Best airline Barcelona to Madrid

FTLcruisers

For the first time, we'll need a flight in Europe and I'm not familiar with most of the airlines.  We're flying from Barcelona to Milan.  When doing a search, the brands I recognize are Iberia and Ryanair - one-way non-stop flights are between$40-$70.  Others listed are EasyJet and Vueling where some flights are listed as low as $25!!  Would appreciate input from anyone familiar with these airlines.  Thanks

I'm confused - do you want Barcelona to Madrid or Barcelona to Milan?

Barcelona to Madrid - none, take a train

Barcelona to Milan - there aren't a lot of differences between those four airlines for such a short flight, but do your research regarding the cost of not only the ticket but what luggage (both checked and cabin) and seat selection may cost. They won't always cost the same, and that can make the "cheaper" flights more expensive. I will say that, while I have never flown Vueling, I have had several experiences each on Iberia, Ryanair, and Easyjet. For intra-Europe flying, I find very little difference these days. I like Iberia because it gets me American Airlines miles, but for point-to-point travel in Europe, I often find myself on Easyjet and have enjoyed them slightly more than Ryanair and Iberia. 

EDIT: Upon further review, I don't believe Iberia flies BCN-MXP. Take a look at times - I am guessing the "Iberia" flight is the same time as the Vueling flight, so it's likely a Vueling flight that also carries an Iberia codeshare. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1

All flights will make their way from Barcelona to Milan - some might have higher irregularity than others.

Ryanair,  Easyjet and Vueling are all low-cost airlines- make sure you fully understand luggage allowance - listed prices is with no luggage - might even be very strict limits on carry-on.

There may also be other fees - The final price might not be seen until the ticket is booked.

Edited by hallasm

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm confused - do you want Barcelona to Madrid or Barcelona to Milan?

Barcelona to Madrid - none, take a train

Barcelona to Milan - there aren't a lot of differences between those four airlines for such a short flight, but do your research regarding the cost of not only the ticket but what luggage (both checked and cabin) and seat selection may cost. They won't always cost the same, and that can make the "cheaper" flights more expensive. I will say that, while I have never flown Vueling, I have had several experiences each on Iberia, Ryanair, and Easyjet. For intra-Europe flying, I find very little difference these days. I like Iberia because it gets me American Airlines miles, but for point-to-point travel in Europe, I often find myself on Easyjet and have enjoyed them slightly more than Ryanair and Iberia. 

EDIT: Upon further review, I don't believe Iberia flies BCN-MXP. Take a look at times - I am guessing the "Iberia" flight is the same time as the Vueling flight, so it's likely a Vueling flight that also carries an Iberia codeshare. 

OMG - how did I put Madrid in the subject???  But, yes it is Milan we are going to and your reply is very helpful - thanks.

49 minutes ago, hallasm said:

All flights will make their way from Barcelona to Milan - some might have higher irregularity than others.

Ryanair,  Easyjet and Vueling are all low-cost airlines- make sure you fully understand luggage allowance - listed prices is with no luggage - might even be very strict limits on carry-on.

There may also be other fees - The final price might not be seen until the ticket is booked.

While I still don't think Iberia offers BCN-MXP, if they did, they are really just a low cost carrier pretending to be a non-low cost carrier. That almost makes it worse...at least Ryanair, Easyjet, and Vueling are honest about what they are. Airlines like Iberia, BA, and some others in Europe just pretend they aren't...but they are.

The cheapest "Basic" fare on Iberia only includes a piece of hand baggage...any checked bags or seat assignments cost extra just like they do on Ryanair or Easyjet. 

6 hours ago, FTLcruisers said:

... We're flying from Barcelona to Milan.  When doing a search, the brands I recognize are Iberia and Ryanair - one-way non-stop flights are between$40-$70.  Others listed are EasyJet and Vueling where some flights are listed as low as $25!!  Would appreciate input from anyone familiar with these airlines.  Thanks

Be aware that Ryanair does not fly to the "main" Milan airport, but rather, to Bergamo.. This may or may not be convenient for you. 

This topic reminds me of the parody song about cheap flights: 

Edited by SFCAcruiser

5 hours ago, FTLcruisers said:

OMG - how did I put Madrid in the subject???  But, yes it is Milan we are going to and your reply is very helpful - thanks.

