Sneakers in Specialty Restaurants

dolls123

I have not worn a suit on a cruise since our first one in 2000.   Heck, we used to change and wife would put on a dress and I'd put on a pair of khakis and a button down shirt before dinner.  I don't even do that anymore.  Usually it's either shorts if it's warm out our jeans and polo shirt or "tropical" shirt.   On the "formal' nights MAYBE I'll wear the khakis, but still just a polo shirt or very casual button down shirt.

As for sneakers, I have my everyday pair and my "going out" pair.   Those are a pair of biege Sketchers that just look a little nicer than my normal ones.  But that's a personal choice.  If I forgot to bring those, my regular sneakers would be fine too.

12 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Absolutely!  They can bury me in a "track" suit, as long as it is 100% cotton and not goofy looking.😎

(disclaimer: I'll be cremated because I'm too cheap to pay for one of those fancy funerals.  Those are more for the Haven crowd. 🤣  The Heaven crowd couldn't care less.....🥳)

I don't care what they dress me in before they cremate me. I'm not going to be there so it makes no difference!! Like you, I don't own a suit, or even a sportcoat. Gave that c**p up years ago!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I only own one suit that I wear to weddings and funerals.

If that's the only place you need to wear one, why have more? I have about 20 fall/winter suits and maybe 10-12 spring/summer ones. Before the pandemic I wore a suit to work every day, since I work in an environment with a dress code and like to look professional. Ironically, since the pandemic I almost never wear a suit and I miss it. Different strokes for different folks!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Yes, with knee high socks with cuffs. 

B49E0352-7230-4BBC-BE7F-1400C1233C30.thumb.webp.6f98450172288aa049e45afb38806ab4.webp

Now THAT'S more like it. There's a world of difference between Bermuda casual and the kind of attire often seen on internet sites of shoppers at a certain American discount store chain. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dolls123 said:

My grown son is sailing with us on the Spirit and wants to know if he can wear his sneakers in the Specialty Restaurants? He wears them with his suits. 

Sneakers are fine in all restaurants for all meals. Le Bistro and the Windows main dining room request that gents wear long pants (dockers or jeans are fine) for dinner). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sneakers are fine in all restaurants for all meals. Le Bistro and the Windows main dining room request that gents wear long pants (dockers or jeans are fine) for dinner). 

What are dockers? Are those like casual pants, khakis, chinos? Something like that? Or are they shoes? Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

What are dockers? Are those like casual pants, khakis, chinos? Something like that? Or are they shoes? Thanks.

Dockers are a brand name pant that has historically been described as chinos or khakis. 

I think they might make shoes now...oddly I had Dockers slippers a few years ago that were not too comfortable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Dockers are a brand name pant that has historically been described as chinos or khakis. 

I think they might make shoes now...oddly I had Dockers slippers a few years ago that were not too comfortable.

Thank you! I've seen the name dockers before but never asked. Thanks for the post. 🙂

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Right, Dockers is a sub brand of Levi Strauss.  In addition to the aforementioned "chinos" or "khakis" they make shoes, belts, and other forms of what is often referred to as "business casual" apparel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I only own one suit that I wear to weddings and funerals.

Ah! The WIF suit! Weddings, Interviews and Funerals. Guess suits are no longer de rigueur for Interviews.

p.s. For those who speak the Queen’s English, pants are trousers. 

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I have the perfect solution to the sneakers/suit issue.  Just don't own a suit.  Problem solved!!!

(full disclosure: I do have one cheap Amazon suit in the back of my closet in case somebody dies....not including me - burying me in a suit would be the ultimate insult)

Is that a leisure suit in your closet?

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

If that's the only place you need to wear one, why have more? I have about 20 fall/winter suits and maybe 10-12 spring/summer ones. Before the pandemic I wore a suit to work every day, since I work in an environment with a dress code and like to look professional. Ironically, since the pandemic I almost never wear a suit and I miss it. Different strokes for different folks!

I am retired but when I worked it was mandatory to wear a suit and tie every day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dolls123 said:

LOL, thanks for the laughs and I'll let my son know yes to sneakers and forget the suit. 

I never bring so-called dress shoes any more, just sneakers, usually a neutral color but I will wear my red ones to dinner if I am in the mood.

4 hours ago, tetleytea said:

Another observation I had is that most of the time on the mainstream cruise lines, the restaurant hosts tend to err on the side of lax.  They know it's your vacation, and they know you pay gratuities.

I did have a friend in shorts sent back to change before entering Ocean Blue.  It was really my fault:  They do call you from the restaurant to remind of the dress code.  And since I always wear long pants I  didn't think anything of it...and didn't inform my friends.

2 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I did have a friend in shorts sent back to change before entering Ocean Blue.  It was really my fault:  They do call you from the restaurant to remind of the dress code.  And since I always wear long pants I  didn't think anything of it...and didn't inform my friends.

I should say the wait staff will be lax inasmuch as they can get away with it, and shorts for men is not always something they can get away with.  Anything grey-area will usually go in your favor.  

Over on the Princess board, it seems the men have not been allowed to wear shorts into the MDR on most days, while the women can.  Weird.  Some people have taken issue with that (including me).

4 hours ago, dolls123 said:

LOL, thanks for the laughs and I'll let my son know yes to sneakers and forget the suit. 

I used to bring a suit on cruises but stopped years ago.  Now I just bring a couple of collared shirts and one or two pair of khakis for eating in Le Bistro and in the MDR that requires long pants.  I've worn sneakers in the past, now that I'm in my 50s I go with Skechers.

7 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

This is definitely NOT TRUE... The only dining areas on NCL that require long pants are Le Bistro, Ocean Blue / Bayamo, and Cagney's... Honestly, I think that I've worn shorts to Cagney's before without any problems.

No problems with the shoes...

AND sorry to hijack the thread but @sid_9169 I cannot find an old review of yours where you told us about the non-hangover pills. I got them before and like them. Have done family trips since and have not needed them, but girls' trip to Europe in a few days, can you please tell me what you get again? Thank you!

Again, sorry for the Hijack!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gotscrapz said:

AND sorry to hijack the thread but @sid_9169 I cannot find an old review of yours where you told us about the non-hangover pills. I got them before and like them. Have done family trips since and have not needed them, but girls' trip to Europe in a few days, can you please tell me what you get again? Thank you!

Non-hangover pills?   Is this Milk Thistle?   I take that, and I don't drink.  People are known to take a bomb of about 5 of those, and anecdotally avoid the hangover.   It works by helping your liver.

Hijack underway, we are holding you all hostage for ransom.  We want free Havens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, gotscrapz said:

These companies should be paying me for this advertising... I've used several different remedies, but most recently Flyby pills and the Bytox hangover patch...