Crown Princess to home port in SF. Mask mandates, and more.

masterty

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

The Ruby leaves Galveston for San Francisco April 14, 2023.

The Regal will be in Galveston for the 2023 winter season starting December 17,2023.

That’s a lot of ship repositionings.  Does that mean the Ruby will do San Francisco to Alaska round trip?  Was hoping the Grand would do the same from LA but she is already scheduled Vancouver/Alaska 2023.  Bummer.  

9 hours ago, Allograft said:

Details please...

We traveled on her a couple of times and although the more recent on her was better, she still had some issues.  This is when she was fairly new.  The worst we’d seen was her totally losing all power .. just dead in the water.  There were other issues that were related to management decisions and untrained staff, which I understand are fleeting.  But, these memories still give me pause to book on her again.  
The propulsion problems and other issues being reported lately confirm that it is a ship that we are likely to avoid.  

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That’s a lot of ship repositionings.  Does that mean the Ruby will do San Francisco to Alaska round trip?  Was hoping the Grand would do the same from LA but she is already scheduled Vancouver/Alaska 2023.  Bummer.  

The Ruby is going to be back in SF for the Alaska season for 2023.  I think the Crown will replace her in October 2023.  Not sure where she is going from there.  

On 8/5/2022 at 3:56 PM, cali-croozer said:

Are you saying the dining room is open for lunch upon embarkation ?   

Almost always. Sometimes not available due to being used for a private function.

The menu is limited (everything is on one page). Usually 3 entrees (2 meat/fish, one veggie), soup/salad choices and a dessert.

The best way to start your cruise. Never been to the buffet for our start up lunch, but walked through once or twice...it's like feeding time at the zoo.

Don't ask anyone from the crew which MDR is open, they will (almost) always direct you to the buffet. Some don't know it's open, some appear to have been instructed to keep it a secret.

It's generally the MDR on deck 6 mid-ship IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, masterty said:

Agreed. We find ourselves having to get so close to the workers faces speaking loudly only to have them pull thier mask down eventually to stop having to repeat. Thick foreign accents doesn't help either. I'm 100% in favor of staff "mask required" elimination. JM2C. 

Try understanding what's being said through a mask when you're partially deaf (even w/hearing aids). I rely on lip reading for a lot of my conversations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Try understanding what's being said through a mask when you're partially deaf (even w/hearing aids). I rely on lip reading for a lot of my conversations.

I'm not that deaf but I still can't fully understand their muffled voice through a mask.

Maybe I read lips more than I realize. 👄 😄

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Allograft said:

Welcome to the Crown!...Do people remember which of the Princess ships used to home port here in the even numbered docks? There was one that was retrofit here like 8 years ago I believe. I used to see it a lot in dry dock.

Which one?

Do tell? what happened? I'm about to get on the Sapphire which caught fire in dry dock 20 years ago....

Same

We just sailed on the Crown for the 5th or 6th time.  Yes, the propulsion issues were problematic.  But the ship is still beautiful and I like the layout.  The staff is top notch!
We always enjoyed the Crown!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Allograft said:

This is perfectly San Francisco. A beautiful promise but fails to deliver on the most basic and essential functions. A beautiful ship that doesn’t sail is for a beautiful city that doesn’t keep its citizens safe and crushes the working folks. 

Ah, gratuitous SF bashing.  I guess it was inevitable.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Allograft said:

This is perfectly San Francisco. A beautiful promise but fails to deliver on the most basic and essential functions. A beautiful ship that doesn’t sail is for a beautiful city that doesn’t keep its citizens safe and crushes the working folks. 

I'd rather see it on the west coast than Florida any day. Give me the nice new cruise ships without any of those problems that seem to plague those old ships. 

24 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I'd rather see it on the west coast than Florida any day. Give me the nice new cruise ships without any of those problems that seem to plague those old ships. 

Yeah, propulsion systems not working is not in an insignificant issue

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Italy52 said:

We only took one cruise using LAX.  Ever since then, we go out of Long Beach.

We used Long Beach for recent Mexico cruise and found it easy to use. So not sure if comparing LA with San Diego 'because of LAX' is valid. I suppose many people have to fly to LAX.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

We used Long Beach for recent Mexico cruise and found it easy to use. So not sure if comparing LA with San Diego 'because of LAX' is valid. I suppose many people have to fly to LAX.

??? not sure what you are getting at.  We have also flown into San Diego and had no issues. 

24 minutes ago, Allograft said:

Yes, right in the heart of the city for more than a decade

Well, I recently voted to successfully recall Boudin, and I was so pleased that more people realized the dumpster fire that he represents than they did in 2019 when I voted against him.

And as for the rest of your points, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I hope that you enjoy whatever your next cruise may be

Hope you enjoy your next cruise as well.

22 minutes ago, suzyed said:

We did 19-20 knots... how much slower is that than normal?

I believe that's about normal, but the problem is as reported below by a prior poster:

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The worst we’d seen was her totally losing all power .. just dead in the water.

That's much slower.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Allograft said:

I believe that's about normal, but the problem is as reported below by a prior poster:

That's much slower.

It sure is, but th incident lasted about 15 minutes.
Believe me, I was disappointed that Princess was using the Crown for sailings to Alaska.  Due to the known problems, some ports were eliminated or we arrived late to others.   The changes were made a month or more prior to our sailing.  We were sailing in 4 cabins with 6 family members and it would have been difficult to make the change.  I just wanted to point out that it wasn't all bad and my family thought the ship was beautiful.

• Like 1