I looked it up and it looks like the only non-stop are with easyJet, Vueling,  These are discount airlines.  You want to book online directly with the airline.  They are going to be al a cart.  So baggage, seat assignment will not be included at the lowest fare.  You need to pick a more expensive package.  For example easyJet has "Flex" fares include all of those "extras" such as carry on baggage, checked baggage, priority access through security, a voucher for buy-on-board, early boarding, free changes etc.  

EastJet and Vueling are not bad or unsafe airlines.  They simply price their offering a bit differently.  You probably have baggage so your will want to pick one of the more expensive fares upfront when making the booking to avoid being nickel and dimmed at check in and at the gate.

Lufthansa (including their subsidiaries Swiss, Air Dolomite, Austrian) is one of the largest airline groups in Europe.  They are a traditional airlines, however your going to have to go through on of their hubs.   

Air France (including their subsidiary KLM) is another large airline group again your going through a hub. 

I don't like the discount airlines generally but if it was me I would rather go EasyJet or Vueling and buy the upgraded fare than spend an extra few hours on a vacation flying though Munich or Paris.

The other thing to mention is in Europe a normal checked bag is 23kg.  Above that expect to pay some overage fees.

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

While I still don't think Iberia offers BCN-MXP, if they did, they are really just a low cost carrier pretending to be a non-low cost carrier. That almost makes it worse...at least Ryanair, Easyjet, and Vueling are honest about what they are. Airlines like Iberia, BA, and some others in Europe just pretend they aren't...but they are.

I haven't tried Iberia but BA is not a low cost carrier. They are not at all similar to Ryanair and Easyjet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I haven't tried Iberia but BA is not a low cost carrier. They are not at all similar to Ryanair and Easyjet.

That's right....Ryanair has a uniform 30 inch pitch on their seating, while many BA aircraft squeeze you in tighter at 29 inch.

Let's just say that in many ways, BA acts like a LCC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Sorry but I fly BA aircraft within Europe many, many times each year and I wholeheartedly disagree. I do it often because my allegiance to OneWorld means I am on a connection through LHR from overseas (same reason I end up on Iberia through Madrid). If I am doing a point-to-point trip within Europe or between Europe and North Africa, I often choose Easyjet over BA because I end up with a more enjoyable experience the majority of the time. BA is a full fare airline that acts like a low cost carrier in many, many ways. 

Edited by Zach1213

4 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Sorry but I fly BA aircraft within Europe many, many times each year and I wholeheartedly disagree. I do it often because my allegiance to OneWorld means I am on a connection through LHR from overseas (same reason I end up on Iberia through Madrid). If I am doing a point-to-point trip within Europe or between Europe and North Africa, I often choose Easyjet over BA because I end up with a more enjoyable experience the majority of the time. BA is a full fare airline that acts like a low cost carrier in many, many ways. 

We just have to disagree about that!

I have never felt that BA offer a LCC product.

We have done a number of Vueling flights in Europe over the years.  They have all been good.

Same for Easyjet despite the bad PR from time to time.  We were on an Easyjet flight in Portugal last month.  It was perfect for a short hop.  And very inexpensive compared to the TAP alternative.

You do need to check the bottom line w/ luggage.  There are often very inexpensive flights.  Sometimes the national carriers match the price.  On more than one occasion we have found the national to be less costly than the regional based on baggage/carry on charges.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

We just have to disagree about that!

I have never felt that BA offer a LCC product.

I'm not trying to convince you, and I am sure you don't care, but because I am a geek, I did some research and compared a one-way Hamburg to London flight on 1 October (because this is actually a flight I will be booking soon): 

BA, HAM-LHR: €391 for lowest fare, which is hand baggage only. Checked baggage and seat selection cost extra. Checked bag is €45 in advance online, or €85 if you pay at the airport. Seat has 29" pitch, and 17" width. 

Easyjet, HAM-LGW: €266 for lowest fare, which is hand baggage only. Checked baggage and seat selection cost extra. Checked baggage is between €37 and €56 in advance, depending on the weight (not sure what the fee is at the airport). Standard (non-exit row) seats are between €9 and €11 each. Seat has 29" pitch and 18" width. 

Ryanair, HAM-STN: Sold out on that date, so I can't figure out the price. Checked baggage and seat selection do cost extra there too. They have the most legroom of the three, at 30" pitch, and 17" width. 

