The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 5th, 2022

richwmn

5 hours ago, 0106 said:

Cilantro tastes soapy to my husband;  I sub fresh parsley and extra lime in his meals.  https://www.allrecipes.com/article/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soa  

Yeah, I kinda get that.  If it is mixed into a dish, I, generally, can't call it out as an ingredient, but if it is sprinkled on top, like a garnish, I do get the soapy flavor.  Then, I continue eating.  😁

5 hours ago, 0106 said:

Be careful with coriander if cilantro gives you migraines, it is the dried form of the herb.

Isn't the spice called coriander produced from the seeds?  The Frugal Gourmet (Remember him?) mentioned once that herbs were leaves and spices were seeds.  That sounds like one of those generalizations that has multiple exceptions,

Regardless, your warning is prudent..

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Teri, I’m so sorry you are dealing with this. We had something similar at my moms’s house. 
We had just finished remodeling the downstairs bathroom so it was usable and DM didn’t have to go upstairs all the time. Unfortunately someone (and I’m not going to say who) forgot to turn off the water to the upstairs toilet after using it and didn’t make sure the toilet tank stopped running. We’ll, it didn’t “seat” and kept running. Which  would have been OK (just a large water bill) except there was a clog at the street, so the (clean) water backed up through the new shower and flooded 3/4 of the downstairs. It was a shock when I went to check on the house (DM had not moved back in yet) and I stepped in more than an inch of water! 😱 

Sounds like what is going on here right now.  Today being Labor Day, I cannot do a thing.  

Just waiting for tomorrow.  

We had about the same amount of water in our bathroom and the carpeting in the bedroom and living room are like wet sponges.  Ugh!

Thanks,

Terri

• Like 9

I have to agree with Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserabout stopping in Dakar, Senegal.  We also had a very uncomfortable visit on our cruise.  The hawkers ganged up on the door of the shuttle bus and would barely let us through.  We tried walking away and trying to sightsee but they followed and would get in your personal space.  After 10 minutes we climbed back on the bus ready to leave it all behind.  If you had a tour somewhere like Lenda mentioned and they protected you from being accosted like that, it would have been much better.😬

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Roy, did you walk out to see the glacier in llulissat?

I did not.  We were due in Illulissat on September 7, but the ice there was so bad we had to scramble a bit to get out but did do a Zodiac tour of the icebergs,  Here's my blog post for that day:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.wordpress.com/2016/09/08/day-cs22-wednesday-september-7-ilulissat-greenland/

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I have to agree with Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserabout stopping in Dakar, Senegal.  We also had a very uncomfortable visit on our cruise.  The hawkers ganged up on the door of the shuttle bus and would barely let us through.  We tried walking away and trying to sightsee but they followed and would get in your personal space.  After 10 minutes we climbed back on the bus ready to leave it all behind.  If you had a tour somewhere like Lenda mentioned and they protected you from being accosted like that, it would have been much better.😬

Sandi, I forgot to mention the hawkers who met us at the shuttle stop.  We did not have as much of a problem walking up the street, but when we returned to the shuttle stop, they descended again.  Once on the bus, while waiting to leave, they pestered us at the open windows and tried to get on the bus.

We did not have that problem on the Ilse de Goree.  The guide lead us from sight to sight, then to an area with various vendors.  In that case, they were all very nice and not overly persistent.  We even found a very nice wooden mask that now graces a wall in Quartzsite.  Even when we stopped at a café for refreshments and had free time to walk around, we were not bothered.  

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

Isn't the spice called coriander produced from the seeds?  The Frugal Gourmet (Remember him?) mentioned once that herbs were leaves and spices were seeds.  That sounds like one of those generalizations that has multiple exceptions,

I still have a Frugal Gourmet cookbook.

Cilantro and coriander come from the plant species — Coriandrum sativum 

They are named differently in different parts of the world. In North America, cilantro refers to the leaves and stalks of the plant. The word “cilantro” is the Spanish name for coriander leaves. Meanwhile, the dried seeds of the plant are called coriander.

