Laundry

Tink55

If I may ask another laundry-related question ,,,,

We will be on the 73-day cruise FLL R/T around South America Oct 2023.  It has been a few years since we last sailed on HAL.  Because the cruise is so long, laundry will certainly be a necessity.  Can anyone comment on sending things like men's dress pants and polo shirts, maybe even ladies' washable dress pants and tops?  Any problems with shrinkage, etc. (other than that self-induced by the good food)!?  I know I could wash things in the room and hang to dry but trying to avoid that if possible.  We have had some not-so-good experiences on other cruise lines but, as I recall, not so much with HAL

Thanks for the help

20 minutes ago, crusin'k said:

We will be on the 73-day cruise FLL R/T around South America Oct 2023.  It has been a few years since we last sailed on HAL.  Because the cruise is so long, laundry will certainly be a necessity.  Can anyone comment on sending things like men's dress pants and polo shirts, maybe even ladies' washable dress pants and tops?  Any problems with shrinkage, etc. (other than that self-induced by the good food)!?  I know I could wash things in the room and hang to dry but trying to avoid that if possible.  We have had some not-so-good experiences on other cruise lines but, as I recall, not so much with HAL

Thanks for the help

Part of the answer you need: On longer or shorter cruises we always use laundry service. Dry cleaning for everything that cannot be washed in the washing machine, like pants, ties etc of DH or silk dresses and alike. Perfect service. But please mention it when clothing needs special handling, like cold wash or no machine drying etc. However I do wash my "undies" (right word?) in the bathroom. shhht 😉 using bathroom shampo. Hang it in the evening and it is dry in the morning.... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, crusin'k said:

@MAVIPbeat me to mentioning the dry-cleaning option. The price is more than laundering, but last time I checked it was just about equal to shore-side. (Note: 3 years ago.)

I try to pick my travel-wardrobe from things that are not too fragile. I have never seen anyone say they were able to get things washed but returned wet or damp to drip-dry (what a hassle that would be for the stewards!). Those things will have to be done by you in the sink. But apparently and to my surprise, marking your whole bag "cold" or "warm and warm dry", is observed!

We sailed 26-days with carryon only. I did all the laundry in the sink, including at least one pair of my husband's trousers! Never again! Fortunately in his retirement he has gravitated to easy-care nylon pants and shirts. He will take one Mexican Wedding Shirt for dressy nights; if food were to be spilled thereon, that would be a dry-cleaning candidate along with my one sparkly top.

• Like 2

I would suggest you use your cell phone and take a picture of what you are putting in the laundry bag, also the order sheet after you complete it. When your laundry is returned check it against the picture. Some times things get mixed up and either you will get a piece of someone else's laundry or they will get yours. They do a great job with the laundry!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColoAndy22 said:

Is there an ability to do self-service laundry? Like a coin-op washer & dryer?  We will be on Noordam on the August 28 sailing. 

There are no longer self serve laundries on Holland America ships.  All have been removed.  

• Thanks 2

On 8/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, Gsel said:

I would suggest you use your cell phone and take a picture of what you are putting in the laundry bag, also the order sheet after you complete it. When your laundry is returned check it against the picture. Some times , things get mixed up and either you will get a piece of someone else's laundry or they will get yours. They do a great job with the laundry!

This is rare.  I love the laundry service and have never had a blip.  It allows me to pack lightly and they do a better job than I ever do at home.  Nothing I own is irreplaceable, and as it is, I have zero worries about laundry. I throw absolutely everything in the bag....no hand washing for me. Lazy beans here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes, one hassle is you have to list the number of each type of clothing you put in the bag (ex: 3 pairs underwear, 5 t-shirts, 1 pair pants, etc) whenever you send it away. If you're going with the unlimited laundry option, it's useful to ask your cabin attendant for multiple sheets of the laundry form on your first day -  so you won't have to hunt them down every time you run out of the form.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

Yes, one hassle is you have to list the number of each type of clothing you put in the bag (ex: 3 pairs underwear, 5 t-shirts, 1 pair pants, etc) whenever you send it away. If you're going with the unlimited laundry option, it's useful to ask your cabin attendant for multiple sheets of the laundry form on your first day -  so you won't have to hunt them down every time you run out of the form.

And a few extra laundry bags as well on your first day.

• Like 2

Just now, JesseLivermore said:

i hear ya. Wish we'd know for 7 day cruise w/  2 kids.

Will do this next time. 2 day TAT?  So 3 days of clothes to pack 

My experience with hundreds of laundry submissions is morning turn-in before 9:00 AM should be returned same evening.  Evening turn-in will return next afternoon or earlier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We used laundry during our two weeks B2B cruise to Norway. They do not accept laundry later than 48 hours before  the debarkation. In our case, because of B2B, 48 hours timelimit the first and the second week. Absolutely no problem for is but good to know.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 11:19 PM, vicd1969 said:

Yes, one hassle is you have to list the number of each type of clothing you put in the bag (ex: 3 pairs underwear, 5 t-shirts, 1 pair pants, etc) whenever you send it away. 

Simple, that is the job of my DH.  His own choice 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is the $20 (stuff in as much as you can) laundry bag rate available as often as you want on very long HAL cruises or is that just a special promo rate offered occasionally on the voyage? I am trying to determine if the unlimited laundry (no dry cleaning) package could be cost justified for us. Thanks.

30 minutes ago, NorthWestPassage said:

Is the $20 (stuff in as much as you can) laundry bag rate available as often as you want on very long HAL cruises or is that just a special promo rate offered occasionally on the voyage?

It's any time (up to two days before end of cruise). There is no restriction on what goes in the bag. (RCI was only for "smalls" no longsleeved shirts or slacks.)

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 1:55 PM, crystalspin said:

It's any time (up to two days before end of cruise). There is no restriction on what goes in the bag. (RCI was only for "smalls" no longsleeved shirts or slacks.)

I only see $20 for North America and $30 for Europe per bag.  Is it $20 in the South Pacific as well?  Thanks

On 8/7/2022 at 2:21 PM, crystalspin said:

We sailed 26-days with carryon only. I did all the laundry in the sink, including at least one pair of my husband's trousers! Never again! Fortunately in his retirement he has gravitated to easy-care nylon pants and shirts. He will take one Mexican Wedding Shirt for dressy nights; if food were to be spilled thereon, that would be a dry-cleaning candidate along with my one sparkly top.

Brilliant!  Carry-ons only: tell me more!  How many carry-ons each. Anything else like backpacks?  You deserve a medal,  not just a HAL Medallion.