ArriveCan piece of junk

satxdiver

I have been trying several times over quite a few of days to enter our info for our upcoming cruise (now 3 days) and have  not been able to even get in.  I was able to create an account but being elderly forgot the password.  It will not let me enter a new password even though it keeps asking for the new passwords.  I enter a new password which the ap accepts but then will not recognize it when I try to log in.  I even tried deleting the ap and reloading it to no avail.  So will Princess let us on the ship without the d#@$%d ap?  We understand that Canada will not let us off the ship and we are fine with that.  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I have been trying several times over quite a few of days to enter our info for our upcoming cruise (now 3 days) and have  not been able to even get in.  I was able to create an account but being elderly forgot the password.  It will not let me enter a new password even though it keeps asking for the new passwords.  I enter a new password which the ap accepts but then will not recognize it when I try to log in.  I even tried deleting the ap and reloading it to no avail.  So will Princess let us on the ship without the d#@$%d ap?  We understand that Canada will not let us off the ship and we are fine with that.  

You actually need the app to enter the country. We we never asked for it when we left the ship but we also need not leave the ship in Victoria

48 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I’m sorry, but you cannot enter Canada without providing your required information on ArriveCAN app.  Which cruise are you on?  Are you embarking or disembarking in Canada?  

• Like 1

Not sure why you are having so many problems. It took me 5 minutes to set up and have used it on 3 trips so far. Each time took an additional 2 minutes to add in the trip info. Sorry, but this sounds like user error. Have you tried following the suggestions on their help page?  

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan/help.html

If all else fails, they provide contact information as well.

And in no way do I mean to be sparky, but if remembering passwords is a problem,  perhaps writing them all down and keeping them in a secure place would be helpful. There are also programs that will store them on your device and some will autopopulate required password fields.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We understand that Canada will not let us off the ship and we are fine with that.  

It doesn't matter if you board in the US and don't intend to get off the ship in Canada. The ship enters Canadian waters and docks in Canada and you will be on the ship so you must use the ArriveCan app. Period.

• Like 2

Here are a couple of solutions to try:

1.  You forgot your password

If you forget your password, select "Reset password" or "Forgot Password?" below the sign in button. Make sure you enter the same email address you used to create your account. ArriveCAN will send instructions by email on how to reset your password.

THEN remember your password.  I used the same one I used for Princess.  If you are using Safari or Chrome, they may have your password some place in system preferences.

2.  I did call the 833 toll free number and spoke to a nice agent

Hours of operation

7 am to 8 pm ET, 7 days a week.

On statutory holidays, calls are answered between 8 am and 8 pm ET.

Contact information

Services are offered in English and French.

• Telephone: 1-833-283-7403 (toll-free from Canada or the U.S)

3.  Open and account under the other traveler.  You are able to fill in information for you and the other person if you are traveling together.  (That was my question).

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Satxdiver:  I am sorry to hear of your difficulty with this.  I had problems with it too.  My DH and I have older android phones which are limited.  With the help of a friend, we got it done.

What I want to share with you is that last month we boarded a ship in Seattle for Alaska. Both HAL and Princess were embarking passengers. In the check in area, I asked one of the reps what would happen if a passenger checking in did not have the arriveCAN done or, better yet, knew nothing about it.  He told us that there is assistance in a designated part of the boarding area to help passengers complete the necessary work.  When he encounters a passenger who needs this help, he gets on the phone and sets up an immediate a visit with the tech person on duty.  We actually witnessed this happening. We were impressed with the great customer service.

I am reading and sensing that arriveCAN may be eliminated in the future.  Fingers crossed.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

I am reading and sensing that arriveCAN may be eliminated in the future.  Fingers crossed....

The government has repeatedly stated that they have no immediate plans to eliminate it. Certainly not this year. Years in the future?? Do you want to keep those fingers crossed that long? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JudithLynne said:

Satxdiver:  I am sorry to hear of your difficulty with this.  I had problems with it too.  My DH and I have older android phones which are limited.  With the help of a friend, we got it done.

What I want to share with you is that last month we boarded a ship in Seattle for Alaska. Both HAL and Princess were embarking passengers. In the check in area, I asked one of the reps what would happen if a passenger checking in did not have the arriveCAN done or, better yet, knew nothing about it.  He told us that there is assistance in a designated part of the boarding area to help passengers complete the necessary work.  When he encounters a passenger who needs this help, he gets on the phone and sets up an immediate a visit with the tech person on duty.  We actually witnessed this happening. We were impressed with the great customer service.

I am reading and sensing that arriveCAN may be eliminated in the future.  Fingers crossed.....

You do not need a phone for Arrivecan there is a web based version so that you can use it on a desktop or laptop computer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, satxdiver said:

ArriveCAN app makes the MC App look like the greatest thing around.

5 hours ago, satxdiver said:

It might be easier for you to wait til your onboard.

We weren't able to finish the Arrivecan info until 3 days before we leave.

I just now tried filling it out for our cruise next week? 

