Lasagna and Burgers -MDR vs Specialty?

canadarocks

My experience on Koningsdam and Zuiderdam lately:  The burgers are a bit different in the MDR.  I liked them better as they were hotter, as were the fries. The lasagna in the MDR can be a bit watery. Canaletto is probably better.

Depends on the ship, the day, the cook...............

• Thanks 1

Be careful of the lasagna in the MDR.  I ordered the Rudi’s special lasagna and couldn’t eat it.  When the server asked, I had to tell him it was the worst lasagna I have ever had in my life.  It was made with a bechamel sauce (think Moussaka) instead of a marinara sauce.  It was truly awful.

1 hour ago, canadarocks said:

Is the Lasagna served at dinner in the MDR the same as the Lasagna in the Canaletto? And is the Burger served at lunchtime in the MDR the same as the lunchtime Burger in the Pinnacle Grill? 

The burgers are totally different between MDR and Pinnacle Grill. The Pinnacle Grill burger tasted freshly ground and meticulously stacked. The Chef that came by was very proud of it.

(The fries are the same all over the ship: bafflingly bad, coated, from a bag things.)

22 minutes ago, BigMattT said:

(The fries are the same all over the ship: bafflingly bad, coated, from a bag things.)

Ask for the kid's fries.  We had the same impression of the ship's fries until our 9 year-old ordered something off the kids menu that came with fries.  They were delicious, perfectly-cooked steak fries that were WAY better than the other fries on the ship!

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

It was made with a bechamel sauce

I always thought that the white sauce over the red sauce and lasagne sheets was bechamel sauce?

Marinara sauce is red?

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I always thought that the white sauce over the red sauce and lasagne sheets was bechamel sauce?

Marinara sauce is red?

Yes and yes.  👍

Oh wait.  Are you thinking of the cheese topping as bechamel?  The white topping on a regular lasagne typically is a mixture of ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Is the Lasagna served at dinner in the MDR the same as the Lasagna in the Canaletto?

In my experience, yes it's the same. This was on the Rotterdam in April.

I thought it was very good - I had it in both venues. And I'm a picky lasagna aficionado!

With that being said, had I known it would also be offered in the MDR, I would've ordered something else at Canaletto.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes and yes.  👍

Oh wait.  Are you thinking of the cheese topping as bechamel?  The white topping on a regular lasagne typically is a mixture of ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella.

To me, this is an almost perfect lasagne.

Was yours all white sauce?download.jpg.c3ce12cadd2f9cbb3df9a3ff8baf2ddd.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Traditional /conventional / original / authentic lasagna is layered pasta, bechamel, and bolognese. I think Americans "invented" the ricotta style. I'm sure someone has made a youtube video or something cataloguing the evolution.

4 hours ago, iceman93 said:

Ask for the kid's fries.  We had the same impression of the ship's fries until our 9 year-old ordered something off the kids menu that came with fries.  They were delicious, perfectly-cooked steak fries that were WAY better than the other fries on the ship!

What!? I'll have to remember that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BigMattT said:

At least on Statendam the last 18 days, the fries aren't coated. The ones in the Lido are cooked differently...liked them better than Dive In fries...used to be the other way around with the coated Dive In fries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes, all white sauce.  Sounds like you would love it!  I did not.  🤭

Oh no no no.  maybe 80% red sauce with beef and lots and lots of garlic and 20% bechamel. Topped with grated parmigiano.  mmmmmmmmm 😋( with 🍷of course!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bechamel is made from butter and flour - it is a French thing. Even in Canada some Italian restaurants use it in their lasagna. I have never seen it as a top coating but within the layers on top of the red sauce. I am not a fan of bechamel and would not order or eat lasagna with bechamel.

I find them all unique... and you can ask for the recipe in the MDR and the specialty restaurants, and you will know for sure. I collect each recipe for the dishes I like, and they are happy to give them... it will take the guess work out of it for you. Hope this helps you.

2 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Just to clarify, I'm curious about the Pinnacle Grill lunch burger vs the MDR lunch burger. The description of each sounds very similar. 

extremely different, but I am a huge fan of Pinnacle Lunch. For the crab cakes and steak and shrimp bruschetta and in particular the Cioppino.. not to be missed! Go look at a menu..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Just to clarify, I'm curious about the Pinnacle Grill lunch burger vs the MDR lunch burger. The description of each sounds very similar. 

They are different.  Both are good, but the Pinnacle burger is more fancy in terms of the bun, ground beef, seasonings, and toppings.

For those who have recently cruised, is there still a daily lasagna selection in the Italian section of The Lido Marketplace? I really enjoyed the variety of lasagnas they had on my last several cruises, each day was a different recipe than the day before.

Edited by syesmar

ADD18007-3433-4A1A-BB76-082E2C5D81F0.thumb.jpeg.41c3be3d25fd2293715e509539ffac24.jpeg

0A6122E3-08B5-4ECF-96E0-2A76C881CF05.thumb.jpeg.2759007cea30e033dac2edcdadce8854.jpeg

Two different Lasagne on the Rotterdam in Club Orange early January 2022. I liked it so much that I ordered it 3 times. And, yes, it’s made with a béchamel sauce, which I feel is better than lasagna with ricotta. 

The burger in the Pinnacle Grill is much better than the MDR, however, it’s still really good. Below is the MDR burger. 

E443B2A6-F1B5-431E-A721-F83C9CDE9C82.thumb.jpeg.afffa7071c13289a8aaf5abdfa46748e.jpeg

9A7A233D-7170-4115-B7E1-2C94A521F686.jpeg

• Like 2