Voyager

renza

I am diamond but only have been on all oasis class, Anthem and freedom over 10 years ago. Booked Voyager out of Puerto Rico for March, got a super cheap friends and family rate but worried I will hate the old outdated ship and entertainment of the ship. We are going to great ports with no sea days. Can anyone tell me some positives about this old ship?  

26 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

If you already booked

What does it matter?

Unless you need people to convince you that you made a good choice?

I can cancel without an issue. Don’t need to know if it’s a good choice, just want to see if people who have taken only oasis class if they still like voyager. If you don’t like my question move on. 

• Like 3

We’ve been on her two sister ships adventure and navigator.  Loved them.  We’ve never been on the oasis class, but there is plenty to do on the voyager class ships.  The promenade is great, lots of fun trivia and game shows.  Heck we just got off of the serenade and loved it even though it was smaller.  We sail for the itinerary not the ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm sailing on Voyager in October and have been asking around as well.  My research has found that she was recently freshened up and by all accounts is in wonderful shape.  she doesn't have a ton of food venues, but she does have fun stuff for the kids and good entertainment options.  The only negative for me that I've found has been that there's no thermal suite available at the spa. I have vowed to see past this hardship and enjoy myself anyway.  I hope you enjoy your cruise on her!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, renza said:

I am diamond but only have been on all oasis class, Anthem and freedom over 10 years ago. Booked Voyager out of Puerto Rico for March, got a super cheap friends and family rate but worried I will hate the old outdated ship and entertainment of the ship. We are going to great ports with no sea days. Can anyone tell me some positives about this old ship?  

We were on Voyager earlier this month and she was in very good condition. Some things obviously are dated compared to new ships and entertainment does not compare to the new ships but we had a great time.  

Ours was also a port intensive cruise with 9 ports in 11 days.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would have no qualms about a Voyager-class ship.  

The ones that are "disappointing" to me are the ones below/before Voyager class.  I like having the Royal Promenade versus the Centrum area.  (But even having said that, I still went ahead and booked a super-cheap cruise on Grandeur in order to avoid flying on Thanksgiving weekend.  Any day on a cruise ship is better than a day NOT on a cruise ship!)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We were also on Voyager out of Copenhagen. The itinerary was great. The lack of all the bells and whistles is less important on a port intensive cruise. 

The ship is well maintained (although we met some folks with a negative experience in a GS won through Royal Up). Some areas have been updated with lighter wood and furnishings. 

We had excellent service in the main dining room and Giovanni’s.  We found most of the food was good - with the notable exception of soups which were both thin and puréed to the extent nothing bore any resemblance to any ingredient. This has been true on more than the Voyager. 

The entertainment will be quite different on a Caribbean cruise so I will only say we were very happy that there was a singing group which actually performed songs which came out after the 1960’s. I was beginning to think only groups which sang rat pack song after rat pack song were booked. 

If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been on Oasis, Freedom and Voyager class ships.  All have pros/cons, but we've loved every ship and would cruise on any again.

Voyager is the only ship in that class we haven't been on,  so can't speak to ship specifically.  I love the setup of the pool deck, as we love to lay by pool all day, but prefer seats in the shade.  Voyager class ships provide ample shaded seating, in my opinion.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, renza said:

Thank you all so much for the responses. 

A 7 night Caribbean cruise on Oasis Class and Three transatlantics on Oasis Class, then covid took out 2020 and 2021. January we sailed Navigator, took no less then 5 minutes onboard to say WOW this ship is tiny.  Had a great cruise and booked again for March 2022, once again the cruise was great.  We now have Navigator booked again for NOV 22.  Have Ovation and Quantum booked for SEP/OCT 2022. Next bookings over the next few years will all be on Oasis Class. You will have plenty to do and with no sea days the time will fly by. Royal keeps all their ship clean and sparkly.  Have FUN 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, renza said:

Voyager is one class before Freedom.  It introduced the Promenade and Studio B.  It’s a very good class.  The big difference with the newer ships is no Broadway show. The Promenade is more narrow than Oasis but still enjoyable.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My biggest problem with Voyager is the lack of dinning options.  It only has 3 specialty venues - Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi.  There's no Johnny Rocket's (deleted for the "Amping") and no Sorrento's.  It doesn't stop me from sailing on her, though.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rudeney said:

My biggest problem with Voyager is the lack of dinning options.  It only has 3 specialty venues - Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi.  There's no Johnny Rocket's (deleted for the "Amping") and no Sorrento's.  It doesn't stop me from sailing on her, though.  

We sailed the 11 day itinerary in August and for the first time in 5 years we never bought the UDP for that very reason.  We ended up buying the 5 night package and used a couple of BOGO's and then went to the dining room 4 nights

I am on Voyager from end of January to mid Feb.  (B2B2B) out of PR.  

Last year was EX.  

Only thing I did not like about the ship are the balconies.  They are inset on the older ships, making them feel like large iron caves, and ours had a lot of rust and peeling paint....but I think that part was due to EX not being refurbished yet.  I am hoping the iron cave on Voyager will be in better shape.  

Love...love Chops with the floor to ceiling windows to the sea.  🙂   Also adore the circle VCL bar.  Good times.  

• Like 1

Voyager is a great class of ship!  I had the best time on Adventure!  I even got to stay in the stateroom right above the bridge and got one of the best pictures of my life of a sunset right about the NYC skyline!  

The ship itself has so much to do, and honestly, even though it was my first megaship, I never really felt crowded.

• Like 3

Was the Windjammer originally in the forward of the ship prior to her being Amplified?  The pics on CC page for her make it look as if it is, but the deck plans show it as aft.  Was hoping they will have an outdoor seating area.  We're early birds and love being able to sit outside with our coffee before the crowds arrive.

On 9/3/2022 at 3:18 PM, renza said:

I cannot tell you about Explorer I was going to try her end of this month but switched to a shorter one on Independence. I did hear that the VOOM on Explorer the worse connectivity of any of the ships but I can't tell you I experienced that issue since haven't had a chance to sail on her. I have sailed Navigator once after the upgrade... which I liked Navigator but it wasn't my most favorite sail since I didn't care for my room/location and the toilet wouldn't flush half the time and it leaked because I was under the showers of the spa locker as the upgrade had some issues apparently. Anyways I LOVE ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS. She is all wood and brass, just beautiful, not much extra on her but what she has is perfect enough for me and I am so excited she is coming back to Galveston in a few months. I mainly do Oasis class, those are the ones I prefer but if I had to pick my next favorite class I think I would pick Voyager class over Quantum class or Freedom class. 

5 hours ago, Broons77 said:

Was the Windjammer originally in the forward of the ship prior to her being Amplified?  The pics on CC page for her make it look as if it is, but the deck plans show it as aft.  Was hoping they will have an outdoor seating area.  We're early birds and love being able to sit outside with our coffee before the crowds arrive.

No outdoor seating area unless you go out to the pool deck from the Windjammer.