But its over 3 days away.  No go.

Llike others have mentioned, its pretty easy once you get on a roll.

If its 3 days away and still having issue?  See if you can complete onboard.

We didn't have anyone ask us if we Completed it until the day before we were going to be in Canada.

And even then, Nobody looked at it.  And we didn't need to show it getting off the ship in Victoria.

Just now, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

We didn't have anyone ask us if we Completed it until the day before we were going to be in Canada.

And even then, Nobody looked at it.  And we didn't need to show it getting off the ship in Victoria.

What you ought to be able to do is setup and account and add vaccination info and be ready to just enter arrival info within 3 days.

yes, it makes it easier to set up ahead.  But you really don't have to.

Just set up 3 days before & be done with it.

But for someone having issue setting it up?  Might be easier for them to wait til onboard.

And like I said, ship didn't make a big deal onboard.

That was as of a few weeks ago.  We got monthly cruises til end of year, so could change.

4 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I’m sorry, but you cannot enter Canada without providing your required information on ArriveCAN app.  Which cruise are you on?  Are you embarking or disembarking in Canada?  

For people without smart phones there is a long form to fill out.

I just came off the Caribbean Princess in Quebec last week after a 13 day New England / Canada cruise.  ArriveCAN was checked at boarding, but if you didn't have it you still were allowed on board.  About 3 days later, a session was held in one of the lounges to help people who were having problems with the app.

I had completed ArriveCAN before I boarded, but it was also checked by my Cabin Steward a couple of days later, who marked my name off his list.  We made four stops in Canada and no one else ever asked for it.  We did have to complete a Canadian Customs form before our first stop.

Edited by skents
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

But for someone having issue setting it up?  Might be easier for them to wait til onboard.

That was as of a few weeks ago.  We got monthly cruises til end of year, so could change.

But if you are flying, training or driving heck even walking into Canada you will not get into the country without it. Especially for cruises beginning in Canada 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

But if you are flying, training or driving heck even walking into Canada you will not get into the country without it. Especially for cruises beginning in Canada 

Trudeau has to keep it in place since he has spent nearly $25 million on development, maintenance, and advertising.

I am going to compare this to the Hawaii Safe Travels App.

Yes, you did not need it to board the ship, but you had to have it completed before arriving at your first port.

My cabin mate received a letter requiring her to go down to Snooker's Cigar Lounge.  They had the ship's roster (manifest) with a few names highlighted.  I am guessing it was cross referenced with the State of Hawaii with those that received their QR code or was missing something.  The line was LONG....We finally were able to snag an officer who took us to his office.  I will spare you the details of her "fixing" it, then receiving a second letter...blah, blah, blah.  the error was that her name on the ship did not match the name on the app.  

Yes, there were people to help.  Yes, it was a long line.  Yes, EVERYONE had to have the app filled in before the ship docked.  Yes, you were "detained" at the airport if flying in to Hawaii without completing the app/computer process.

I tried to enter the information via my ArriveCan phone app.  Too difficult for old fingers.  Easy with the web version (ha ha...wouldn't you think Princess Medallion Class app would learn from both of these apps).  

You do what you have to do.  It's Canada's requirement.  

51 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

46 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

11 minutes ago, skents said:

I just came off the Caribbean Princess in Quebec last week after a 13 day New England / Canada cruise.  ArriveCAN was checked at boarding, but if you didn't have it you still were allowed on board.  About 3 days later, a session was held in one of the lounges to help people who were having problems with the app.

I had completed ArriveCAN before I boarded, but it was also checked by my Cabin Steward a couple of days later, who marked my name off his list.  We made four stops in Canada and no one else ever asked for it.  We did have to complete a Canadian Customs before our first stop.

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Trudeau has to keep it in place since he has spent nearly $25 million on development, maintenance, and advertising.

Ha Ha...the same thing was said for Governor Ige (Hawaii).

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone  for all the information  you've  provided  and for sharing  your experiences with the Arrive Can program . I have been locked  out for the past week and finally  called Princess .  The Princess  Rep said no worries " We have techs on the pier  and on board the ship to get you into Arrive  Canada ." As an aside , she stated many people  are experiencing  problems  with this tracking system . 

See you on board the Crown on next Saturday ! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Delete the app and download it again

I finished it this morning for the Caribbean Princess on Monday. Here's the link to the website version:

https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/en/welcome

I managed to get the app to work on my phone. I printed out the emailed receipt, though, just to make sure in case I can't get it to work on my phone whenever someone wants to check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JEH said:

Thanks everyone  for all the information  you've  provided  and for sharing  your experiences with the Arrive Can program . I have been locked  out for the past week and finally  called Princess .  The Princess  Rep said no worries " We have techs on the pier  and on board the ship to get you into Arrive  Canada ." As an aside , she stated many people  are experiencing  problems  with this tracking system . 

See you on board the Crown on next Saturday ! 

Yeah but if you need to get to Vancouver you will need the app to cross the border