Voyager

renza

On 9/10/2022 at 7:10 PM, rudeney said:

My wife won't do it - she looked at the menu and said no.  She does not like gourmet food.  

You are not missing anything.  The last few Chef's Tables we did were "eh".   Price has gone up, and quality down...IMHO.   

16 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

Anyone know what deck/where do you enter Voyager on embarkation?  I'm assuming Deck 5 but can't really tell where from the deck plans.

Usually deck 4 - promenade.  Deck 5 is where the lifeboats hang.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, renza said:

I am diamond but only have been on all oasis class, Anthem and freedom over 10 years ago. Booked Voyager out of Puerto Rico for March, got a super cheap friends and family rate but worried I will hate the old outdated ship and entertainment of the ship. We are going to great ports with no sea days. Can anyone tell me some positives about this old ship?  

We did a B2B in April on Explorer (same size as Voyager) and loved it.  San Juan is our favorite port to cruise from since you have long port days.  We are doing Voyager March 26th next year and cannot wait.  You will be fine - doesn't have the bells/whistles that the Oasis Class has, but we don't need all that stuff.  I would much rather have the great port days!  I love the Oasis Class, but you cannot beat going out of San Juan and having all those wonderful port days.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

We were on Voyager in November and loved it so much we are going back in a couple of weeks.

The ports are wonderful. The staff on the Voyager is so friendly. Giovannis had awesome food and attentive service. Good selection in the Windjammer.

Downsides - entertainment is limited, the balconies are like caves, and the mdr was not impressive for breakfast or dinner. 

We were on the Voyager back in September for the TA and loved it.  Best bar we found was The Tavern.  Traveling with twenty people we all would pop in and out at different times there before dinner or evening plans.  Plenty of seating and the music was not loud so you could have a conversation.  

Yes you get on the ship on deck 4.

@Broons77 are you a Ray Bourque fan?  Our cat in our avatar was a Marchand fan. 

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, food we had in the MDR was great breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Izumi's was very good.  Since we are not big dessert eaters we were able to trade our desserts in for 2 additional small plates.  We also went to Chops and it was ok.  Haven't been impressed with Chops in years plus it was a free meal from our travel agent.  

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

Forgot to mention, food we had in the MDR was great breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Izumi's was very good.  Since we are not big dessert eaters we were able to trade our desserts in for 2 additional small plates.  We also went to Chops and it was ok.  Haven't been impressed with Chops in years plus it was a free meal from our travel agent.  

Thanks!  Doing Izumi for my sister's birthday dinner...her choice.   Happy to know it is good.  🙂 

3 hours ago, Magicat said:

@Broons77 are you a Ray Bourque fan?  Our cat in our avatar was a Marchand fan. 

My desk sits under my signed picture of Ray and my sadly unsigned picture of Jerry.  Thus my avatar.  Tossing in the old Boston Garden for kicks.

image.thumb.jpeg.11f014f41747377573481cb88ddd8202.jpeg

I'm assuming kitty was an expert ratter? 😄

I was disappointed lunch AND dinner at Chops on our cruise on Voyager.  I primarily blame understaffing for that, but agree that the Chops experience has been underwhelming on several occasions.

Will be doing Chops for breakfast for three weeks, beginning the end of this month.  

Though we do have an embarkation lunch (for when my sister joins us) in Chops.  Hope we have better success...it will still be more relaxing than the craziness in the WJ on embarkation day.  😮 

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Will be doing Chops for breakfast for three weeks, beginning the end of this month.  

Though we do have an embarkation lunch (for when my sister joins us) in Chops.  Hope we have better success...it will still be more relaxing than the craziness in the WJ on embarkation day.  😮 

Island lady, is the embarkation lunch in Chops something you’ve personally arranged - in November there was a consecutive cruisers lunch in the MDR

Just now, Yorkshire Voyagers said:

Island lady, is the embarkation lunch in Chops something you’ve personally arranged - in November there was a consecutive cruisers lunch in the MDR

We will be doing the (assuming they offer it) consecutive cruisers lunch after leg one...but will opt out to do the lunch in Chops (which I prepaid for online) as a treat to my sister who is boarding on leg 3 to celebrate her birthday.  A little more special than the WJ.  😉 

• Like 1

Just now, island lady said:

We will be doing the (assuming they offer it) consecutive cruisers lunch after leg one...but will opt out to do the lunch in Chops (which I prepaid for online) as a treat to my sister who is boarding on leg 3 to celebrate her birthday.  A little more special than the WJ.  😉 

What a lovely thought and definitely more special than WJ!!

I’ve learned something - To be honest, I didn’t realise Chops was open for lunch on boarding day and I was there for 4 weeks, ha ha.  Although I didn’t do the consecutive cruisers lunch either

Back again on the 22nd for 6 weeks, so might give it a try 

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Voyagers said:

I’ve learned something - To be honest, I didn’t realise Chops was open for lunch on boarding day and I was there for 4 weeks, ha ha.  Although I didn’t do the consecutive cruisers lunch either

I have friends who are in wheelchairs, and they ALWAYS book Chops for lunch on embarkation day.  

The Windjammer isn't wheelchair-friendly on a good day, but embarkation day is an absolute madhouse, so it's incredibly frustrating to wheeled passengers. 

The time I joined them for Chops lunch at embarkation it was amazing how calm and quiet it was -- it makes for a completely different start to your cruise experience.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yorkshire Voyagers said:

Actually have never done one of the embarkation lunches myself, but am doing it as another birthday gift to my sister as a surprise indeed.  😉 

We seem to be hit and miss on the TAD lunches...but have enjoyed a few of them.  

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 9:49 AM, island lady said:

Are they back to serving embarkation lunch in Chops on Voyager?  Back in October, it was listed that way and I booked it, but when we boarded, they had switched it to Giovanni's.  The reason given was that Chops was being used as overflow seating for the Windjammer.

Edited by rudeney

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

Are they back to serving embarkation lunch in Chops on Voyager?  Back in October, it was listed that way and I booked it, but when we boarded, they had switched it to Giovanni's.  The reason given was that Chops was being used as overflow seating for the Windjammer.

All I know is that I have written confirmation of the prepaid embarkation lunch for the four...listed as Chops.  Will be on the ship two week prior to that lunch, so will ask.