Internationally, it’s a different story. Coriander is the name for the leaves and stalks of the plant, while the dried seeds are called coriander seeds.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I did not.  We were due in Illulissat on September 7, but the ice there was so bad we had to scramble a bit to get out but did do a Zodiac tour of the icebergs,  Here's my blog post for that day:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.wordpress.com/2016/09/08/day-cs22-wednesday-september-7-ilulissat-greenland/

Roy

Thanks for your blog post.  I'm glad you finally got a chance to view the glacier that day.  The boardwalk the town has built to walk out to the glacier is awesome.  I'm glad we had such a nice day so we could experience it.  I remember our ship, Seabourn Quest, was able to anchor close in but another ship had to stay far, far away due to ice in the harbor.  The Quest is considered an ice rated ship.

15 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sandi, I forgot to mention the hawkers who met us at the shuttle stop.  We did not have as much of a problem walking up the street, but when we returned to the shuttle stop, they descended again.  Once on the bus, while waiting to leave, they pestered us at the open windows and tried to get on the bus.

We did not have that problem on the Ilse de Goree.  The guide lead us from sight to sight, then to an area with various vendors.  In that case, they were all very nice and not overly persistent.  We even found a very nice wooden mask that now graces a wall in Quartzsite.  Even when we stopped at a café for refreshments and had free time to walk around, we were not bothered.  

Lenda

I'm glad the tour turned out so well after the earlier debacle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for your blog post.  I'm glad you finally got a chance to view the glacier that day.  The boardwalk the town has built to walk out to the glacier is awesome.  I'm glad we had such a nice day so we could experience it.  I remember our ship, Seabourn Quest, was able to anchor close in but another ship had to stay far, far away due to ice in the harbor.  The Quest is considered an ice rated ship.

I'm glad the tour turned out so well after the earlier debacle.

Sandi, actually, the tour was in the morning, and we took the shuttle into town, which ended the day on a sour note.  If we every go back, we'll probably just go to the Isle de Goree or stay on the ship.

I'm glad they built a boardwalk in Illulissat out to see the glacier.  When we were there in 2003, we had to walk across the tundra and climb some of the rocks, which was not the safest.  DH was worried about me, since I'm not always sure footed, but he was the one who slipped coming back and hit his back on a rock.

Lenda

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Belem is situated pretty far up the Guama River and ships must actually anchor pretty far downstream from Icoracy, about 10 miles downstream.  On February 6, 2015 MS Maasdam anchored off Icoracy.  Instead of using our own tenders Amazon system river boats were used to take us ashore.

tender.jpg

We could just barely see the Belem Skyline from the ship:

belem.jpg

I just noted a couple of the sights of Belem.  First was the Presepio, dating from 1616:

presepio1.jpg

There was a panoramic view from the Presepio:

presepio1.jpg

We also visited the Basilica of our Lady of Nazareth:

basicila.jpg

On the way back we got a nice view of our BHB:

maasbelem.jpgth

I was due to visit Dakar on the final segment of Amsterdam's 2014 World Cruise but it did not happen (we cancelled all West Africa stops) due to the Ebola outbreak.

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sandi, actually, the tour was in the morning, and we took the shuttle into town, which ended the day on a sour note.  If we every go back, we'll probably just go to the Isle de Goree or stay on the ship.

I'm glad they built a boardwalk in Illulissat out to see the glacier.  When we were there in 2003, we had to walk across the tundra and climb some of the rocks, which was not the safest.  DH was worried about me, since I'm not always sure footed, but he was the one who slipped coming back and hit his back on a rock.

Lenda

I don't blame you for thinking next time in Dakar you would skip the shuttle into town.  Not worth it!

That really must have been a really hard walk for you two.  In some places there was water, and yes rocks.  It's a good long distance too.  Hope hitting his back on a rock didn't put a damper on your cruise!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Roy @rafinmdany suggestions on what we should do in Belem?  We'll be there from 8 am to 6 pm.

Here is how HAL describes Belem.