4 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm not trying to convince you, and I am sure you don't care, but because I am a geek, I did some research and compared a one-way Hamburg to London flight on 1 October (because this is actually a flight I will be booking soon): 

BA, HAM-LHR: €391 for lowest fare, which is hand baggage only. Checked baggage and seat selection cost extra. Checked bag is €45 in advance online, or €85 if you pay at the airport. Seat has 29" pitch, and 17" width. 

Easyjet, HAM-LGW: €266 for lowest fare, which is hand baggage only. Checked baggage and seat selection cost extra. Checked baggage is between €37 and €56 in advance, depending on the weight (not sure what the fee is at the airport). Standard (non-exit row) seats are between €9 and €11 each. Seat has 29" pitch and 18" width. 

Ryanair, HAM-STN: Sold out on that date, so I can't figure out the price. Checked baggage and seat selection do cost extra there too. They have the most legroom of the three, at 30" pitch, and 17" width. 

I think the key difference between a network carrier and a LCC is the network.  

The Legacy carriers have interline agreement with other airlines and are setup to do connections.  The LCC care islands on to themselves.  Many are just point to point and if they do support connections it is limited to their own flights.

It is possible to buy a ticket that include a flight by Air Canada connecting in Heathrow with a BA where if something is delayed the airlines are responsible for rerouting.

For LCC carries that is just not possible.  They just don't run the computer systems able to handle these types of connections and don't have the agreements in place to make them work.  That removes a lot of cost from their operation.   

Being a LCC is not about being lower cost for the consumer, it is about reducing your operating cost to be bare minimum. 

32 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

BA, HAM-LHR: €391 for lowest fare, which is hand baggage only.

Damn....that's pricey.  About the same distance as Chicago to Pittsburgh, but way more in price.

Won't complain about my USA domestic pricing.

38 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Damn....that's pricey.  About the same distance as Chicago to Pittsburgh, but way more in price.

Won't complain about my USA domestic pricing.

Yep, I was a bit shocked. I've flown LHR/LGW-HAM and vv dozens of times and can't remember anything close to that fare for this far out. 

Glad the client is paying it 🙂

Edited by Zach1213

British Airways is in such a mess at Heathrow (shortage of ground crew amongst other issues) that they have withdrawn all low price "ticket buckets".  Only "full fare" tickets on offer.  They are doing that to restrict capacity for the next few weeks, which is why you see such alarming prices for travel in next couple of months.

London has six airports and many competing airlines.  I wouldn't choose to book BA out of Heathrow in next few weeks.  Services out of LondonCity and Stansted are much less affected by the issues affecting Heathrow and Gatwick

Our last Vueling flight pre covid  was Palermo to Rome to catch a last minute Oct. med cruise.  I remember the fare.  $37.  No bags, we only had carry on. Flight was perfect.

Edited by iancal

11 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm not talking about the cost for the ticket. Obviously a LCC shall cost less! 

Most of my flights are ARN-LHR-ARN or ARN-LHR-MIA-LHR-ARN and I'm not aware of any LCC flying thoose routes. My experiences have been good.

I have missed my connection at LHR a few times when arriving from the US and I have always been moved to the next flight to ARN.

Before Covid we have enjoyed Cathays lounge at LHR when flying go MIA or BCN and that has not felt like a LCC experience.

The food on the plane, absolutely not perfect but I won't call it a LCC experience.

LCC often use small boring airports and I prefer to avoid that. I know that they have problems now but normally it's very easy to connect at LHR, I think.

I also like that I don't have to weight my carry on when flying BA, 23kg is more than enough!

We’ve flown BA, easy jet and Ryanair intra Europe.  The absolute worst was Ryanair, not even a seat pocket, they handed out and collected the safety cards,  I’m 5’ 5” an I had to sit with my knees sideways, it was in no way a 30 inch pitch,  this flight was about six years ago.  So hopefully things are different.   I would only ever fly Ryanair in Their premium,   Easy jet was preferable, and BA much superior to either.   I resent paying even for water on the others. 

"So hopefully things are different."

Different in that BA have refitted all their short haul Airbus fleet to have much denser seating - now BA have the same legroom as easyjet or Ryanair.  The only comfortable choice is BA out of LondonCity (using Embrarer jets), where the legroom is far superior

10 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I'm not talking about the cost for the ticket. Obviously a LCC shall cost less! 

