early disembarkation

You do NOT put your luggage out the night before.  On the last morning, we go to the Windjammer for breakfast (it opens early) and go back to our cabin to brush our teeth and then just wait for the announcement. Usually it starts around 7-7:30 for Florida ports.  Then you check your room - and the safe! - and walk out with your luggage.  If you see your room steward, let them know you're out so they can start on your room.

They will scan you out with your seapass card and you walk the long walk to the terminal where there are two lines - passports, and birth certificates & driver's licenses.  Have your passport out, but they have never looked at it, they simply hold up their tablet, scan your face and you're done. There will be Customs and Immigration officers standing around - if they want to talk to you, they'll find you. Other than that, you're done, and have a safe trip home.  Easy-peasy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Well it depends on your cruiseline. Our's RCI...they ask towards the end of the itinerary. We always do self assist and are off as soon as it's available.

We have never carried our luggage off and always are among the last to leave a ship.

• Haha 1

In Miami, once you are in the terminal, they form two lines, one with people who have a single piece of luggage, you will use the Escalator, and one for people with more than one piece of luggage, you will use the Elevator.  Needless to say, the Escalator is much faster.  Backpacks don't count, just suitcases or other items that you cannot carry.  Last month at Terminal G, they were using Facial Recogntion, you look at the device, if it turns Green, off you Go.  Not sure what happens if it turns Red.+

17 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Of course, if you are in a suite, you can have the concierge walk you off.  You bypass the lines that way.

Yes they will....but first we try ourselves and if there's a line we take the concierge's help.

Thought we were going to need help last Sunday to disembark Jewel in Amsterdam but there was absolutely no line...we got off early as we were worried about Schiphol but departure couldn't have been easier.

1 hour ago, FLHugh said:

In Miami, once you are in the terminal, they form two lines, one with people who have a single piece of luggage, you will use the Escalator, and one for people with more than one piece of luggage, you will use the Elevator.  Needless to say, the Escalator is much faster.  Backpacks don't count, just suitcases or other items that you cannot carry.  Last month at Terminal G, they were using Facial Recogntion, you look at the device, if it turns Green, off you Go.  Not sure what happens if it turns Red.+

Yoi show your passport. Doesn't slow your party down. I have yet to pass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have never carried our luggage off and always are among the last to leave a ship.

Same. On NCL I'd be on til 10-1030, Royal 930-10, usully in last dozen passengers. Funny thing is twice they pulled me aside for extensive secondary screening. Must have thought I was nervous transporting my Drugs!  Use to it, post 911 as frequent traveler, 3-5 times a Month, SOLO, Male, buying Air tickets last minute, they'd always use a Red Pen and I'd be singled out for Secondary...

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 8/12/2022 at 9:26 PM, Cigar King said:

Of course, if you are in a suite, you can have the concierge walk you off.  You bypass the lines that way.

Do they walk you off individually or do they form up a group and take the group at  one time?

31 minutes ago, FLHugh said:

Do they walk you off individually or do they form up a group and take the group at  one time?

That depends on how many suite guests show up at any given time.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:51 PM, chris153 said:

How do you go about walking your own bags off ship last day? Do I arrange that when I get on ship, or do I need to do it beforehand. 

tia for answers. 

No arrangement needed. Just keep your luggage with you and walk off. They ask that you leave early so you are not obstructing the gangway when the bill of people leave.

Too many people stubbornly do self walk off and have no ability to manage their bags and kids causing a mess in the gangway and terminal. 

On 8/12/2022 at 9:26 PM, Cigar King said:

Do they walk you all the way through or just off the ship and you join the line off the ship?  We have an 11am flight out of FLL so I’m wondering if we should carry our own luggage off earlier. 

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Too many people stubbornly do self walk off and have no ability to manage their bags and kids causing a mess in the gangway and terminal. 

I have never seen this.  It's always been an easy process.  Sorry you had to experience it.

12 hours ago, FLHugh said:

As they previously said, it depends.  We usually go off with a group, but we have had private walk off's as well.  Speak to the concierge when you board and you'll be able to work out the details.

1 hour ago, megs193 said:

Do they walk you all the way through or just off the ship and you join the line off the ship?  We have an 11am flight out of FLL so I’m wondering if we should carry our own luggage off earlier. 

Typically, they walk you to the luggage area.  I'd suggest when you get there grab a porter.   They can scoot you right through customs and to a waiting cab.

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Too many people stubbornly do self walk off and have no ability to manage their bags and kids

We see this regularly.  Not to the point that it's a problem, but it's obvious the person does not meet the walk off criteria and it can slow you down if they're in front of you.

We love self-disembarkation -- well, no, we don't love leaving the ship, but we strongly prefer it to putting out our luggage, waiting for an exact time, then searching through a sea of luggage.  Unless physical disability prevents us, we will always use self-disembarkation.  

Last time we sailed, we left our rooms at 7:00 with four kids (youngest was about 12, so perfectly capable of managing a rolling suitcase) ... and we were through the terminal/customs and were literally in our van at 7:20.  We have a long drive and like to get out as quickly as possible.  Admittedly, we were very organized:  kids prepped on exactly what we would do, Dad in front of the line (setting a fast pace) with all ship IDs and passports in hand /laid out in kids' age order, me in the back making sure our little line kept going /no one broke in between us.  We were basically waved on through Customs, which might've been luck.

But, yeah, self-disembarkation was SO EFFICIENT, even with four girls.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury