Upgrading Price for Club Points: Worth It?

njguy_south

Hi, All -- I am trying to decide if paying for an outright upgrade ($1,600 for 7 days) from the Sky Suite to a Celebrity Suite for the additional points is worth it. I am sailing as a single/solo, and am trying to decide if I should reach Elite status on my next cruise to have the benefits for a future cruise in December. Sorry for the length of the post and all of the mathematics, but I am trying to make a decision and need input.

Club Points Currently: 110 Club Points.

The November cruise is in a Sky Suite (8 pts per day) X 7 days(cruise length) giving me an additional +56 pts.

• Because I am sailing single, I get an additional +56 pts.
  • The there is a current special for sailing out of certain ports, (which I am), which will give me an addition +56 pts.
  • I have then added "Go Green," so will get an additional +8 pts. 
  • Total earned on November cruise will be +176pts. 

Potential Club Points in November: 286 Club Points -- only 14 pts. short of Elite.

In December, I have a 11 day cruise booked over the Holidays and into New Years.  That cruise (not in a suite, but in a single on Edge) will give me an additional 33 pts. + 3 "Go Green" points, for a total of +36 pts

Potential Club Points in January: 322 Club Points (without the upgrade + Dec. cruise) -- now at Elite status

UPGRADE SCENERIO: 

However, if I pay for the outright upgrade on the November cruise (cost = $1,600, which will also give me $300 OBC from Celebrity and $350 from my travel agent), I will earn an additional 88 pts. for the upgrade, for a total of 264 pts. in November + 110 exiting points, giving me 374 points and putting me in Elite, with all of the Elite perks available for my December cruise. 

Potential Club Point in January WITH upgrade and Dec. cruise: 410 Club Points.

QUESTION 1: Do you think it is worth $1,600. to earn Elite status for the December cruise?

QUESTION 2: Do you think it is worth the upgrade money to be 88 points closer in points to Elite +?

I sincerely appreciate your input. My overall thought is with these specials and current pricing, I may never move up the ladder this quickly.

How much do you value elite benefits for 1 cruise? For me, I'd value it at the cost of a bag of laundry plus the upgrade discount for CBP and Wifi. That's about it. I also don't value the extra space of a CS all that much, SS works for me.

So, for me, I'd say it's not even close to worth it.

• Thanks 1

While we like the CS and have sailed in them a number of times, we have very little benefit from being either Elie or Elite Plus as we usually travel in suites which come with the beverage pack, tips and internet and since they stopped Zenith guests using  the Retreat there is little incentive for us to reach that level.

I would save your money. The elite benefits don’t make much difference to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MarinerAlex said:

How are you getting additional OBC from Celebrity going from a Sky to Celebrity Suite. I thought all retreat suites got the same amount of OBC, with the variation being if you’re going on a longer cruise.

Don't know. It was what was quoted from my trusted TA, whom I have been using for years.  

We re Elite Plus, and lately have been staying in SS. Most of the benefits are redundant of what you get by staying in a suite.    Yes you do get laundry and if that is important you can pay for it.  It is cheaper to pay for the laundry than paying more for a Celebrity Suite.   We very rarely go to the Elite breakfast as we have Luminae and room service.   The drinks are included in the premium pack that we get and the internet is also included.   Being Elite doesn’t offer much if in a suite and you can always get extra points by participating in the bonus points that  Celebrity offers thru emails 

Don’t chase after the points. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🌅🇺🇸

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

The elite benefits don’t make much difference to us.

I think the only way the Elite status is of benefit is if you book Cruise only.

You will then get the free drinks between 5-7 pm and 90 free minutes internet minutes.

I have attached other perks, which you will find in your cabin on Embarkation day, which should help you decide.

CF52F2E0-571D-4C24-8AC6-9AC31D0614B0.thumb.jpeg.36c1b0faf45220b36969f658cb3d8aa8.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, njguy_south said:

Hi, All -- I am trying to decide if paying for an outright upgrade ($1,600 for 7 days) from the Sky Suite to a Celebrity Suite for the additional points is worth it. I am sailing as a single/solo, and am trying to decide if I should reach Elite status on my next cruise to have the benefits for a future cruise in December. Sorry for the length of the post and all of the mathematics, but I am trying to make a decision and need input.

Club Points Currently: 110 Club Points.

The November cruise is in a Sky Suite (8 pts per day) X 7 days(cruise length) giving me an additional +56 pts.

• Because I am sailing single, I get an additional +56 pts.
  • The there is a current special for sailing out of certain ports, (which I am), which will give me an addition +56 pts.
  • I have then added "Go Green," so will get an additional +8 pts. 
  • Total earned on November cruise will be +176pts. 