Most of my flights are ARN-LHR-ARN or ARN-LHR-MIA-LHR-ARN and I'm not aware of any LCC flying thoose routes. My experiences have been good.

I have missed my connection at LHR a few times when arriving from the US and I have always been moved to the next flight to ARN.

Before Covid we have enjoyed Cathays lounge at LHR when flying go MIA or BCN and that has not felt like a LCC experience.

The food on the plane, absolutely not perfect but I won't call it a LCC experience.

LCC often use small boring airports and I prefer to avoid that. I know that they have problems now but normally it's very easy to connect at LHR, I think.

I also like that I don't have to weight my carry on when flying BA, 23kg is more than enough!

I will say I am primarily focusing my statements on intra-European point-to-point flying since that's the original topic at hand in this thread. For longhaul, I am absolutely dedicated to OneWorld. Other than that, we'll just have to agree to disagree 🙂

1 hour ago, Island2Dweller said:

"So hopefully things are different."

Different in that BA have refitted all their short haul Airbus fleet to have much denser seating - now BA have the same legroom as easyjet or Ryanair.  The only comfortable choice is BA out of LondonCity (using Embrarer jets), where the legroom is far superior

Ryanair's 737-800s (which is the entirety of their fleet) have 30" seat pitch, versus 29" on BA's EuroTraveller A319/A320 fleet. The ERJs out of London City aren't far superior, they have 30" pitch...but the whole experience is just so much better. I end up on the LCY-RTM and LCY-ZRH flights  a few times each year and it's just so darn easy. 

Edited by Zach1213

10 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

The ERJs out of London City aren't far superior, they have 30" pitch...but the whole experience is just so much better. I end up on the LCY-RTM and LCY-ZRH flights  a few times each year and it's just so darn easy. 

Sorry, I just have to jump in here (having so far eschewed the unproductive discussion about artificially categorising airlines that are actually competing in the same price-driven market, so far as economy is concerned).

The pitch on the LCY Embraers is 33" - source (for the number): https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-embraer-190-type-er9 - because of the decision by BA/CJ to stay within the 2-cabin crew seating limit.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2022 at 10:31 PM, em-sk said:

I think the key difference between a network carrier and a LCC is the network.  

The Legacy carriers have interline agreement with other airlines and are setup to do connections.  The LCC care islands on to themselves.  Many are just point to point and if they do support connections it is limited to their own flights.

It is possible to buy a ticket that include a flight by Air Canada connecting in Heathrow with a BA where if something is delayed the airlines are responsible for rerouting.

For LCC carries that is just not possible.  They just don't run the computer systems able to handle these types of connections and don't have the agreements in place to make them work.  That removes a lot of cost from their operation.   

Being a LCC is not about being lower cost for the consumer, it is about reducing your operating cost to be bare minimum.

Actually, some of the LCCs belong to airline groups that also include well-known legacy carriers, eg. IAG may be best known for BA and Iberia, but it also owns Vueling, KLM/AF has Transavia and Lufthansa Group includes Eurowings and Eurowings Discover. This means that on some routes there could be codeshares for these LCC flights and you could combine these with flights from the legacy carriers on single ticket. Of course, mainly these LCCs still offer point-to-point service (and often on routes that can be described as holiday oriented) and the on board experience makes some sacrifies to allow the lower prices.

7 hours ago, Hezu said:

Actually, some of the LCCs belong to airline groups that also include well-known legacy carriers, eg. IAG may be best known for BA and Iberia, but it also owns Vueling, KLM/AF has Transavia and Lufthansa Group includes Eurowings and Eurowings Discover. This means that on some routes there could be codeshares for these LCC flights and you could combine these with flights from the legacy carriers on single ticket. Of course, mainly these LCCs still offer point-to-point service (and often on routes that can be described as holiday oriented) and the on board experience makes some sacrifies to allow the lower prices.

Agree.  We also find the likes of Air Malta, Olympic/Aegean, and sometimes BA offer extremely competive fares to the LCC's.   They are in direct competition on many routes.  Cherry pick the best offers.    If selecting a LCC you should always double check the airport they fly to or from.

Edited by iancal