Corkage fee and carry on

vino100

2 minutes ago, vino100 said:

I haven’t cruised since pre Covid. What is the corkage fee per bottle and can you still bring on one bottle for free. 
sorry if this has already been asked. 
thanks. 

The current corkage fee on Princess is now $20 per bottle (I’ve seen some still just charge $15 a bottle) and yes, you can take on one bottle to be consumed in your stateroom free of charge per person with up to two bottles per stateroom.  Again, you may be able to get in with three bottles even if you are all in one stateroom.  I’m not suggesting to cheat the system, just mentioning the reality of what is being done.  

10 minutes ago, vino100 said:

Thanks for the info. 
if you pay the corkage can you bring the wine to dining venues? 

Absolutely you can!  If you bring on more than your allotted amount, they will place a sticker on each bottle you intend to drink outside of your cabin.  They will charge the corkage for those particular bottles and you can always take them into the dining room or take a glass of wine anywhere throughout the ship. 

46 minutes ago, vino100 said:

Thanks for the info. 

You can take any of your BYOW anywhere to dine or to a bar.  If you have not pre-paid the corkage, then you are subject to the fee when the bottle is first opened.  Once the bottle is open, you are not charged again the next night at dinner.  Sometimes,  your waiter might not write you up for the corkage.  

If the wine table is setup and operating when you arrive for check-in, they will direct you there and get charged corkage.  I have found in the past that they aren't setup if among the earliest arrivals for check-in.  But it is supposedly pay-me-now-or-pay-me-later as a bottle coming into the DR without a sticker means not paid and you can be written up by your waiter and charged to on board account.  Either way, it works.  But it can be better for the guest if that wine table is not actually operating when you check in.  By that I mean there are chances to not be charged for every bottle over the first two free ones.

• Like 1

Pre Covid I found the wine table was often not set up if I arrived early. However post Covid it has always been set up and the folks at the scanning machine have consistently directed me to the table. I have sailed a lot since the restart and have always brought on wine. Post Covid I’ve sailed mostly out of SF but also from San Pedro and Seattle.  

As a side note, twice this spring I brought on a 750 ml bottle of my favorite Amalga Distillery Gin from Juneau & once brought on a bottle of wine from a port stop and all times I wasn’t charged and it wasn’t held till end of cruise. Yes I had the bottles completely out in the open in an open bag that did nothing to conceal them. These were on one Pacific Northwest and 2 Alaska sailings. 

Go figure. I’ve not been on a ship since June though so my information is considered old news. Lol. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

As a side note, twice this spring I brought on a 750 ml bottle of my favorite Amalga Distillery Gin from Juneau & once brought on a bottle of wine from a port stop and all times I wasn’t charged and it wasn’t held till end of cruise. Yes I had the bottles completely out in the open in an open bag that did nothing to conceal them. These were on one Pacific Northwest and 2 Alaska sailings. 

That's about the average for most people. They say it's not allowed but there isn't any real enforcement. we've always brought liquor back from all the different ports and never had it held although we have never displayer it openly. 

Assuming the wine table is there when we board, is the corkage charged to the on-board account or separately to a credit card? I have pre-paid quite a bit of OBC thinking that I would use it to pay the up-charge for wine not included in the Plus selection, but it sounds like even the higher priced 'by the glass' selection is pretty poor and the majority of the wine I would choose is only available by the bottle.  I'd rather spend the OBC on corkage for my own choice of wine than on buying bottles of something else on board (even with the 25% discount) 

1 hour ago, Martha1974 said:

Assuming the wine table is there when we board, is the corkage charged to the on-board account or separately to a credit card? I have pre-paid quite a bit of OBC thinking that I would use it to pay the up-charge for wine not included in the Plus selection, but it sounds like even the higher priced 'by the glass' selection is pretty poor and the majority of the wine I would choose is only available by the bottle.  I'd rather spend the OBC on corkage for my own choice of wine than on buying bottles of something else on board (even with the 25% discount) 

Charged to stateroom account.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The current corkage fee on Princess is now $20 per bottle (I’ve seen some still just charge $15 a bottle) and yes, you can take on one bottle to be consumed in your stateroom free of charge per person with up to two bottles per stateroom.  Again, you may be able to get in with three bottles even if you are all in one stateroom.  I’m not suggesting to cheat the system, just mentioning the reality of what is being done.  

The limit is 1 x 750ml free of corkage on boarding per adult passenger, which means up to 4 bottles/cabin if there are 4 adults in the cabin.

9 hours ago, vino100 said:

Thanks for the info. 

Yes, corkage is charged on boarding, or in the DR if you carry one of your free bottles to the DR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, konatyme said:

I had forgotten about bringing wine on at embarkation. Does anyone know if this holds true for embarkation from European ports as well? Would love to bring a bottle of wine aboard when we get on in Rome. Thanks!

Same thing at all embarkation ports.

9 hours ago, skynight said:

The limit is 1 x 750ml free of corkage on boarding per adult passenger, which means up to 4 bottles/cabin if there are 4 adults in the cabin.

Correct.  Once our daughter turned 21, we have been sailing with three free bottles per cruise.

3 hours ago, konatyme said:

I had forgotten about bringing wine on at embarkation. Does anyone know if this holds true for embarkation from European ports as well? Would love to bring a bottle of wine aboard when we get on in Rome. Thanks!

And security staff at European ports are employed by the port  authority.  They have zero interest in the alcohol policy of any particular cruise line ! Just saying !

• Like 1

I boarded the Caribbean Princess on August 15. I had two bottles of wine in my backpack. No one mentioned it, and I did not see a table set up to declare the extra bottle voluntarily. I arrived at 1:45. This was the CB's first sailing to leave from New York City this season. Perhaps they were more organized today.

I believe their interest in setting up the collection table has diminished since their crew numbers have been strained thin, plus many people now sail with the Plus package and probably don't bring on wine as much as they used to. 

• Like 1