Potential Club Points in November: 286 Club Points -- only 14 pts. short of Elite.

In December, I have a 11 day cruise booked over the Holidays and into New Years.  That cruise (not in a suite, but in a single on Edge) will give me an additional 33 pts. + 3 "Go Green" points, for a total of +36 pts

Potential Club Points in January: 322 Club Points (without the upgrade + Dec. cruise) -- now at Elite status

UPGRADE SCENERIO: 

However, if I pay for the outright upgrade on the November cruise (cost = $1,600, which will also give me $300 OBC from Celebrity and $350 from my travel agent), I will earn an additional 88 pts. for the upgrade, for a total of 264 pts. in November + 110 exiting points, giving me 374 points and putting me in Elite, with all of the Elite perks available for my December cruise. 

Potential Club Point in January WITH upgrade and Dec. cruise: 410 Club Points.

QUESTION 1: Do you think it is worth $1,600. to earn Elite status for the December cruise?

QUESTION 2: Do you think it is worth the upgrade money to be 88 points closer in points to Elite +?

I sincerely appreciate your input. My overall thought is with these specials and current pricing, I may never move up the ladder this quickly.

From  financial  and benefits point of view, I don't think it is worth it.  However, if having  the status of  being Elite is that important to you, that is a consideration.  If you do decide to upgrade, I would double check with Celebrity confirming  what your TA indicated.

• Thanks 1

Forget the negative comments. Just Do It!

Bragging rights with your friends, nice invitations when you get to your cabin and an immense feeling of superiority over everyone else.

One day you might even become Zenith and you can wax lyrical about how you’re entitled to everything and how much better it used to be!

If you’re anything like us your mind’s already made up.

See you for brekkie in Tuscan soon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have a better Idea, I book the same cruise as you and you can get my laundry bag and the evening drinks. I'll even discount it by 600 bucks and we make it an even 1k - deal? 😉

Seriously, unless you really appreciate the suite and associated benefits I'd never even think about spending that kind of money on an upgrade just for points. Now if you have a veranda booking and you get the offer to upgrade to Concierge or Aqua for $20/day then sure jump on it.

OP, you don’t say what ship you are sailing on and I think it matters as CS suites on the different classes of ship are very different.

We disliked the one on S class, enclosed bedroom (small) and lounge (small) and bathroom (small with shower over tub) are to my mind less pleasant for a solo cruiser than a nice open lay out Sky Suite…

M class, the bedroom is again enclosed but the living area is nice. The balcony is narrow but okay but the killer is the shower over tub bathroom it is really high to access.

Can not comment on E class as I haven’t experienced, perhaps someone else will comment.

Re suite perks…CS suite perks are the same as for Sky Suite so no gain.

Points for Elite…As others have said the perks of being Elite doesn’t seem to have the same value now most guests have drinks packages. Basically a bag of laundry and Tuscan breakfast. However, if you plan on looking at cruise only rates  in the near future and are not a big drinker then those points will keep your overall holiday cost down.

OP, your choice, if you fancy booking a higher suite then go for it but do some research first and make sure you won’t be disappointed with the room…They are the marmite suites on Celebrity, you either love them or hate them!

• Thanks 1

Like just about everyone else, I cannot come up with a scenario where an upgrade simply for points would be worth anything beyond a nominal amount when it comes strictly to hard dollars and cents.  You can add up for yourself the amount you believe Elite can save you on that 11-nighter (laundry, discounts on upgraded wifi and drink package, free wifi minutes, spa discounts). 

However, there are some real intangibles.  Once you are Elite, you will receive invitations to events that are only for Elite and above (at least, you should).  There's the wine tasting, officers party, and also the breakfast in Tuscan Grille every morning.  There's also the backstage tour of the theatre, and I hear the welcome event is coming back.  I'd like to think they could put together a, Elite-and-Above helipad sailaway or sail-in event during the cruise as well. You also might get a little extra treatment here and there, but there's no telling whether or when that might happen.  All that might very well be worth it to you.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy having those options, even if I wind up not taking advantage of them (about the only reason I wouldn't would be that I had something better going on or because I needed a rest from all the fun!)

Personally, I'd probably go for the upgrade just because of the CS.  I very much like having the separate bedroom for all sorts of reasons (not the least of which is that my Butler can come in and set up breakfast without waking me up).  That separate bedroom is worth even more when I'm travelling with DW because we tend to get up at different times, but I still find it very valuable when sailing solo.

• Thanks 1

The benefit difference between Select and Elite are not worth $1600,  you already get all the perks, drinks, wifi, ..and so on so divide the $1600 by the length of your cruise...and look at the points sheet...how much do you think 1 bag of laundry and  2 pressed items are worth etc.......