Salt water in Pool, Grandeur of the Seas.

JOHN 57

1 hour ago, JOHN 57 said:

thank you John Reid

You're quite welcome.

They pull the water from the ocean. Once a tiny fish got through the filters. There is a touch of chlorine in the mix, but it is not noticeable.

The hot tubs are still fresh water - well, I don't know if "fresh" can ever really be used for a ship hot tub!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, John Reid said:

You're quite welcome.

They pull the water from the ocean. Once a tiny fish got through the filters. There is a touch of chlorine in the mix, but it is not noticeable.

The hot tubs are still fresh water - well, I don't know if "fresh" can ever really be used for a ship hot tub!

Human Soup  😉 

13 minutes ago, John Reid said:

What you describe is a salt water pool in "flow through" mode.  This can only be done when the ship is more than 12 miles from shore.  There is no chlorine added when in flow through mode, as the water is not recirculated.  The pool is constantly overfilled, and the overflow goes back to sea.  A flow through pool, when the ship is within 12 miles of shore, must either be closed and drained, or switched to "recirculation" mode.  In recirculation mode, they no longer draw sea water in, they just recirculate the water in the pool, as is done with home and land pools.  All pools, whether salt or fresh water, when in recirculation mode, must be chlorinated to 4ppm residual.  That is typically higher than most home pools.  Most ships with salt water pools do not switch to flow through mode, unless the ship is going to have 2 or more sea days in a row, since once the change back to recirculation, they need to close the pool until the chlorine reaches the required level.  Constantly switching from flow through to recirculation costs a lot more in chlorine than just keeping the pool on recirculation during sea days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I normally get up early and spend some time in the hot tub and swimming laps in the pool when it's empty.  I swim an underwater pull-down breaststroke as it's easiest on my arthritis (I only know what that is because my wife, who was a competitive swimmer in high school told me).  Based on the reaction of my eyes, I think all the pools on Voyager and Freedom class have been salt water.  Sometimes it seems saltier than other, so your explanation @chengkp75 makes sense.

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

What you describe is a salt water pool in "flow through" mode.  This can only be done when the ship is more than 12 miles from shore.  There is no chlorine added when in flow through mode, as the water is not recirculated.  The pool is constantly overfilled, and the overflow goes back to sea.  A flow through pool, when the ship is within 12 miles of shore, must either be closed and drained, or switched to "recirculation" mode.  In recirculation mode, they no longer draw sea water in, they just recirculate the water in the pool, as is done with home and land pools.  All pools, whether salt or fresh water, when in recirculation mode, must be chlorinated to 4ppm residual.  That is typically higher than most home pools.  Most ships with salt water pools do not switch to flow through mode, unless the ship is going to have 2 or more sea days in a row, since once the change back to recirculation, they need to close the pool until the chlorine reaches the required level.  Constantly switching from flow through to recirculation costs a lot more in chlorine than just keeping the pool on recirculation during sea days.

When a pool is in recirculation mode and has been chlorinated do they have to treat the water as grey water when it comes times to dump it or can it be sent straight into the sea once off shore?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

When a pool is in recirculation mode and has been chlorinated do they have to treat the water as grey water when it comes times to dump it or can it be sent straight into the sea once off shore?

No, its pool water, and can go overboard with no treatment, though some places have restrictions on pumping chlorinated water overboard near shore, and some places even have restrictions on pumping fresh water overboard in certain areas (affects the salinity in close proximity).  Having said that, it is perfectly legal to pump gray water (sinks, showers, galleys, laundry, not black water from toilets) overboard when outside 12 miles, with no treatment whatsoever.  Most cargo ships do this.  Cruise ships treat their gray water mixed with the black water, because it dilutes the black water entering the treatment plant, and to get the effluent to near drinking standards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Having said that, it is perfectly legal to pump gray water (sinks, showers, galleys, laundry, not black water from toilets) overboard when outside 12 miles, with no treatment whatsoever. 

Dumping water from the laundry feels worse than perfectly natural feces and a bit of paper? I'd think that life in the ocean can deal with or may even welcome a bit more poop but isn't very enthusiastic about detergents?

12 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Dumping water from the laundry feels worse than perfectly natural feces and a bit of paper? I'd think that life in the ocean can deal with or may even welcome a bit more poop but isn't very enthusiastic about detergents?

It is about the fecal coliform bacteria, more than phosphates in detergents.  The ship has to be underway to discharge gray water, so it is dispersed, and the laundry water is small in comparison to the total gray water volume.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1