On board coral Princess now

15 hours ago, arxcards said:

Friends aboard have mentioned this afternoon, the following cruise currently has around 500 booked.

I'll be in this one too (that's the one on the 29th right?)

I was allocated my cabin yesterday. I paid for an inside and was hoping to get an 'upgrade', but nada....  I would have thought that with low numbers, I would have?

3 minutes ago, B'Elanna said:

I'll be in this one too (that's the one on the 29th right?)

I was allocated my cabin yesterday. I paid for an inside and was hoping to get an 'upgrade', but nada....  I would have thought that with low numbers, I would have?

We are a group of four couples, all booked cheap oceanview cabins and all got oceanview cabins.

Once we booked an inside on Princess and got a balcony. It was just for two nights, from Sydney to Brisbane (which was why we booked an inside). 

1 minute ago, RosieCanberra said:

We are a group of four couples, all booked cheap oceanview cabins and all got oceanview cabins.

Once we booked an inside on Princess and got a balcony. It was just for two nights, from Sydney to Brisbane (which was why we booked an inside). 

There are lots of empty balconies, but they also don't need to move you up to make your cabins available for new oceanview bookings either. There are plenty of those too.

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

There are lots of empty balconies, but they also don't need to move you up to make your cabins available for new oceanview bookings either. There are plenty of those too.

Yes, exactly. Two of the couples are new to Princess, I was hoping they might get a free upgrade. 

• Like 1

I wonder if she died from covid, or with covid?

The upgrade fairy isn't dead. She has visited us twice, once for our P&O cruise on Saturday (still a balcony cabin but in a better location) and for our Princess cruise next January. There it is a mega up-grade from an obstructed oceanview on deck 5 to a balcony on deck 10. 🙂 We are extremely happy with both of these.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The upgrade fairy isn't dead. She has visited us twice, once for our P&O cruise on Saturday (still a balcony cabin but in a better location) and for our Princess cruise next January. There it is a mega up-grade from an obstructed oceanview on deck 5 to a balcony on deck 10. 🙂 We are extremely happy with both of these.

Perhaps the upgrade fairy is just too busy to visit as many people on Princess, having to work across a few different lines then.

45 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have never been upgraded. Sure, for a couple of cruises we booked the number 1 cabin, and another couple we elected not to be upgraded because we wanted that location, but we are still zero for lots. I don't know why I ever believed in Kylie-Bell.

The game is changing soon for Princess anyway. I figure some have spotted this already, as they are heading down the path of airline business class upgrades. It is not available here just yet, so the Princess page might not display 

Princess Upgrade – Cruise Room Upgrades - Princess Cruises

Launching on Sept. 6, Princess Upgrade is a bid-based system that allows guests the opportunity to secure a coveted upgrade - to oceanview, balcony, deluxe balcony, mini-suite and even a full suite, according to a press release.

Upgrades will be available initially on five North America-based ships (Caribbean Princess, Discovery Princess, Enchanted Princess, Regal Princess and Ruby Princess), with plans to roll out fleetwide by the end of October.

“Upgrading is a popular request from our guests and we’re pleased to deliver a process that lets them improve their stateroom category by making an offer that fits their budget and lifestyle,” said Princess President John Padgett.

The Princess Upgrade process is simple—once the sailing is within the Final Payment period and full payment has been received, guests will receive an invitation to take part in the program and submit a bid – they can bid on any stateroom category that is above the one they are currently booked in. Guests can change or cancel their bid any time before it is accepted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I always think it's a bit silly that cruise lines don't upgrade cabins when a ship is sailing well below capacity. Especially insides or oceanviews to balconies, balconies to mini-suites. It doesn't cost them anything for those sorts of upgrades and could lead to future bookings in the higher grade of cabin. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, arxcards said:

We have never been upgraded. Sure, for a couple of cruises we booked the number 1 cabin, and another couple we elected not to be upgraded because we wanted that location, but we are still zero for lots. I don't know why I ever believed in Kylie-Bell.

The game is changing soon for Princess anyway. I figure some have spotted this already, as they are heading down the path of airline business class upgrades. It is not available here just yet, so the Princess page might not display 

Launching on Sept. 6, Princess Upgrade is a bid-based system that allows guests the opportunity to secure a coveted upgrade - to oceanview, balcony, deluxe balcony, mini-suite and even a full suite, according to a press release.

