Captain

Hill4963

We came off Iona yesterday after a wonderful week in the Fjords, our itinerary was identical to yours.

Wesley Dunlop is a great Captain, very popular with the crew and his 6pm announcements are always most enjoyable. He also makes himself available on the quayside several times per cruise usually early morning for an hour or so for anyone to chat to him or take photos etc. 

I hope you all enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

Julie 

Ps the sailaway from Olden is brilliant.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 9:04 PM, Bin man said:

N is Ventura G is Iona don't know why they picked G for Iona though 

Very much veNtura...

auRora

Azura

Britannia

veNtura

Queen elizabeth

queen Mary

queen Victoria

arcadia J

arvia k

iona G

As for why G.... Iona was internally called project Gala.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't care who the Captain is on our cruises, as long as it's not the one who makes those pathetic announcements, the same every day and not even funny.

Sounds like Neil Turnball or Camby two of the nicest captains to be honest. Regardless if they do the same jokes. Makes people laugh and the crew better to be honest. You get Captains that don't even thank the crew after every single cruise.

In my opinion their announcements are very informative obviously not everyone's taste but having a good captain with a sense of humour makes a difference to the cruise and boosts morale.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Sounds like Neil Turnball or Camby two of the nicest captains to be honest. Regardless if they do the same jokes. Makes people laugh and the crew better to be honest. You get Captains that don't even thank the crew after every single cruise.

In my opinion their announcements are very informative obviously not everyone's taste but having a good captain with a sense of humour makes a difference to the cruise and boosts morale.

Totally agree……

• Like 2

The Capt we just had was great on the formal night but apart from that never saw him and his announcements were non descript. 

We appear to have Capt Martin Allen on our next cruise. Any thoughts or do we jump overboard now?

Neil Turnball's tannoy style and sense of humour are indeed subjective.

However, when things go off script, he puts his game face on. 

Years go we missed Porto with a couple of days notice.  Full explanation as to the reasoning and some information about the replacement port. 

Missed Fuertaventura this year, actually approached the port, but had to abort due high winds.  Initially an announcement that we may not get in.  Followed by the announcement that it was unsafe to get in.  We were still at breakfast.  Again a full explanation, and followed up at times during the day with information about our routing. 

On a TA we were several hours late getting into Antigua, first port of call after Funchal.  Again, A full explanation.  Prior to arriving in St Johns Capt Turnbull said he would be at the gangway to take questions regarding the late arrival.  We didn't get off till after lunch, he was still there.

• Like 9

We had Neil on a Christmas cruise on Aurora, we thought he was one of the best Captains we had had. We looked forward to his updates and he gave a commentary on our passage into Oslo which was really informative. 

I’d rather hear some of his old jokes than have the virtual Captain, when you hardly hear from them and wonder if they actually aboard. 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

But they are the same every day?  Surely even he must know some new ones!!  Hopefully he is on the big kids ships now and not Aurora 🙂

He’s on Azura…..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Funniest and most sociable captain was Andy Willard. 

My favourite too --- really miss his presence on a ship. I understand that people don't get what difference a Captain makes, but if you have experienced the difference it makes you understand ....

• Like 3

This thread got me thinking, always a dangerous thing😊

After many years of cruising with P&O with lots of different Captains, the only 2 I can remember are Neil Turnbull and Wesley Dunlop, and would happily sail with either of them again. 

I suppose that means the others cannot have been that memorable, or I just did not take any notice. 

We never crashed, so they must have been OK... 😂

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Totally agree re sailing again with NT and WD

On my list would also be Charlie Carr,  our 1st Captain on Ventura back in 2012, a real character and always speaking to guests around the ship with his worry beads close to hand!

Robert Cambys thoughts for the day always make me smile and the memory of me trying to explain his 3 types of Captain line to 1 of the crew never fails to make me laugh!!

Paul Brown leading the dancing on the open decks at midnight in the Caribbean on New Year's Eve . . .

Happy memories!!

• Like 6