Snails? In the Escargot?

LovetheSea

Had escargot on Royal Princess in May. I can't imagine ordering escargot and getting mushrooms. I would complain in person and in writing. Do you have a link to the video?

Edit: Did this happen in Bistro Sur La Mer?  There is a dish that is escargot served in mushroom caps but I didn't think that was what is served in the venue.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Had escargot on Royal Princess in May. I can't imagine ordering escargot and getting mushrooms. I would complain in person and in writing. Do you have a link to the video?

Edit: Did this happen in Bistro Sur La Mer?  There is a dish that is escargot served in mushroom caps but I didn't think that was what is served in the venue.

IDK if menu on Princess.com is up-to-date, but it lists crispy escargots in panko as an appetizer.

• Like 4

On the video the family went to the Crown Grill for dinner. But his son was disappointed because he wanted to order Escargot in the main dining room .So AFTER they went to the main dining room ,the same night. It came looking like you would normally see it in the dish with the round dish with dips in it. He showed what it was called on the menu "Escargo Bourguignon".

12 hours ago, LovetheSea said:

I saw a video by someone recently on the Discovery, that when they ordered Escargot in the MDR  it had mushrooms instead of snails? My husband always looks forward to the snails. Anyone get snails on the Discovery recently?

10 hours ago, swdke said:

I hate mushrooms, can't stand them, Escargot has always been snails, not mushrooms.  I would know.  Mushrooms, yuck.  LoL 🤣

3 hours ago, LovetheSea said:

He showed what it was called on the menu "Escargo Bourguignon".

Who knows whether this was one mushroom (by mistake) or if it was actually a mushroom at all.  There is too much sauce covering the object in the video to tell if is a mushroom or a snail.  We got real escargot on the Sky in February and on the Caribbean in July. The menu in the video indicates mushrooms are part of the preparation with garlic butter.  That is the same description we have seen before. So my take is you should get real escargot with small bits of mushrooms in the garlic herb butter.  Enjoy.

image.png.0431574f50df74b83572396d3e7dddb1.png

image.png.957b2034cdca26eba6e54111bb136fe7.png

Here is an old menu.  Sorry for the quality:

escargot-menu-2.jpg.8dc2bc631cc70f01922afc99d75f88d3.jpg

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK if menu on Princess.com is up-to-date, but it lists crispy escargots in panko as an appetizer.

I might give that a shot if I see it on a ship. I've never been a fan of the usual escargots, but crispy just might be interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I might give that a shot if I see it on a ship. I've never been a fan of the usual escargots, but crispy just might be interesting.

We love escargot and tried the crispy ones at Le Mer, on the Majestic.  We did not think they were very good, they were very chewy.

• Like 1

Suspect a supply issue.  When I was on the Ruby in February, in Crown Grill for dinner 4 times over 10 day cruise, I order mushroom with I like only once.  What we got looked like canned or frozen mushrooms??? I can do better at home.   Rest of the meal in Crown Grill okay, had a very thin rib steak too but more enough food.

I love escargot but cannot never get anyone at the table to try them.  If they were made with mushrooms, I'm sure they wouldn't mind it at all.  Heck, they might even like them ... and me, too, as a matter of fact.  I think it would be great to have a choice.  

34 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I love escargot but cannot never get anyone at the table to try them.  If they were made with mushrooms, I'm sure they wouldn't mind it at all.  Heck, they might even like them ... and me, too, as a matter of fact.  I think it would be great to have a choice.  

Forget the snails and the mushrooms. Just give me the. garlic butter sauce.  The snails are a bonus.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Who knows whether this was one mushroom (by mistake) or if it was actually a mushroom at all.  There is too much sauce covering the object in the video to tell if is a mushroom or a snail.  We got real escargot on the Sky in February and on the Caribbean in July. The menu in the video indicates mushrooms are part of the preparation with garlic butter.  That is the same description we have seen before. So my take is you should get real escargot with small bits of mushrooms in the garlic herb butter.  Enjoy.

Totally agree. It looked like a normal snail to me. I also agree that it looked like the sauce had bits of mushroom in it. Snails with a garlic and mushroom sauce. For those who dislike mushrooms this would be an issue but it wouldn't bother me. As long as there is a good amount of garlic in the sauce and I have a roll to tear apart and dip in the sauce I'd be happy.

• Like 6

Escargot. While people who are not from France think that the word refers to a specfic dish, in fact it is a generic term for all edible snails. Yes various flavours are used and they are served in those dimpled dishes but the best way is still in their shells with the sauce on the side. No you can't substitute the snail for anything else and still call it escargot. Happy chewing fellow cruisers. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, frankgallager said:

In fact, there are all kinds of mushrooms, and maybe you just happened to come across them. It is necessary to understand. For example I know that there is such an interesting thing as mushroom coffee, here https://www.mushrooms.online/mushroom-coffee/ just about it in detail, how to make it and so on, so it is generally a divine drink, very tonic, I like to drink in the morning before a hard day. 

Totally beside the point.  The dish is escargot, and the poster got mushrooms?. How would you feel if you ordered a mushroom coffee and they served you escargot coffee instead?