Upgrades will be available initially on five North America-based ships (Caribbean Princess, Discovery Princess, Enchanted Princess, Regal Princess and Ruby Princess), with plans to roll out fleetwide by the end of October.

“Upgrading is a popular request from our guests and we’re pleased to deliver a process that lets them improve their stateroom category by making an offer that fits their budget and lifestyle,” said Princess President John Padgett.

The Princess Upgrade process is simple—once the sailing is within the Final Payment period and full payment has been received, guests will receive an invitation to take part in the program and submit a bid – they can bid on any stateroom category that is above the one they are currently booked in. Guests can change or cancel their bid any time before it is accepted.

Yes, Princess is going the way of a few other lines, bid to upgrade make a bit more money

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:29 AM, Tripmode33 said:

Re the speciality restaurants being booked out prior to cruise, have you heard whether cruisers with complimentary speciality dining are having trouble getting a booking once on board. I understand that you can't book these complimentary speciality dining until you are on board (unless it is the Suite first night perk). It would be a shame to miss out on the promo inclusion because of no availability.

I checked this out a bit further now that I am home. If you have a dining credit, it should apply to any night. When I go to book a specialty restaurant on the app, this is what I see on the initial page. No matter which date I select, it stays displayed at the top of the screen. A suite credit would only show for the first night, but the booking bonus from the earlier plus package shows as an option for each night.

Screenshot_20220824-110505_MedallionClass.thumb.jpg.16aaf3ce1f6c820515ac5eae3fad4305.jpg

• Like 1

I checked this out a bit further now that I am home. If you have a dining credit, it should apply to any night. When I go to book a specialty restaurant on the app, this is what I see on the initial page. No matter which date I select, it stays displayed at the top of the screen. A suite credit would only show for the first night, but the booking bonus from the earlier plus package shows as an option for each night.

Screenshot_20220824-110505_MedallionClass.thumb.jpg.16aaf3ce1f6c820515ac5eae3fad4305.jpg

Good. Thanks for that. We have specialty dining included in a cruise early next year.

21 hours ago, sewgood said:

I remember Kevin the cruise director saying that the Universal Lounge was going to be closed for this cruise and it would be used for crew fun activities such as a wine and cheese night and some production/game shows that would be put on for the crew.

I hope the crew enjoy the seven days of lower passenger numbers after all their hard work.

That's a big thumbs up from me. 👍

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, Princess is going the way of a few other lines, bid to upgrade make a bit more money

Like Princess all the other cruise companies need to raise extra revenue.

For their long-term viability.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

So it's like gambling. Would you pay regardless, or only if they except your offer? I'm not a gambler so don't know how these things work🤔

We have been "upgraded" two times on Princess from a C category to an A within the same type of cabin so just a very small upgrade.

The passengers who seemed to get the big upgrades have mostly been first time cruisers with Princess who were moved from an oceanview or inside to a balcony.

But my best loved cabin change was with P&O from a mini-suite to a free oceanview. 😁

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

So it's like gambling. Would you pay regardless, or only if they except your offer? I'm not a gambler so don't know how these things work🤔

You make a bid, if they accept your offer, you pay and get the upgrade, if they don't accept your offer, you don't pay

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sewgood said:

We have been "upgraded" two times on Princess from a C category to an A within the same type of cabin so just a very small upgrade.

The passengers who seemed to get the big upgrades have mostly been first time cruisers with Princess who were moved from an oceanview or inside to a balcony.

But my best loved cabin change was with P&O from a mini-suite to a free oceanview. 😁

The best upgrade I've heard of was a free cruise.  The passenger is a gambler.  

I don't agree with paying extra for an upgrade, as it takes all the magic out of getting an upgrade. 

I was on a cruise once where they announced an Australia Day gathering.  Only three people attended.  The other couple asked the hosts "did you need to raise more revenue to meet your alcohol targets"?

18 hours ago, shireboi said:

how many nights are u having on this ship ??

traveling with many others ?

22 nights.

Just my mum and I.

Although a friend from Adelaide came on board for  this cruise and the next.

Have met plenty of people  on board.

In Eden today 

• Like 1