Is Balcony a MUST on a cruise to Alaska? Is Ocean-view a must? It is a 7 day Northbound in our case.

Lumidapri

We are planning our first cruise in Alaska and reserved an ocean-view cabin. Our friends are saying that we will regret it if we don't upgrade to Balcony. Can we get some other opinions, from travelers who have done both? The assumption is that the cabin is on the land side not the ocean. Thank you.

You will get a variety of opinions with some saying you definitely need a balcony and others saying it is not needed. I have taken three cruises to Alaska, two with inside cabins and one with a balcony. While a balcony is nice, I would not choose a balcony if it meant having to give up some excursions that I was interested in to offset the cost.

My last cruise to Alaska was in an inside cabin on a deck with an enclosed viewing area just a few steps away. I spent a lot of time in the enclosed area while sailing, could easily move to either side of the ship for viewing and could quickly go one flight up to an outdoor deck for better viewing. I could go back to my cabin easily without waiting on an elevator or climbing multiple flights if steps. 

Bottom line, if cost is not an issue, then go for the balcony. If you are looking for a good middle-ground option, check the deck plans for interior or Oceanview cabins on or near a deck with a nice viewing area with seating and book a cabin on that deck.

• Like 2

I've spent a few years cruising Alaska and our current preferred cruise lines has zero non-balcony cabins.

Even with a balcony, I am out on deck, at the fwd end and on both sides, which provides greater views than from your balcony, which only sees 1 side. BTW - when scenic cruising in Alaska, you normally have land on both sides of the ship.

If we cruised on another cruise line, the choice of a balcony would not be high on our list.

As a non "people person", I won't cruise without a balcony. My husband and I use our balcony a lot, or just have the door open while we're in the room. I would keep the ocean view and then bid up closer to the time of departure. You can save money that way for sure. But my vote is, ESPECIALLY in Alaska, go for the balcony.

• Like 1

We have booked our 4th Alaskan cruise for June of 2023.  I would not ever do an Alaskan cruise without a balcony.  There is nothing better than getting up in the morning with a cup of coffee and seing whales from the balcony.  Another big advantage is viewing the glaciers.  The ship will do a slow 360 once at the glacier and seing it from the piece and quite of your own balcony is much better than trying to look over the crowd.

For us, an Oceanview is fine.  They are usually on lower decks, which I like.   We spend very little time in our cabin.  We like to get up, go get a cappuccino and sit in the cafe first thing in the morning.  This last cruise, we spent very little time outdoors, except for Hubbard Glacier. It was really windy/cold.  

I remember my dad cruising and was having a hard time walking, out of breath.  This was a Mexican cruise.  I told him to get a balcony, as he wanted to spend a lot of time in the room.

I have had everything from insides to suites in Alaska. I really don't care.

I think those who stay on their balcony in Alaska miss a lot of the view!

The best view in Alaska is on a deck where you can walk around. If I had to choose between spending money on a balcony or on excursions, I would spend the money on excursions.

• Like 3

When deciding on a balcony, one must decide how far you want to walk and the time to get to a location where you can take a photo.  Do you want to be able to step out on your balcony to search for wildlife while you are still in your pajamas? Do you want to use your own bathroom while photographing Alaska or share a public bathroom with hundreds of your fellow passengers?  Would you like to eat a Room Service breakfast while sailing into a new port on a private balcony?  Can you hold your camera above all of the heads that may be in front of you in the public areas?  Does giving up your public area front row railing position in Glacier Bay for restroom/food visits?

As a photographer, I will always book a balcony, enjoy eating meals on my balcony, enjoy scanning for wildlife, taking photos on a whim or when the TV shows passing whales, my minibar with snacks a few feet away, private bathroom, no heads or cameras blocking my photo opportunities, etc.

Everyone has their own opinion and budget to consider when making stateroom and balcony choices.

• Like 3

I have had it both ways and now spend my money on excursions. Weather is unpredictable .  I spend time outdoors  in public areas and glacier viewing on the promenade deck. Not crowded and bathroom nearby.  Only spent time on balcony when I traveled with someone with mobility issue and it wasn't raining. 

• Like 1

It is true, that one should be up on deck wandering around to see the scenery. However, as has been stated by so many; it is such a treat to be able to watch and enjoy the scenery and wildlife BEFORE you have become dressed, brushed your teeth, etc. ..... or while you are getting ready to go to dinner.....

On one Alaska cruise, the 7 of us gathered on our friends' balcony to enjoy the whales. (It was a corner aft).

Due to a last minute reservation on one of our Alaska cruises, we had an inside and NEVER again! We were like next door to an engine room; granted not ALL insides are noisy.

So, if it is in your budget, then go for it and be picky on location, balcony size and get one that is at least partially covered, because not all balconies are covered. If it is a budget breaker, then book what you think is best for you.

• Thanks 1

We had booked an inside and were able to upgrade to a balcony due to price drops, so I can’t comment on both.  The times we used the balcony were when we were bored in the room (like when the other was in the bathroom and we had nothing else to do except for wait), if we were getting ready and gathering our things to leave (again, waiting for the other), or when we had no other activities around the ship to do.....like when we got bored staring at the glacier after an hour, we went to the Dog house and brought hot dogs back to the cabin and read a book.  It was enjoyable, but I could probably have done without , though I would have at least wanted to peek outside to see where we were, which you can do in your ocean view.  I would keep an eye on price drops for the upgrade, and save the money otherwise for activities off the ship.  

6 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

We are also “balcony snobs” and we spend a lot of time on ours, especially at night and if I wake up in the middle of the night, I’ll go sit out there until I get sleepy again. 

Do any of you have a preference of fore or aft? I booked aft (late to book. Midship sold out)

As an avid photographer, I will only cruise in an aft balcony stateroom except for the Caribbean.  Aft staterooms are just a short elevator ride up from the Room Service kitchen which means hot food on every order.  The sound of the propeller wake is soothing for a peaceful night's sleep.

The Deck 5 stateroom balconies on the Westerdam, and most Vista-class ships, protect you from the weather since they are fully covered.

Kudos on your aft stateroom.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

I’ve been twice, inside 1st and then a balcony. My next will be a balcony. But your question in my opinion should be answered like this: Make a Pros and Cons list and compare. The longest list wins. Having the balcony gives you access to both worlds but like someone said, the savings can be applied to excursions. GL and enjoy the beauty. 

On 9/3/2022 at 6:09 AM, spleenstomper said:

We are also “balcony snobs” and we spend a lot of time on ours, especially at night and if I wake up in the middle of the night, I’ll go sit out there until I get sleepy again. 

Do any of you have a preference of fore or aft? I booked aft (late to book. Midship sold out)

I would not do forward as that has the most motion.

Though - I like being on deck looking forward at what is coming. It also goes along with ship's commentary. If you are on an aft balcony, you are always behind what they are talking about.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

@Coral thanks, I did starboard aft. We own a boat and so I really like boat motion and get a little disappointed on cruises when it’s really smooth.   But I chose SA anyway lol 

I used to always choose aft. Now it is not important to me to face aft but I usually go towards the aft on the side. Not exactly sure why. Most important thing is to be in Alaska and enjoy the beauty and you will do that.

Enjoy Alaska! My first trip was in 2002 I think. I had a free cruise for 7 nights anywhere and was taking a parent so we had a choice of either Alaska, Mexico or Caribbean. I choose Alaska as "I never would pay to go to Alaska". OMG - I LOVED Alaska. I will pick Alaska over Caribbean any day of the week. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I have gone probably a dozen times or more since then.

Make sure you bring rain gear. Later in the season can be more rainy. Please report back when you return. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1