Clarification on dining room attire

4 minutes ago, Willwork4cruises said:

Hi,

I’ve done several searches and determined what is ok for casual, smart casual, and formal. I also saw there would likely be two formal nights on a 7 day cruise. How many of each of the other nights should I prepare for? 

Thanks,

Amanda

The dress codes are relaxed.  From a man's perspective, other than formal nights, I wear to be comfortable in shorts and/or shirt or polo shirt. On formal nights, I wear a blazer/sport coat and shirt with or without a tie.

Some will wear tuxs and gowns, majority  dress in suits and sport coats and others shorts and polo shirts, although some will have shorts or  jeans and t-shirts.

32 minutes ago, Willwork4cruises said:

Hi,

I’ve done several searches and determined what is ok for casual, smart casual, and formal. I also saw there would likely be two formal nights on a 7 day cruise. How many of each of the other nights should I prepare for? 

Thanks,

Amanda

Formal if you want for pictures. Dress your best is whatever is your best. I've seen men in shorts and when I asked he said no lobste, not the real dress up night. 

It's up to you. No bathing suits.  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, nelblu said:

The dress codes are relaxed.  From a man's perspective, other than formal nights, I wear to be comfortable in shorts and/or shirt or polo shirt. On formal nights, I wear a blazer/sport coat and shirt with or without a tie.

Some will wear tuxs and gowns, majority  dress in suits and sport coats and others shorts and polo shirts, although some will have shorts or  jeans and t-shirts.

Please tell me pants are also involved!!!’😳

Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn’t want to pack a bunch of stuff I didn’t need. I was hoping it was more relaxed because we are thinking of doing the Voyager out of San Juan with no sea days. The thought of dressing up every night for dinner was making me wonder if I should pick a different cruise. I’ve done many Carnival cruises but nothing is grabbing my attention this year so I’m branching out. 

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

You ASKED a stranger why he was wearing shorts?

I think I said he was a tablemate and he had been kinda vocal since night one. Him and myself and a couple at a 4 top. He was unusually vocal lolol. Like the no sugar added berry cobbler had him jumping up and yelling he wasnt on a diet. On the paper menu there is a kinda cube for no sugar added desserts. He was a character and so sure I laughed at his shorts. Might have been just the 2 of us that night. I'm still emailing him. See him on the allure in dec. Didnt bother me about the shorts, I was laughing and that was his reply. It wasnt a real dress up night. Or we would have lobster.

We also have 2 weeks on harmony we booked the same night.  I think might have been different if I cared what he wore. I didn't. He made me laugh. I wasnt being critical and he could tell I was laughing.

The reality is there is no longer a dress code on RCI, no matter what the “dress code” is for the night. As long as you don’t show up in a string bikini or speedo, or something similar, you will have no problem at the MDR. 

For what it’s worth, on two recent Celebrity cruises I saw several people turned away from the MDR and heard of similar experiences from talking to other passengers. Apparently Celebrity is still enforcing their dress codes.  

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Formal if you want for pictures. Dress your best is whatever is your best. I've seen men in shorts and when I asked he said no lobste, not the real dress up night. 

It's up to you. No bathing suits.  

so, you have to dress formal to have pictures taken?

2 hours ago, Willwork4cruises said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn’t want to pack a bunch of stuff I didn’t need. I was hoping it was more relaxed because we are thinking of doing the Voyager out of San Juan with no sea days. The thought of dressing up every night for dinner was making me wonder if I should pick a different cruise. I’ve done many Carnival cruises but nothing is grabbing my attention this year so I’m branching out. 

I’ve done the San Juan cruise with no sea days.      
didn’t bring pants.    Shorts every night with a nice button up.    
formal night wore my tux tshirt and nice shorts.   Lol.   

1 hour ago, molsonschooner said:

so, you have to dress formal to have pictures taken?

No, not at all. Just depends on how you want to look in photos. Most people online for pictures on a formal night will be dressed up. I would have photos taken on another day if you feel underdressed. They ain't free, so they don't care what you have on. Other times usually have a more casual backdrop for photo. But it's entirely up to you. What you have on, when you want to do a photo. All your call.

Edited by NotPayinExtra
Added line

41 minutes ago, NotPayinExtra said:

No, not at all. Just depends on how you want to look in photos. Most people online for pictures on a formal night will be dressed up. I would have photos taken on another day if you feel underdressed. They ain't free, so they don't care what you have on. Other times usually have a more casual backdrop for photo. But it's entirely up to you. What you have on, when you want to do a photo. All your call.

You do realize that comment was sarcasm. Lol.  
welcome to CC.  

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I think might have been different if I cared what he wore. I didn't. He made me laugh. I wasnt being critical and he could tell I was laughing.

'

That makes more sense. Sounds like quite a guy. Complaining about a no-sugar dessert option? Too bad there aren't numerous places to get sugary desserts and skacks 24 hours/day.