Known as the "city of the mango trees" because of the large number of those trees growing there, Belem's historic buildings reflect cultural traces of the seventeenth century. These buildings Include the City Market for meat and the Iron Market for fish. Around the markets and forming part of the same complex is the quayside Ver-o-Peso market, like a picture postcard where colours, smells and flavours are all mixed together into a scene that is varied and original.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Roy @rafinmdany suggestions on what we should do in Belem?  We'll be there from 8 am to 6 pm.

Here is how HAL describes Belem.

Known as the "city of the mango trees" because of the large number of those trees growing there, Belem's historic buildings reflect cultural traces of the seventeenth century. These buildings Include the City Market for meat and the Iron Market for fish. Around the markets and forming part of the same complex is the quayside Ver-o-Peso market, like a picture postcard where colours, smells and flavours are all mixed together into a scene that is varied and original.

I wasn't that impressed by Belem.  I think when I was there there was also a riverboat tour of the river system.  This is how @bobpatjdescribed it:

Happy Canada Day!

We have had Belem on two BHBs itineraries.  The first was on Prinsendam in January, 2011.  We took a HAL tour of the Giant market and away from the city, a tour of the Zoobotanical Park.  Belem is a 30 minute bus ride from the port.

We returned on Maasdam in February, 2015.  This time we took a 5 hour HAL Amazon River System Adventure by Riverboat tour including a 45 minute walk through the Jungle, so we didn’t get into Belem this time.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wasn't that impressed by Belem.  I think when I was there there was also a riverboat tour of the river system.  This is how @bobpatjdescribed it:

Happy Canada Day!

We have had Belem on two BHBs itineraries.  The first was on Prinsendam in January, 2011.  We took a HAL tour of the Giant market and away from the city, a tour of the Zoobotanical Park.  Belem is a 30 minute bus ride from the port.

We returned on Maasdam in February, 2015.  This time we took a 5 hour HAL Amazon River System Adventure by Riverboat tour including a 45 minute walk through the Jungle, so we didn’t get into Belem this time.

Roy

Thanks Roy.  We may do nothing there if it's a 30 minute bus ride from the port.  I'm fine with that.  Walking through the jungle doesn't sound that great right now.  Nor the bus ride with coughing, hacking people aboard.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks Roy.  We may do nothing there if it's a 30 minute bus ride from the port.  I'm fine with that.  Walking through the jungle doesn't sound that great right now.  Nor the bus ride with coughing, hacking people aboard.

A quiet day on an uncrowded ship sounds very nice.

Roy

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Belem is situated pretty far up the Guama River and ships must actually anchor pretty far downstream from Icoracy, about 10 miles downstream.  On February 6, 2015 MS Maasdam anchored off Icoracy.  Instead of using our own tenders Amazon system river boats were used to take us ashore.

tender.jpg

We could just barely see the Belem Skyline from the ship:

belem.jpg

I just noted a couple of the sights of Belem.  First was the Presepio, dating from 1616:

presepio1.jpg

There was a panoramic view from the Presepio:

presepio1.jpg

We also visited the Basilica of our Lady of Nazareth:

basicila.jpg

On the way back we got a nice view of our BHB:

maasbelem.jpgth

I was due to visit Dakar on the final segment of Amsterdam's 2014 World Cruise but it did not happen (we cancelled all West Africa stops) due to the Ebola outbreak.

Roy

Roy, we both thought the ship said we'd dock in Belem to have the hull inspected after the old Regal Princess ran aground on a sandbar 40 miles off the coast.  After reading your post about Belem, I'm not sure where we were,but we were definitely docked so the hull could be inspected.

Lenda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Roy, we both thought the ship said we'd dock in Belem to have the hull inspected after the old Regal Princess ran aground on a sandbar 40 miles off the coast.  After reading your post about Belem, I'm not sure where we were,but we were definitely docked so the hull could be inspected.

Lenda

How big was the old Regal Princess.  Some smaller ships can dock in town, and it may also depend on water levels on the river.

Roy

• Like 1