one as well. 😁

But I will also say, one still needs to stay focused on staying healthy while on a cruise, as covid is still lingering around, as depicted on our last cruise when the Captain mandated masks when inside the ship on the last 2 days of the cruise.

• Like 20

Just now, Beachlover1989 said:

Thanks for the wonderful thread Ken!  We were supposed to be on this cruise, so I'm living vicariously through you!  Lisa

I’m sorry you weren’t able to make it onboard. But I can definitely recommend it if you have a chance to book it in the future!! We have truly enjoyed both legs of our cruise so far. Sure, there have been some minor little issues, as with any cruise. But the itinerary was just awesome for a 12 day cruise! 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! I have to admit for me the Cruise Critic “addiction” really all started with the 224 page “Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel” thread, as it truly kept us in touch with the “cruising world” while we were all waiting for the time we could actually get back on the high seas again! 😎  

I have to also say doing “Live from” threads, with this one being the 7th, has given me as much joy to do as hopefully it does for some of those that are following along. BTW our next cruise will be a 38 day NCL B2B on the Jade leaving Athens in late November and stopping at Dubai before heading down the East Africa coast winding up in Cape Town. I have to say, if all goes according to plan, that will hopefully be the highlight of our cruising adventures since it started back up. I hope you’ll be able to follow along on that one as well. 😁

But I will also say, one still needs to stay focused on staying healthy while on a cruise, as covid is still lingering around, as depicted on our last cruise when the Captain mandated masks when inside the ship on the last 2 days of the cruise.

Ken I think you just wanted the "rare" designation.😀

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I’m sorry you weren’t able to make it onboard. But I can definitely recommend it if you have a chance to book it in the future!! We have truly enjoyed both legs of our cruise so far. Sure, there have been some minor little issues, as with any cruise. But the itinerary was just awesome for a 12 day cruise! 😁

We're already rebooked for 2023!!  YAY!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, gerelmx said:

How X will know/control that all passengers fill the form?  X must ask for the QR code at boarding and denied the boarding to those  passengers without it.

Hope there no be problems when we arrive to Canada.

I just checked with Guest Services. Once the Summit passenger list, to include vaccination status and test results, is sent over to Canadian Customs and then subsequently correlated with their ArriveCan database of validated Summit passengers, a list will be sent back to the Summit letting them know who, if any, is not allowed to come ashore. Celebrity will then flag those passengers who will subsequently get the “buzzer” if they try to exit the ship. I’m also pretty sure Celebrity will also contact those passengers to let them know their status and if they have any options they can perform to resolve the issue.

At least that’s how it was explained to me. Now what happens after that, only those folks that get flagged will be able to answer that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tonight after dinner we actually went to the early show, Intimate Broadway Cabaret, as it wasn’t packed at all in the Blu at all by 6 pm. It was like we were on the last leg! 😂

F1D8AA34-07B0-49DB-9F7E-E9E3975D2739.thumb.jpeg.dde402f5251a685d67f6471b516bf116.jpeg

1599C2C5-0BF6-4DD7-A70E-9AED4A6954D7.thumb.jpeg.37fbd2e0a7dd1dd94156e3bce3cc042d.jpeg

Afterwards when we were looking at the Daily, we saw this, even though we haven’t heard any public announcement. 

CCA355FB-638F-43D5-B9D2-85CBF680C9FE.thumb.jpeg.c378261c1ebd7c7c803e8aad22b3b0ea.jpeg

• Like 1

As far as the seas go today, it was pretty calm but definitely overcast. However, it’s starting to look better when we got back to the cabin this evening.

Unfortunately, this will be the second night there has been no game show on this leg in the Rendezvous Lounge. We had heard our new Activities Manager, Emily, lost her voice after the second day and we haven’t seen or “heard” from her since. Hope she’s OK, but it just seems like something is missing from the cruise as we very much enjoy going to the game shows every night. 

00CA6B8E-491D-422D-8890-B5EEA7AE5794.thumb.jpeg.34ebb2e400c0392447e311bf8bf25dd8.jpeg

But I also have to mention the weather is looking pretty good for a Saturday morning visit to St John’s, Newfoundland! 😁

3E9A61F2-712C-4740-A11B-7C49F8653DD4.thumb.jpeg.97c64f16fcd94d4d878579750936e14f.jpeg

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 1:20 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

It was time to do my wine search this afternoon since they only have a limited supply of moscato which you can only buy by the bottle, even if you have the Premium Beverage package. And I think I have found a suitable substitute that I can get by the glass and it’s only 8% alcohol. I know, many of you like a more dryer wine. But for me the less acidic and more sweeter the taste is the better. 😁

Normally, I’m happy with a good German Riesling on the ship if I can’t find a tasty moscato. But when I tried this Riesling Spatlese, I found my new goto wine for the cruise! 🕺🕺

60E57410-78C4-4057-BDA9-AEA7AECC5DE7.thumb.jpeg.c90f0590043bbdd9025297a65f0b650a.jpeg 
75A64D61-9CD0-4730-9C26-1DD8E97DDA96.thumb.jpeg.2ff8bd4849e5d69ae079f9fbba2cd861.jpeg

I’m with you, I like sweet wine. That one is my go to on Celebrity. We also had a dessert wine in Blu that I think was Selbach Auslese that was sweet.

• Like 1

so I would think the cruise director might step up, get creative and fill in with some evening activities!

even the “old folks” deserve fun entertainment if not a dancing enthusiast.   Looking for some prime time laughter!

Edited by roupa

Just now, roupa said:

so I would think the cruise director might step up, get creative and fill in with some evening activities!

even the “old folks” deserve fun entertainment if not a dancing enthusiast.   Looking for some prime time laughter!

I can only think of one Celebrity CD that actually participated in some of the game shows on cruises we’ve been on since it started back up and that was Loren on both the Edge and Apex this past summer. But on Princess, the CDs always seem to be involved with the game shows as well as introducing acts in the main theater and other events going on around the ship.

It just seems odd not having a game show to go to between the early and late evening shows in the main theater. Another odd thing is that both nights they didn’t have game shows on this leg were on chic nights. That wasn’t the case on the last leg or for that matter any of the previous 10 cruise legs we’ve been on since cruising started back up.

• Like 1